Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #1501
MEDIC-0372
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Well...I ended up putting IRC GP-110's on my XT-250.

I had 3500 miles on my original Cheng Shin tires and I think that they were junk.

Front 2.75 S 21 Rear 120/80 S 18

Also got new IRC tubes for the front and rear.

The tires fit great. I only have about 100 miles on them right now but they are about 300 times better than the Cheng Shins on the road (smooth). It feels like I am riding on air. Very stable ride. I will post more info in the future...

They worked out great and the bike rides GREAT!!!

www.irc-tire.com/mce/

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #1502
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,872
Thumb Hooray for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIC-0372
Well...I ended up putting IRC GP-110's on my XT-250.

I had 3500 miles on my original Cheng Shin tires and I think that they were junk.

Front 2.75 S 21 Rear 120/80 S 18

Also got new IRC tubes for the front and rear.

The tires fit great. I only have about 100 miles on them right now but they are about 300 times better than the Cheng Shins on the road (smooth). It feels like I am riding on air. Very stable ride. I will post more info in the future...

They worked out great and the bike rides GREAT!!!

www.irc-tire.com/mce/
I also have the OEM Chen Sh** tires. I've ridden about 1100 miles, and I'm trying to get as many miles as I can stand. Slo-Jo is way more patient than I, and managed to do 8000 miles on his before changing them. I don't know if I can last as long....

Congratulations on your tires!! I'll be there some day, too!!

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason

Roadrunner screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 12:45 PM
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #1503
Slojoe
Easily Amused

Oddometer: 495
Another ride report

Here is a link to a ride report on a ride I went on today. Lots of pictures with great New Mexico scenery.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458098
Slojoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #1504
Slojoe
Easily Amused

Gabbriell,

I only got 6300 miles from the stock tires.

Akasy just put m21s on his CRF230L. They did make the bike better in the soft sand but I think his fuel mileage may heve suffered from the change.

The ride I went on today would have been easier with knobbies and a lower countershaft gear. I like my bike set up for highway and dirt roads because I'm not a Motocross rider. 30 miles today wore me out compared to the 191 mile ride three days ago on good dirt roads and highway.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #1505
Smilin' Dave
I am smiling

Oddometer: 118
vavle adjustment tool

I would like to use the tool shown in the manual. Where are we getting them. Can they be had locally? Dealer was no help. Said its not a Yamaha part.
'96 KLR 650
'88 ZX-10
Smilin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #1506
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin' Dave
I would like to use the tool shown in the manual. Where are we getting them. Can they be had locally? Dealer was no help. Said its not a Yamaha part.
It is too, I have one that the PO have me still in the bag, maybe I can get a part number for it.

If you have a dremel though all you need to do is cut a grove in a piece of metal to hold the adjuster while you tighten the locknut.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #1507
Chiny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerRider
Ahoy there! This is my first post and I have doubts if I'm doing it correctly. Anywho, I picked up a 95 Serow XT as a project bike and have been unsuccessful at producing a smooth running bike.

It idles, albeit slightly fast, and begins to accelerate but about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way into the throttle it starts to die. If I really quickly give LOTS of throttle it barely gets through the flat spot and jumps to life.

I have read of others having similar problems, so any insight would be greatly appreciated!
How much time are giving it to warm up? My bike is completely stock, no 3 turns on the pilot screw, no changing of the jets, no Z1 mod, nothing and it does take a while to warm up. When I choke it and start it up, if it's not warmed up good, and I turn the throttle a little bit it sounds like it wants to die.
Chiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #1508
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin' Dave
Your dealer is lost. That said, when I worked as a mechanic I bought a set of Motion Pro tappet adjuster tools and they have worked perfectly for 15 or more years. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0073/ The set I have are black and only came with an 8mm or 10mm wrench but I they have worked for everything I have needed.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #1509
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,872
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slojoe
Gabbriell,

I only got 6300 miles from the stock tires.

Akasy just put m21s on his CRF230L. They did make the bike better in the soft sand but I think his fuel mileage may heve suffered from the change.

The ride I went on today would have been easier with knobbies and a lower countershaft gear. I like my bike set up for highway and dirt roads because I'm not a Motocross rider. 30 miles today wore me out compared to the 191 mile ride three days ago on good dirt roads and highway.
OK, but you did some HARD riding from what I was reading in NMRider! Did you trailer your bike in like he suggested? I also prefer good dirt roads and highway.

How do you find the change from the Cheng Shins versus your current ones?

CC

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #1510
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbriell
MORE squirmy than the Chen Shins?? I didn't know this was even possible....I heard some other tires work better, but I have to go back into a few threads to see....
Squirmier on road, hook up much better off road. Sorry for the confusion there.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #1511
Slojoe
Easily Amused

Tires

Gabbriell,

The Cheng Shin tires and the Shinko 244 feel about the same to me, on or off road. The Cheng Shin may be better off road because of larger knobs. On the road I noticed a little tread noise from the Shinko tires but none from the Cheng Shin. I like to keep the pressure at 18 front and 22 rear for my usual riding bacause of the amount of highway riding involved in most of my rides.
Last Sunday my XT performed much better in the soft sand with the pressure lowered but I wouldn't want to get on the highway with such low tire pressure.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #1512
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Brake Pedal

I managed to locate a stump that was hiding in some tall grass and bent my brake pedal back until it hit the footpeg. I removed the brake pedal and hammered it back into a somewhat normal shape. I have two questions.....

1) Any reason not to keep using this pedal?
2) Is there an aftermarket pedal available? (Something a little longer than stock would be nice.)

Bonus question....
3) When's that bigger gas tank going to be available?
xKLR_John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #1513
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKLR_John
I managed to locate a stump that was hiding in some tall grass and bent my brake pedal back until it hit the footpeg. I removed the brake pedal and hammered it back into a somewhat normal shape. I have two questions.....

1) Any reason not to keep using this pedal?
2) Is there an aftermarket pedal available? (Something a little longer than stock would be nice.)

Bonus question....
3) When's that bigger gas tank going to be available?
Those things are meant to bend. It should be fine as long as no welds got cracked. You are lucky it wasn't your foot! A guy back in college was riding around with sneakers in tallish grass. He hit a stump and messed his foot up. OUCH!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #1514
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
Those things are meant to bend. It should be fine as long as no welds got cracked. You are lucky it wasn't your foot! A guy back in college was riding around with sneakers in tallish grass. He hit a stump and messed his foot up. OUCH!!!
BTDT with the foot. No big damage in my case (luck!) but enough pain to make me always wear my offroad boots and never let my toes dip down in front of the footpegs.
xKLR_John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #1515
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKLR_John
BTDT with the foot. No big damage in my case (luck!) but enough pain to make me always wear my offroad boots and never let my toes dip down in front of the footpegs.
Ya know, thats one of the big things I dont like about the XT - ground clearance. I have busted my toes a couple times and usually its the same scenario - tall grass + cypress knees or stumps = ouch

Well, I got the XT back to better condition than when I bought her 5 years ago:

Completely new top end, rebuilt forks, spankin new paint job. Now all I need is a headlight cowling and battery side cover and itll be as good as new! Anyone got em for cheap?