Oddometer: 82
PM sent. Thanks!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #1007
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,521
Cant wait for Mobius III

+1 on a good sleeping pad. Pack size is a real dilemma. Last year I used the Thermo. Pro 3, packs pretty small. This year I've got the luxury camp (much better), but its really big so its a trade off.

Is it May 8th yet?
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #1008
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
America's Outback

Hey, that's where we're headed...

Not sure if y'all saw this feature on Southern Utah in the NY Times travel section. Nice slide show.

BTW, just a reminder... if you're PM'ing me for a copy of the packing list... I need your email address since ADV doesn't allow excel spreadsheets to be attached to thread posts nor PM's.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #1009
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,460
Thanks for the So. UT link!
PM sent for list
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #1010
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,615
Wonderful ride report, great pics, great writing. Thanks for sharing.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #1011
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Any updates? May is here.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #1012
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
I saw Dr. Rock and LDF yesterday.

Their stuff is all packed and ready by the door.

Of course Dr. Rock is going to mess around on the computer, fixing GPS routes or checking snow depth, right till the very last minute.

Wait till you see the routes Dr. Rock has plotted.

Be patient, and we will all be rewarded with more great adventures and pictures.

Go Dr. Rock!
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:25 AM   #1013
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I was kidnapped

I can't believe you're up already, Q. That was fun drinkin' on a school night.

My head hurts. Dunno if we're going to make the Ear tonight. LDF sounded pretty wiped when we spoke this morning.

Updates: We've been fighting over whether she should take two pairs of nylon convertible pants, or one.

We're really cutting down to the minimalist bone this trip. Smaller, lighter, and less. The advice of "setting out all your stuff, and only packing half" can only be done so many times. When you're down to one t-shirt -- what are you gonna do, cut it in half?

Still, I think I've got her beat:

Ready (almost) for car service 9:15am Friday.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-13-2009 at 08:45 AM
Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #1014
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

SpOT Tracking link

Is here: http://tinyurl.com/Mobius-3-track

Disclaimers: We're flying out Friday, but won't be rolling until Monday morning, May 11th. Sat. & Sun we'll be hanging in Flagstaff with the family, and taking care of some bike maintenance. Don't Panic.

When tracking, Spot sends out a beacon once every 10 minutes, however, in my testing, only about 80% get through, fewer in cloudy weather or dense forest. So don't worry if it isn't updating for a while.

[Note: The shared tracking page above expires if too many people open it in a seven day period (500 visits/week), however, if you leave the page open and just check for new tracking messages it's fine. You don't need to leave the page open for the whole two weeks, just don't open and close it every ten minutes to check our progress (ahem, you know who you are).]

I'd like to publicly thank our "Spotters": Ethan (urbancowboy), Steve, (vfr870), and John (Speez). Thanks for covering our backs. You're the best. Remember... no news is good news!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 AM   #1015
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Proposed Route

Flagstaff, AZ to Reno, NV. Just shy of 2000 mi. in 13 days riding. Seen below with today's NOAA snow depth overlay. The green line is Mobius III, the yellow was Mobius II.

Looks like the only remaining snow trouble spots are the Tushar range in UT, and the Sierras in CA. I've got a few alternate routes plotted, so we can play it by ear when we get there.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-13-2009 at 08:45 AM
Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #1016
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,034

enjoy, I'll be watching the spot page - and awaiting the RR when you return.

ride safe
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 AM   #1017
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stickers

Through the miracle of technology that is SmugMug, we had a bunch of custom stickers made (kids love stickers) which we will be affixing to various, nefarious, discreet and indiscreet locations along our route. ie. Under bar stools, inside holding cells, eye-level in bathroom stalls, particularly noteworthy brothels, etc. We'll see if anyone can find any of them and posts photos of them up here. Sort of our own little Mobius tag-o-rama.

(the link on the sticker is to this thread, btw).

Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #1018
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,460
Can't wait for part 3!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #1019
Vixen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
yayy!!!! I've been waiting for the two of you to get back on the trail, your adventure has been just AH-mazing to read!

My boyfriend and I are heading up to Jellico with a group of friends on May 22nd to begin our 10 day journey across the eastern section of the TAT. I only hope that our adventure is HALF as exciting as yours has been

Here's to another safe and memorable trip for the two of you........we'll be following in your tire tracks over the next few years!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #1020
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,445

...nuff said, now let's get rolling! And I want to hear more color commentary from LDF this time (if you please)!

MOBIUS LIVES!!
malibu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote