User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
deker9 OP
The Road King Viking

Oddometer: 257
Question F650GS Battery Tender and Power Outlet

Does anyone have any success using the accessory outlet with a battery tender jr to maintain the battery?

The bike in question is the 2009 F650 GS.

The manual has some data suggesting you can do this with a bmw specific charger but I already have several battery tenders I would like to use if possible.
deker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
The accessory socket is shut off after a minute by the canbus, unless you have the bmw charger which will keep it open.

Keep it simple, hook up an SAE connector straight to the battery and hook up the battery tender directly to it.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
deker9 OP
The Road King Viking

I was thinking to keep it neat and tidy I could wire in a second socket from powerlet straight to the battery and use the harness. Also in the manual it says if you turn the key off to the non-lock position then you can charge, you are saying that is only if I have the special BWM charger? What does that charger do that is different?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
gocatgo
Eres mucho gato

Oddometer: 167
I have an '09 F650GS and had installed a second outlet on the right side of the ignition, opposite the OEM one. It is wired directly to the battery so i can use my Battery Tender I already had, as well as electric jacket liner. The OEM outlet is only 2 amps I think, not enough for my Gerbing's. Pretty much only good enough to charge the cell phone for me. Kind of worthless.
The OEM outlet is part of the CANBUS system, so it will kick off a regular battery tender.

BTW the BMW dealer wanted $149 for "their" battery tender, and they charged $60 for parts to install another outlet (I was too lazy to do it myself, even though $60 for an outlet is outrageous, but it is GENUINE BMW - I usually use Powerlet products and they are just fine). So it's better to get the second outlet.

gocatgo screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 03:29 AM
gocatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by deker9
I was thinking to keep it neat and tidy I could wire in a second socket from powerlet straight to the battery and use the harness. Also in the manual it says if you turn the key off to the non-lock position then you can charge, you are saying that is only if I have the special BWM charger? What does that charger do that is different?

The bmw charger "talks" to the canbus and let's it keep the accessory socket turned on. I have a $5 battery tender harness that terminates in an SAE connector which is attached with a ziptie to the steering head frame, you can't even see it without looking for it.. no drilling, no spending more money on bmw accessory socket. I also use it to hook up my GPS when riding, and since you can't use the accessory socket for the cycle airpump, i also plug it into the SAE connector.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Aerostich has a BMW "adapter" for the battery tender. Don't know if that will function the same as the actual BMW unit.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocatgo
The OEM outlet is only 2 amps I think, not enough for my Gerbing's. Pretty much only good enough to charge the cell phone for me. Kind of worthless.
The OEM outlet is part of the CANBUS system, so it will kick off a regular battery tender.

The OEM outlet is 5 amp. Still pretty much useless.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I had my dealer take out the factory outlet and replace it with one that is always on and connected to a fuse panel. Now I can plug the battery tender right in with no problems.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

There is no fuse panel on the 800GS, your outlet is connected directly to the battery.
The Canbus shuts down a circuit that has a short and resets it if the fault is cleared the next time you start the bike, hence, no fuse panel.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
I had my dealer take out the factory outlet and replace it with one that is always on and connected to a fuse panel. Now I can plug the battery tender right in with no problems.

There's no need to remove the existing accessory outlet. See here for more than you'll ever need to know about adding an another outlet to the fake tank cover.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
deker9 OP
The Road King Viking

Excellent, Thanks all. Now we are talking.

I did the whole zip tie the SAE cord on my Harley and get ill every time I look at it. I like the nice clean install.

I now even have a powerlet on the harley so I can just plug in.

I will install the second outlet on the cover I think, that seems like the best idea.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
There is no fuse panel on the 800GS, your outlet is connected directly to the battery.
The Canbus shuts down a circuit that has a short and resets it if the fault is cleared the next time you start the bike, hence, no fuse panel.
On mine I added the Centech fuse panel and wired the plug to it so it is always on.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
justanotherider
justanotherider

Oddometer: 177
You can get a plug with two leads off it that will plug into your stock power outlet connection. You just disconnect it from the stock lead, then plug the auxilary lead onto it. The dealer who worked on my clutch problem just cut the SAE end off a fused battery lead, soldered it to the auxilary lead, and away I went, with my Gerbing plugged into the original socket. If your bike dealer doesn't have the connector, try a BMW car shop - they carry more little fiddly parts, and lots of the wiring bits are the same.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
deker9 OP
The Road King Viking

I am likely going to go under the cover today and check out space around the battery.

I am thinking just install the second outlet right next to the key opposite the stock unit.

The battery is right there so the leads and wiring will be easy and short.

I am not sure I need a fuse block. I just saw neat new device with copper blocks being offered by powerlet, that looks pretty nice for distribution.