ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
RocketMan OP
Out Rocketing

Oddometer: 643
Columbia SC What's it like?

OK, so this isn't exactly a rider type question, but WTF at worst I'll get my ass set on fire and I got a flame extinguisher here somewhere...
so here goes...

I'm in Northern VA and just about fed up with the congestion, cost of living, constant road work that never seems to improve the overall condition of them blah blah blah.. and now to top it off I'm getting RIFF'D from my job due to a contract screw up by management... and I see this perfect job in Columbia SC and I'm thinking I really liked Greenville when Jeanne and I visited there a few years ago and considered moving south. So now this job pops up...

So what's Columbia like? Anyone here live there near there that could answer such questions as...
Low key? good riding (Jeanne and I both ride)? Stuff to do? Friendly folks? Safe? Would taking a few days off to interview be worth it? (if they want me to that is! The job's been posted for a while so I figure they don't have a lot of Sr. HPUX Unix admins banging at their doors!)

Any input appreciated

Thanks

Rocketman
"Live life to the fullest, cause buddy, once you're dead life ain't worth living" Nat King Cole
"Never trust a user with your television overnight,
Don't try to paint your masterpiece by artificial light." - The Pretenders
Always DSTDJR-----Don't Sweat The Details---Just Ride!!!

RocketMan screwed with this post 05-12-2009 at 01:24 AM
RocketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
ruh roh
hey Yall

Oddometer: 296
I really liked Greenville too Thats where the growth is, Upstate.

But I lived in Columbia for 8 years. Its a college town, and a state govt town. ( I was in state govt.) Other than that not much going on. Fort Jackson, the basic training base is there, but you dont often see many soldiers around as the recruits arent allowed off base. East side of town near the base is more economical. West side of town near the Lake is more high end.
Its really several small towns strung together, without much city planning. So the small town thing is going on.

Its hot and sticky. And its hot. Did I mention hot?

Cant hurt to go interview.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
GMFDBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hey, I live in Greenville, have a good friend that grew up in Columbia, well actaully Ballentine, a rural area just west of the city by about 3 exits. Columbia is a good town , Ruh Roh summed it up pretty good, and yes, hot, hot, hot. Another good thing to the location is that your an hour and a half drive from Charleston and equal distance to the mountains above Greenville. In Columbia it only takes a short commute to get out of the city and it opens up to a lot of pine forests and farm land.
GMFDBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,699
If you like sucky football then Columbia rocks.

Sorry, Clemson fan here and could not pass up the chance to get in a Gamecock jab.

Anyway, it is Freakin' hot in the summer. Big City and state capital and all that goes with that. Major University in the middle of town. Lot's of good SEC football if you are into that.

Not a bad place to live. If I wanted a decent size City in South Carolina then Columbia would come in 3rd place and we only have 3. Greenville and Charleston would rank ahead of it, but really not a bad place to live.
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
PU Skunk
not quite as noobish

Oddometer: 214
Did everyone above mention it's hot? Sticky and muggy too. At least it's not Augusta, where it's hot and smells bad to boot. If I was picking major metro areas in SC to live in, they would rank Greenville, Rock Hill, Charleston, N. Augusta/Aiken, Columbia, Myrtle Beach. So it's ahead of the grand strand, but that's about all it has going for it in my mind.
PU Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Mike in Atlanta
Oh Noes

Oddometer: 989
BTW, it's hot. I mean really hot. You can go south or north and its cooler by as much as 10 degrees on a given summer day. Imagine a line from Valdosta GA to Columbia 50 miles wide, it always seems to be 5-10degrees hotter in that area than the surrounding areas. Huge difference between 95 and 105. I was PM over a construction site which meant lots of outdoor work. We had many 100+ days on the jobsite.

I lived in Columbia back in 98-99. Fun town and how can you not love a place with a bunch of young hot chicks walking around with T-shirts that say "go cocks" ???

I too prefer Greenville to Columbia but I could handle Cola given a decent job. Cost of living is surely cheaper too.

07 R1200GS
Mike in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Ridge-Runner
Playing tag like a kid

Oddometer: 437
Pissed It might get a little hot

Hey Rocket just so U dont go into this thing blind, from about the middle of Mar the end of Oct it HOT!!!!!!! But on the plus U are only about 2 to 4 hours away from the best riding in the world for a DSer. Columbia has some cool little joints to tho. U know food dancing and the such. Go check it out and come up toward the mtns, when U hit Spartanburg and see the mtns your mind will prolly be made up at that point. Good luck

RR

The worst of all fears is the fear of living.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Smart is when you believe only half of what you hear. Brilliant is when you know which half to believe.
Ridge-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
RocketMan OP
Out Rocketing

Oddometer: 643
Hey thanks folks,
yeah I know its HOT been looking over the temp data for the area. I figured if I did this it would be work in Columbia but live more toward Geenville, hell for me that commute would be a breeze after Washington DC! hell, I travel over an hour now, and have had jobs that meant most of it thru rush hour (though I try to avoid that situation!)
sit and wait, move 3 inches, wait an hour, move 2 inches, wait an hour, then find some asshat who can't be bothered to maintain his/her car, has broken down in the center lane in a no shoulders section of road!

I really liked the feel of Greenville when we visited.

We shall see....
Rocketman
"Live life to the fullest, cause buddy, once you're dead life ain't worth living" Nat King Cole
"Never trust a user with your television overnight,
Don't try to paint your masterpiece by artificial light." - The Pretenders
Always DSTDJR-----Don't Sweat The Details---Just Ride!!!
RocketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Greenville puts you VERY close to excellent twisties (276, 178, 28) and relatively close to the Dragon and other excellent roads in western NC.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMan
Hey thanks folks,
yeah I know its HOT been looking over the temp data for the area. I figured if I did this it would be work in Columbia but live more toward Geenville,
If you're willing to commute "down" I-26 to Cola. and are looking for a smaller town, there are some pretty neat ones along that Interstate corridor. But they are small towns.

Oh, yeah, Columbia is hot.

You could own the SC tag-o-rama game for the middle area of SC, BTW.

All the best,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,699
Check out Chapin and the lake Murray area.
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,571
Thumb

Lived in Columbia half my life and still have great friends and family down there. Motorcycle riding brings me to the area at least once a month. If you're a DS'r I guess that's okay, but if you woods ride or race, there are several MX practice tracks in the area and 3 or 4 off-road parks with in 45 mins of downtown Columbia. If you are enlightened and know and understand dirttrack racing, there are 2 (supposed to be 3) 1/4 mile flat tracks with in 30 mins to an hour of downtown Columbia. If you are comfortable in modest living accomodations and do some research you can get a lot for your money and possibly end up with a riding area in your backyard. Yeah it can get hot, and they got FIRE ANTS (And I ain't talking about football). Put your knees in the breeze and wheelie over the fire ant hills (or the USC defense if we were talking about football). If the job ain't bad you could have a pleasant experience. If you're gonna come down holler and we'll try and point you in a decent direction if possible.

"live old, ride old...know JESUS, or no PEACE"
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,487
Columbia is HOT.

Greenville is much nicer.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,571
Oh yeah, and if your are a sport bike guy, Carolina Motorsports Park is right up the road in Kershaw, I could get there from Columbia in less than 45 mins (pulling a racecar). Robeling Road near Savannah is only a couple of hours off and Road Atlanta is not a bad drive. You can stop in Greenville and tell all them cats how much fun you're having riding your motorcycle in the midlands area.
All joking aside, the Griffins up at Fountian Inn put on some great dirt track races, and the Greenville Enduro Riders crowd ain't no joke. Sumter offers some great hare/scramble opportunities and I,m not even going to mention North Georgia...
If you're about riding motorcycles wet, dry, hot, cold, woods, tracks, dirt or asphalt, come on down...there's plenty, man and I'm from SE North Carolina, check out the Raleigh/fayetteville thread. Bring your junk on down and let's ride. Be safe.

"ride old, live old...know JESUS, or no PEACE"
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
mhaas
intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer: 184
Monday night euro bike night

In the Vista at the Art Bar on monday nights they have a Euro bike night
http://www.artbarsc.com/
Good bunch to ride and hang with (8 years ago) I used to commute from Sum(p)ter to go hang out.
mhaas is offline   Reply With Quote