ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
Dirtysouth OP
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,905
Question Hwy 78

Is anyone familiar with HWY 78, running from GA. to SC., mainly how big of a road this is? Me and a couple of guys are planning to go to charleston the thanksgiving weekend and wanted to stay off major interstates. The reason being is I will be on a DRZ400S, one will be on the KLX400SR and the other one will be on the KLR650. If anyone has any suggestions on routes we could use the help. We will be coming from north ga if that matters.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:40 AM   #2
JoJo
Looking for dirt

Oddometer: 226
Hwy 78 is your typical US 2 lane hwy. I think it is four lane around Athens and Augusta. I don't have access to a map, but I would stick to the state roads, especially in SC. They will be less travelled, but they can take you in a roundabout direction, which could be fun.

"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God" - Bumper Sticker
JoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
cbob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I'd stay off US 78 - too many towns, leos and 35 mph speed limits.

Get a software map (MS Streets and Trips is pretty good) and build yourself a route using back roads. Print out the route in sections or strip chart format, highlight your route and put it on your tank bag. This is what adventure touring is all about. Don't have a window on your tank bag? Don't have a tank bag??? Use Zip Loc gallon bags and binder clips, duct tape, hot glue, whatever. Be sure to clip all four corners or it will flap in the wind (called a test run first).

A good route example is from Griffin GA area go South on US41 to US341 to GA128 to GA49 to GA195 to etc. You get a lot of miles without many towns and no one else on the road. Too bad you're not going South!

You can even get crazy and program a GPS for all the turns. I have a Magellan 315 gps I'll sell you cheap (but it has no road info and I'm keepin the data cable). You can pick up decent gps's on ebay. Garmin StreetPilots are popular, the latest Magellan ProTrac is good, too. The biggest problem is reception. Some units do better than others . . . . DeLorme's Earthmate uses a SiRF chipset in a remote cube and does real well but is only the reciever and has no display. I'm sure the Paris-Dakar types have an elegant solution . . . . for $1k bucks!

Have fun on your trip!

- c bob
cbob is offline   Reply With Quote