300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #1052
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Where to begin...

Some off-the-cuff observations:

This was the most technically and mentally challenging Mobius section to date. On the one hand, this being the third time we've done this sort of thing, we're getting better at it... on the other hand, the riding and the terrain difficulty scores went way up (-- more about that later)

I have not read a TAT RR which prepared us for what to expect crossing NV. (-- more about that later).

The Scala Q2's were awesome (when they worked -- more about that later).

The stats: 12 days of riding from Flagstaff, AZ to Reno, NV.

1871 miles... and LOTS of elevation changes:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #1053
offthetrail
Adventure Schemer

Oddometer: 97
I can't wait to hear about it! Sounds sweet.
offthetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #1054
dutch2004
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66
Ominous foreshadowing .... great!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #1055
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day -3: Friday, May 8, 2009

Flying from NYC to Phoenix after working all night,

meeting my dad & brother at the airport (they flew in from Chicago), renting a car, and driving up to Flagstaff.

The plan was to spend a little time with my family, hanging out at my other brother & sister-in-law's house, relaxing, visiting with the kids, and start the ride on monday.

I had a LONG list of little things that needed to be done for each of the bikes, so I'd be wrenching in between hanging out, eating, and drinking.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #1056
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The cast:

My dad, youngest bro John Paul, middle bro Peter:

Lisa, Lilliana, and Leo:

Like W.C. Fields, my dad claims not to like kids...

But he just has a way with them...

Flagstaff is a small town, so we even got to meet the kid's school teacher who was sitting at the next booth over:

Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #1057
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day -2: Saturday, May 9, 2009

We slept well. Today was the day we'd go and pick up the bikes out of storage and start the prep work.

But first, a round of the memory game with uncle david:

and coffee, cereal, etc.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #1058
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Finally, getting the bikes out of hibernation

LDF at the storage facility where our code now was working fine:

Drumroll, please...

Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #1059
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And there they were

snug as bugs, just as we had left them:

We wheeled them out into some shade,

and I set about replacing the carb jets, o-rings, and gaskets that I had bought, labled and set aside after the last trip.

the shade didn't last long, and before I knew it, the back of my neck and arms were starting to feel the sun.

My goal was just to get them running and ride them back to my bro's house and complete the work there.

New o-rings, gaskets, stock slide springs, and JD jet kits all around. Jetted for 5000ft. elevation as per Eddie Sisnero's recommendations.

Gas tanks on,

and they fired up (blueberry with some difficulty), and we headed back to the ranch.

So far, so good.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #1060
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back in the shade

I wasn't completely happy with the Blueberry's carburation. High idle, rough starting... but now I had an able assistant:

I checked to make sure the diaphragm wasn't folded...

and when the work gloves got too hot,

my assistant retreated into the music room to practice the drums.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #1061
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next job

wiring in a 12V socket onto Blueberry. This was because we'd be recharging the Cardo Scala Q2's each night, in addition to the iPods, as well as cell phones and camera batteries every few days.

Leo helped on this project:

it went well, and he was a big help.

Still on the to-do list:

Replace Honeybee's left heated grip, replace Blueberry's clutch plates, change the oil on both bikes, replace Blueberry's front tire, install fork bleeder valves on both bikes, then test, pack, and go... but first...

Belly dancing.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #1062
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yes, belly dancing

There was a pre-mother's day fair in the park across the street from where we were having dinner.

The kids enjoyed it,

Lisa, her friend Kirsten, and JP:

Me, I went down the block and bought me a real honest-to-goodness cowboy bandanna to tie around my now sun-burnt neck. I knew from riding the TNJT the week before that the Leatt brace and the Blais jacket left a gap behind my head and after working in the sun I was already sore.

Note my glasses... what happened to those cool unbreakable kryptonite flexible-framed ones???? why am I back to my back-up spare pair???

OK, I lost them on my way to work two days before leaving.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-26-2009 at 02:22 PM
Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #1063
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We had ourselves

another thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat...

My cousin Marianne drove up from Scottsdale...

It was a regular family reunion.

This yummy Pinot was from Colorado, IIRC.

What on earth was I thinking when I told these two I'd carry them back to the car??? I made it 20 feet.

So the day ended for everyone sitting around swapping stories, waxing nostalgic, and sipping digestivos and espresso... while I headed back out to the garage to continue working on the bikes.

But I eventually went to sleep with the impression that I had finally licked Blueberry's carb issues, only to awaken to my poor brother's garage floor supporting a large puddle of gasoline, and the whole house smelling like a super-fund site.

Bad Uncle.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #1064
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 550
Phenomenal report!!! I would love to do something like this with my wife, but she doesnt even ride. Got any pointers on getting that ball rolling? By the way I read all 71 pages today, whats work?!

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #1065
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
... LDF, I showed Mrs Taco a pic of you riding and told her what awesome wife you must be to have the same hobby as your husband. I'd like her to get onboard with motorcycling so we could ride together. Any suggestions? Also, Dr. Rock, did you ever consider any other DS bikes before choosing the DRZ? Have fun on the third leg of the trip!
My interest began as a means to commute to work here in nyc. I started off on a scooter. David insisted I get my motorcycle license even though I would be on a scooter originally. I enrolled in a MSF course and was immediately swooned by the motorbike they provided for the course. Things took off from there.

In short. I suggest any noobie begin by taking an MSF course. Secondly, for off road riding, start small. My first off road experience was on my GS 650. BIG bike to maneuver off road. Once we started our mobius trip on the 400cc suzukis all I wanted to do was ride dirt.

Secondly, make sure you start off with ALL the gear. I have taken a few spills and honestly believe if I didn't have great boots for ankle protection and gear in general, I would have been a lot more reluctant to get back in the saddle.

Finally, there is no greater experience then to share such a journey with the person you care most about and no better way to do it. Its a little intimadating at first but with experience the ride has just become more and more enjoyable.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote