tommo2
Michiganee

Oddometer: 219
tommo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #1067
Radu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Hi Glad to hear you guys made it back in one piece . Thats enough relaxing . Lets get this RR going. Looks like you got off to a good start but we need to know the rest. Pictures and words , you know what to do .
Radu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #1068
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,519
Wow! Back in spades. Not only does the ride prep get better with each trip the writing is getting better too. And now with LDF's $.02 we get to hear more of the story.

This is going to be a five popcorn report, I can feel it.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #1069
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
My interest began as a means to commute to work here in nyc. I started off on a scooter. David insisted I get my motorcycle license even though I would be on a scooter originally. I enrolled in a MSF course and was immediately swooned by the motorbike they provided for the course. Things took off from there.

In short. I suggest any noobie begin by taking an MSF course. Secondly, for off road riding, start small. My first off road experience was on my GS 650. BIG bike to maneuver off road. Once we started our mobius trip on the 400cc suzukis all I wanted to do was ride dirt.

Secondly, make sure you start off with ALL the gear. I have taken a few spills and honestly believe if I didn't have great boots for ankle protection and gear in general, I would have been a lot more reluctant to get back in the saddle.

Finally, there is no greater experience then to share such a journey with the person you care most about and no better way to do it. Its a little intimadating at first but with experience the ride has just become more and more enjoyable.
Thanks for the tips! We drove by a scooter "for sale" in town the other day and she said "That's what I need". I think I said something encouraging but don't remember now. We live 5-6 miles from town and the thought of her dodging the farmers trucks and dumb kids on a scooter unnerves me a bit. But she has to start somewhere. I agree with the "all the gear" thing completely! Thanks again for responding to my question. By the way, my wifes name is LaDonna! Now on with the RR for Mobious 3.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #1070
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,032
wooooooo hooooo! The RR has started. Ok, now where are my comfy slippers and that cigar.... ok. here there are. sweet.

ok, ready. keep it rolling.

'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #1071
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Day -1 Sunday May 10, 2009 -- Mother's day

I woke up early, went back down to the garage to keep working on the bikes -- needed to change out the clutch plates on Blueberry, change her front tire as well, put a rimlock on Honeybee's front, dynabead both fronts, and change the oil and filters (scott's SS reusable) for both bikes as well.

I'll let LDF describe the lovely Mother's day festivities upstairs, while I describe dealing with the horror of a gas puddle on the floor of the garage.

I ended up pulling Blueberry's carb completely off the bike (a knuckle-busting horror show), and discovered that the o-ring that seals the float valve seat was completely crusted and cracked, while the float valve iteself looked fine. I didn't have a spare, so I sent LDF on a mission to the nearest Auto-zone to find a suitable viton multi o-ring metric box set so I could replace it.

This was about the 10th time I had rotated the carb, and exposed the float bowl, and it was just starting to get a little old.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #1072
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sabotage

I had succeeded in fixing one problem, only to have created another. After replacing the o-ring that sealed off the float valve seat, I buttoned everything up, ready to do the touchdown end-zone dance, only to find that when I opened Blueberry's petcock, she was leaking gas out the carb bell vent tube even worse than before. I went back upstairs, and reviewed the carb schematics on my bro's computer that I had brought as a .pdf file on a usb drive.

I have no idea what was going on in there.

Back down in the driveway (I had to get the bike out of the garage since I was filling their world with toxic fumes), I pulled the carb again, , and checked the float height.

Horribly off! . A some point in all my carb ministrations, i had meat-hooked the floats, and mangled the height, so the float valve hadn't a snowball's chance of seealing on the seat. Easily fixed with a little thumb scootching and a metric ruler (13mm to spec, with the carb held upside down), and all was back in order.

A quick oil change (found that the o-ring behind the filter was missing from Blueberry -- another reason to always DIY routine maintenance), and while the oil was drained, a quick clutch plate change on Blueberry (epic thanks to Leo for helping me keep track of which were the long bolts and which were the short ones holding on the clutch cover,

and finally (finally ), we were ready to start packng.

Somewhere in there they dragged me away from the tools to share a Mother's day brunch. It was lovely.

When I was sure I had the bikes in order, I had time to sit down with my dad and review our route:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #1073
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ready to roll

We stayed up 'till past midnight getting our riding gear laid out, and the bikes packed,

and we eventually went to sleep, sound in the knowledge that the bikes and we were finally ready. At the time, I felt some regrets about spending so much time working on the bikes, even though technically I was still hanging out with the family -- they didn't have my full attention, but they knew we'd be prepping for our ride; and in retrospect, spending any less attention to the bikes could very well have jeopardized our trip, and possibly our safety.

I have a supportive and understanding family , and in the end, there was no drama, nor any hard feelings or guilty incriminations. And for that I am grateful.

Edit: I forgot to mention that we planted our first

sticker in a secret, undisclosed location somewhere here... we'll see if the kids can find it.

Kids love stickers.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 01:52 PM
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #1074
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Don't ya just LOVE carb problems! They're just as much fun as electrical except that they smell bad too.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #1075
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
of the TAT-east. I don't know if we took a wrong turn, or what, but there was a looping long way, and a short squiggly way, and the Devil Box sent us up the steep:

(Usual disclaimer re: not able to photograph the really hard parts 'cause I was too busy riding it, and the loose gravel was looser, the big rocks were bigger and the steep slope was steeper than it looks. So there )

LDF fired up the trench-digger, and spewed a rooster of rubble. Cleared the whole section cleanly, and at the top shrugged it off like no big deal. She rocks.

And yes, I'm trying to get out of the dog house.
I know this is an older part of the report, but I had to comment on this... I believe this is just past the huge bridge outage. You pass a house on the left and then make this climb and circle around to a road that bypasses that bridge.

We did that last year.

You ain't kidding. The top of that hill is way worn out from 4x4 spinning over the huge rocks that are burried in the hill.

It is a fast, quick obstacle to get past but it is intimidating all the same. Warloop is long and tough. This climb is short and quite technical. I was way up on the tank at the top and speed is your friend.

I am glad to see a picture of this b/c we got none.

At the top you can stop and take pics, but we just kept going.

The owner of the that house said no way we could make it up on motorcycles... and that is z-71 could barely make it up. It is totally doable on our DS bikes. Just tricky and you have to commit right past that curve.

VERY FUN.
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #1076
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
Quote:

A good tree for hangin' the bad guys:

Yep and it is still there as of a couple weeks ago. I gathered fire wood around there!

Notice the interested passers by.

That part of OK was stunning.
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #1077
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Glad to see you two made it home safe and sound! I can't wait for the rest of the report!!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #1078
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,109
Face it Dr. Rock, you would rather be working on the bikes with some Knob Creek than hanging out with the folks on Mother's Day.

Me too!

Great Report as usual.

We are T-minus one month and counting for the start of our TAT spectacular.
(It may not be real time televised due to time and budget constraints, but we will post progress reports...)
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #1079
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,467

Sorry, Dr....I'm avoiding work to read this, I think you should call in sick to write it!
malibu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #1080
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
I have no idea what was going on in there.
.... while David was wrenching the bikes the rest of the family was celebrating mother's day in honor of the only mother amongst us....our sister-in law-Lisa. The kids showered her with their homemade school gifts.

Our cousin, Marianne provided a little serenade on the mandolin

then we were off for a fabulous mother's day brunch, David joined us for this one, of course.

Back at the ranch, another fabulous family meal......

and evening barn fire....

Before we settled in for what would be (unknown to me) our last evening of "comfort sleeping" for a while.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote