Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
Korben OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Typically Reserved Englishman on Typically Reserved Tour

Well as you can probably tell from my post count I am still a relative newbie to this site (And biking), although I have lurked for a long long time.

As well as all the tips I have picked up from here, I have also read some amazing stories of tours people have done which has inspired me to take my first tentative steps into the world of bike touring. This won’t be the biggest, longest or most inspiring tour you have ever seen, but it will be one of the biggest things I have ever done on my own so I felt I should share it with some of the people that have inspired me to do this.

As the title suggests it’s a reserved and some what small tour (Dipping my toe in the water). I am off to Wales for a few days to enjoy the countryside, take in some of the views, get some fresh air and generally get away from life for a while.

Why such a small tour? Well firstly I am not a big traveler. At the age of 33 I have yet to step foot on a plane and the only time I have left the British mainland was twice as a child on trips to France with my parents. The last time I went on holiday was just over 4 years ago which was a trip to Cornwall in the south of England with my then girlfriend.

Secondly it’s a small tour due to the bike I am riding. A 600cc Honda Hornet.

Thirdly, although it’s possible to get hard luggage for the Hornet the exhausts position does not allow for soft luggage. Due to wanting to upgrade my bike probably as early as next March I don’t want to spend £500 on a hard luggage set I will probably only use once or twice.

A stunningly gorgeous bike (I may be slightly biased ), but in the world of touring not what would be considered the perfect tool for the job. No wind protection to speak off, and the engine is more focused on being nippy rather than cruising. This is my first bike so I didn’t want to over step myself with a larger engine bike immediately.

So here I am. Just a few days away from starting my first ever bike holiday / tour

I have everything I need (I think) and simply can’t wait. Hoping to do Scotland next year after that possibly Germany, Spain and France. My aim is to spend a year touring America eventually.

Lot’s of pictures and video’s to follow!!

Tour 1. Wales: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468598

Korben screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 09:50 AM
Korben is offline   Reply With Quote