User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #1081
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Day 1: Monday May 11, 2009

We woke up bright and early, got coffee, geared up, and waited for the rest of the clan to roll out of bed so we could say our goodbyes. The bikes and Mr. Happy Puppet were rarrrin' to go.

Finally, we dragged everyone out of bed, said our goodbyes and thank yous and see you soons and be safes and then took one fly-by up and down the block for the benefit of the kids, and we were off.

Our plan for the day was fairly long in miles, but with only about half of the 200 miles as dirt. The goal was to head east from Flagstaff, then north into Hopi & then Navaho land, ending up at Page to refuel and stock up on food, and then across the CO river to camp at Glen Canyon.

with these elevation changes:

Before we were at the end of the block LDF was saying to me through the Scala Q2: "I can barely hear you"... I pulled over, and reached to her helmet and showed her where the volume up button was, but it was all the way up.

I turned my unit off, then on again, and said something... "AAaak!!! stop YELLING!" I turned the volume down again. "It's all static-y," she said.

Hmmmm. Well, let's ride for awhile, and see what happens. We'll check in when we fill up with gas on the way out of town.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 01:33 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #1082
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Trouble

Right out of the blocks.

We paid our homage to Route 66 pavement,

But by the time we got gas, it was clear that Francine couldn't hear me at all. I could hear her fine. Grrr.

The devil box, auto-routing by shortest distance, put us on a nicely graded dirt road...

Hmmm, I though. I don't recall having routed us on dirt until we had gotten 50 or so miles out of Flagstaff. I had wanted a few easy miles of tarmac at first, just to shake out the cobwebs and get used to the feel of the DRZ's again. I zoom out and check the GPS, and it seems to be just a little short-cut which meets back up with pavement in a few miles. Not to bad, heck, let's go with it. Bad idea.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #1083
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,105
1. Talky no worky.
2. Bad GPS.
3. ???

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #1084
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

First biff

So we make a turn onto a smaller dirt road, which quickly narrows, and then enters a maze of what appears to be ATV trails following some power lines and maybe a pipeline. Would have been a fun way to finish the trip, but not to start it. Today wasn't supposed to be technical. It's getting hot. LDF balks at some of the climbs and descents. I take the lead so she can follow my line. Even though she can't hear me speak, I figure I'll hear her if she falls. I clear a steep rise, and lose signal with her intercom. I wait. I kill my engine. I listen. I don't hear anything. She was right behind me.

I hear some static, interspersed with some shouting in a pretty panicked tone: "AAAkkk, David... I can't hold it up.... I'm AAaaak!"

I drop my bike (I did this several times... it just takes too long to find a stable spot to place the kickstand), and ran back up the hill. We got her back upright, we took a little rest, and figured out how to get back to the pavement as quickly as possible. No damage, but it's already an hour & 15 minutes into the trip, and our intercoms aren't working, we've had one pretty hard crash, we're sweating our asses off, half our water is gone, and we're only about 10 miles from where we started.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #1085
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We get back to blacktop

And finally put the San Francisco peaks deep into our rear view mirrors:

The Scala set up has me thinking... we can both hear our music, I can hear her, she can't hear me... yet I can voice-activate the connection by shouting. Problem with my microphone? I start twisting it around as I'm riding, hoping to re-establish some loose connection. "Can you hear me now?" Silence.

The terrain meanwhile flattens out,

and we see what I consider to be the first step in the Grand Staircase.

Technically, I know that's not correct, but that's what I was thinking.

at least we were finally putting down some miles. It felt good.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #1086
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

My GPS dies

Screen just goes blank. Is this the dreaded v.3.90 bug stalking me?

I grab the lead, and pull us into a little country store at the crossroads that we just happen to be passing by. It's late morning. I shout to LDF, "Let's take a break... helmets off."

I'm a little frustrated. Technology is great when it works, but sucks when it doesn't, and sucks even worse when it sort-of works only intermittently.

Troubleshooting the GPS, I find that I've been running of the internal battery the whole time and the AA's are simply drained. I pull the bags off my bike, remove the seat bolts, pull the side panel, and sure enough, I hadn't reconnected the positive wire when I reinstalled the battery.

At least that was a simple fix. Since we're in a bit of shade, I decide to have a quick go at troubleshooting the Scalas. How about a factory reset, and then re-pair the units, and see if that helps. I have the .pdf of the manual stuffed into my Treo, but it's taking FOREVER to scroll around and find the appropriate section.

On a whim, I check to see if I have a signal. It'll be roaming charges, but I do. I dial Cardo. I quickly explain the problem, and the Tech rep talks me through the ritual of resetting and re-pairing the units. It takes a couple of tries... pressing and holding buttons, while holding the phone is a cross between thumb-wrestling and twister, but eventually I get it, LDF writes the steps down for future reference, she listens on her unit, and can hear me perfectly!

We hang up with Cardo Tech support, gear back up, and before we can even start the bikes, We realize she can't hear me again.

Which in itself is a bit of a comedy...

"can you hear me?"
"No."
"Well, how can you answer if you can't hear me?"
"I can hear you outside the earphones."
"OK, how about if I walk over here, and turn away from you, and speak even more quietly?"
"I can still hear you."
"Through the Scala?"
"NO!"
"how about now???"
"YES!"
"Through the headset, or around?"
"AROUND!!! YOU'RE SHOUTING!!!"
"AM NOT!"
"ARE TO!"
It isn't working. We ride on.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 01:44 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #1087
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The scenery is great

But my mind is still troubleshooting the intercom.

I'm mad it stopped working, and I'm even madder that so far, the trip has been about troubleshooting technology, and not about the ride.

As much as I want to be, I'm definitely NOT in the Mobius zone yet. A bit after noon, we pull off the pavement onto our first planned dirt section and take another snack / pee break.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-08-2009 at 04:30 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #1088
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More Scala troubleshooting

I switch the pods, and the problem remains, that is; I can hear LDF, but she can't hear me. Most women will figure, "that's perfect, what could be better??" But, ahem. Guys, you're with me on this... the intercom must be fixed, or destroyed!"

I mulled over the options. Page, AZ was our destination. I had a surprise for LDF up my sleeve if we had the time, we would stop and take a guided walking tour of Antelope Canyon, which was right on our route -- if we made good time, we could maybe just make the last tour of the day at 3:30.

Now I was faced with abandoning that plan, and instead pushing on to Page to try to see if any of the motorcycle shops there carried Scala's, and hope that they had the microphone part, which I knew could be purchased separately:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 01:45 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #1089
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On to Page, AZ

So we gear back up,

and start moving again, off into the desert... this time on dirt.

At least one of us had the good sense to stop and smell the flowers. And it wasn't me. I was still thinking about intercom electrons.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 01:46 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #1090
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I haven't had much luck

routing through Indian Reservation land. So I was extra-careful to scope things out on Google Earth prior to leaving. If I was going to make any error, it would be to route something I thought would be dirt, only to find that it was paved. Never again would I follow a BIA-placed line on the map unless I had a clear idea that it actually existed. So far, so good.

We started to descend into an area that on the maps, merely looked like a squiggly line instead of a straight one, but at ground level, it was clear we were entering a canyon system... cool.

On the maps this is labled as "Blue Canyon" through the "Moenkopi Wash" on either BIA route # 6240, or Indian Route 7, depending on the map.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #1091
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next few miles

things started to get really interesting:

We hadn't seen anyone on this road for the past hour, and it was like we had our own little canyon to explore.

It had old ruins,

hints of danger,

neat contrasting colors,

bizzare rock formations...

challenging riding terrain,

We were in awe. I could hear LDF saying "cool", "WOW", "look at that" over and over, and all I could do was give her a thumbs up, or other sign of agreement.... damn these Scala's.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #1092
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we climbed out

on the other side, I could feel myself slipping into the Mobius zone.

This was good stuff.

the weather wasn't too bad either.

Once we climbed all the way back onto the plateau,

We hit our first batch of deepish sand:

Something I knew LDF wasn't looking forward to, but she kept her speed up, weight back, and feet on the pegs. I wished I could have given her some coaching tips as we were riding, but, damn those Scala's

Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #1093
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We stopped

for a rest at another cross-roads grocery store / saloon / liquor store / sandwich shop for some cold drinks and snack restocking:

I thought about calling Cardo again, but had no cell signal.

We had a little more dirt (sand),

reminiscent of the dead guy episode, but this time with wild horses...

And then a quick paved section up to Page.

I thought about the hike into Antelope canyon we were missing as we passed by the tour departure site right at about 3:30,

but then decided just to grind out the remaining miles, enjoy the scenery,

and see if we could get to Page in time to check out if anyone had a replacement microphone unit.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 01:48 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #1094
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

No photos in Page...

no Scala dealer either. We stopped at a couple of moto-dealer shops. Chased down a couple of other possibilities from the GPS database which turned out to be closed establishments, and finally found a supermarket where LDF went in to buy dinner fixin's, while I stayed in the parking lot with the bikes and tried to get Cardo back on the horn.

Cardo had closed up shop for the night, so as I hung out waiting for LDF to return with the groceries, I thought about what to do about these Q2's. On the one hand, I was frustrated enough with them to simply ditch them in our bags, and just forget about them 'till next time. On the other, it was definitely nice to be able to hear LDF while riding technical sections and know that she was doing OK. Maybe we could alternate having the good microphone each day...

I hatched a plan to call Cardo, (even though I'd pile up some big roaming charges) 1st thing in the AM and request that they send a new microphone unit ahead to Nelson's Racing in Battle Mountain where we were scheduled to have our rear tires changed friday night or saturday. Yes, I would be listening to Radio-free Francine for the next 5 days, but that would be better than nothing. I hoped.

Off to cross the Colorado river, and make camp at Glen Canyon

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 12:11 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #1095
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dam (scala's)

The approach to the bridge which is kind of narrow,

2 seconds later: They don't know what they're missing.

and on to Lake Powell