Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #1096
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Backside

view of the dam (scala's)

and a closer look at the lake:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #1097
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We found our campsite

unpacked, and got out of our boots.

We had an "OK" view of the water, but a really great view of the women's bathroom (into which a snake crawled in the middle of the night, scaring some woman who then left the door open which allowed the lovely fluorescent light to shine into our tent...

It felt good to be off the bikes,

We made a camp-fire, and cooked us up some dinner

of baked potatoes, filet mingon, and salad. Red wine, of course.

and slept well , with bellies full.

The day's stats:

A word on gas for this section: I wasn't sure if there would be any gas available in the 200 miles between Flagstaff, and Page AZ, so we carried 2L each extra in sweetcheeks soda bottles, and poured it into the tanks when we got onto the first (planned) dirt road. We ditched those empty bottles in Page, and replaced them with two full seltzer bottles. In fact, there were a couple of gas stations along our route, that aren't in the Garmin POI database, nor on GoogleMaps. But better safe than sorry.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #1098
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 2: Tuesday, May 12 2009

The day began well enough, but quickly deteriorated into more frustrations. First, the Coleman Exponent multi-fuel stove, that reliable stalwart design that had served me well, in one form or another for 30 years seemed to be crapping out. The flame was dying, and would barely warm the water for coffee. Yeah, we do just fine without coffee.

Next, I spent a good 40 minutes on the phone with Cardo's customer service trying to arrange a new microphone unit to be sent ahead to Battle Mountain. They did a good job, and in general I don't stress if a customer service call takes 40 minutes as long as the issue gets resolved, but I kept being put on hold since I was trying to pay for expedited shipping and double confirming addresses etc., and I knew I'd be paying through the nose for the call since I was roaming. It was pissing me off to pay more for the call than for the replacement + shipping. Plus, we were getting a late start for what had the potential to be a long day riding.

Finally, it was pissing me off that all this stuff was pissing me off.

If that makes any sense at all... let me rephrase: What I wanted was for stuff to work the way it was supposed to. Barring that, I want to be able to fix it in the field. Barring that, I want to be able to live without the thing, and not worry about it. None of that was happening.

Regardless, with arrangements made, we had wheels rolling by 8:30, and got a nice look at the dam (scala's) on the way back out of the park.

This is what we would be taking on for today:

Up to the town of Big Water, UT, where we would pick up Smokey Mountain Road. A little diversion out and back down Crosby Canyon to see if we could ride all the way to the shore of Lake Powell, then up Kelly Grade and past Smokey Mountain, and on to Escalante, into the Dixie N.F. where we would see how high we we could get before running into snow, which would determine our subsequent route choices and endpoint for the day.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 01:32 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #1099
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,447
Looking great so far!

Sweetcheeks soda bottle???
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #1100
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20pumper
Looking great so far!

Sweetcheeks soda bottle???

See posts #13, and #970-971...
Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #1101
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,447
Sorry for the interruption.

Search only yielded seat pad and lots of Jo Momma articles!

I remember seeing it but couldn't remember where!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #1102
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
I have no idea what was going on in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
.... while David was wrenching the bikes the rest of the family was celebrating mother's day in honor of the only mother amongst us....our sister-in law-Lisa.

This is an excellent and welcome addition to one of the best ride reports out there, 2 points of view.

Glen Canyon was my favorite part of my trip out west last summer with Cyberdos. It could have only been made better by exploring off-road like you guys did. These pictures are bringing me right back there, thanks.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #1103
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,181
Hi!

Thanks for you effort!

This seems to be a habit, I am again reading your Trip Report while I should be working on mine. NV is tough! I liked it, but my partner bailed out before finishing the state and he is a life long motocross rider.

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #1104
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

I thought about the hike into Antelope canyon we were missing as we passed by the tour departure site right at about 3:30,

but then decided just to grind out the remaining miles, enjoy the scenery,
I was there this past weekend.

"The crack" is an amazing place.

Now, you'll just have to come back and see it wont you?

Keep it coming doc.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:54 AM   #1105
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,044
Escalante and the "Devils Backbone" are very cool.
Capitol Reef is even better.

Waiting to see how this goes...
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:13 AM   #1106
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we rode north

on 89, we got a glimpse of where we were headed:

It looked good. I had no idea how good.

In retrospect, the next section was one of the highlights of the trip. Smokey Mountain Road deserves to be in the pantheon of epic rides. Do-able in a day, it's challenging, but manageable, I'd guess, on a big bike with appropriate tires and a good rider, remote as all get-out, and the scenery ranges from lunar to ethereal to sublime. The dirt begins straight out of Big Water.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:25 AM   #1107
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The run from

Big Water to Escalante traverses an area of Southern Utah that has been featured recently in both the NYTimes travel section, and National Geographic Adventure magazine.

The first section crosses north of Lake Powell through volcanic rock that is as devoid of vegetation as any piece of earth I've ever seen.

The view off to the right (south) looked out over Glen Canyon, and back towards AZ,

To the left (north), was another step in the Grand Staircase,

And straight ahead was the moon. Just to be clear, the next photo is NOT in black & white.

LDF is that little speck on the horizon. Just to give you a little perspective.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:55 AM   #1108
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,044
Songs in my head

Singing... To the Police's "Walking on the moon."

"Giant rides are what you take
Riding on the moon
I hope my bike dont break
Riding on the moon
We could ride for ever
Riding on the moon
We could live together
Riding on, riding on the moon...

Some may say
I'm wishing my days away, no way
And if its the price I pay, some say
Tomorrows another day, you'll stay
I may as well play

Riding in the moon...

(Please continue)
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #1109
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks

for the great contributions from the peanut gallery. It's why I like posting the RR into a participatory public forum rather than a simple diary / blog.

Morning rounds are over, so onward and upward...

Tough to get the perspective on the shot below. The balancing boulder on the lower right hand side was the size of a typical suburban McMansion.

Back into the next section of purely lunar volcanic terrain, I look up ahead and think... "is that Francine? why no dust? did she stop? is she OK?" I voice activate the intercom, but only hear silence. Uh oh.

A little closer, and I realize it's DEFINITELY not LDF.

The poor thing was literally miles from water, shade, or vegetation.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #1110
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A little further

and we emerged from the volcanic-influenced terrain,

I caught up to LDF and she took this photo of me which really captures the vibe.

It was only 9:15am, but it was already getting mighty hot in the sun.

We found the turn-off into Crosby Canyon and headed down towards Lake Powell