User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #1126
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,944
Wow!

I gonna need to check out the Kelly Grade myself soon!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #1127
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthetrail
That looks like serious fun!
BTW what kind of goggles are those? I like how snug they fit inside the helmet.
Nothing special...

Mine: Smith Option OTG's ~$40
Francine's: Zeal Optics Detonator MX (also OTG) ~$50.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #1128
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The rest of Smokey Mountain road

was no picnic...

Rugged,

remote,

with plenty of elevation changes,

(salt-filled arroyo above), bizarre rock formations,

grand views, and great riding.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #1129
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Biff #2 (or 3 -- can't recall)

One of the hazards of going first, is that you come upon the hazards first.

I have no doubt I would have boxed big-time if I had been in the lead here. The two markers and the branch are just around a tight downhill bend which gets even tighter and steeper to the right on it's way to the water crossing. Your initial instinct is to go straight at the cones, until you're right up on them and realize there's a 6' drop off down to the dry stream bed.

It wouldn't take much to carry a little too much momentum and not be able to stop in time. Ugly. Sometimes, however, you need more friction than mere brake pads can supply, and that's when it's time to put into play every square inch of surface area that a fully loaded Drz on it's side can provide.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #1130
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The first of many water crossings

A look over the drop-off... even here, it's hard to tell.

The unhappy camper:

swings her leg back over the horse that threw her off... and cleans the water crossing...

Those of you who have been following along from the beginning, have seen how LDF's riding skills have evolved. You've read my comments and encouragements. Well, on this trip, you won't. She's graduated from novice to intermediate to experienced.

Her attitude was much more aggressive, her line selection was spot on, her skills and stamina such that I was riding at an enjoyable pace and at no time felt that she was slowing our progress down.

In short, from a purely riding perspective, she had become someone I'd ride with anywhere, anytime. Which isn't to say that everything was perfect.

Her confidence was boosted every time she cleared an obstacle cleanly and she started thinking a little like a 16y/o boy who has been driving a car for 6 months without a close call. I don't think she realized this, not ever having been a 16y/o boy. But I was, and I did recognize it.

Two biffs in as many days. Out here. Hmmm. Then again, she wasn't paddle-footing through the deep sand either. Previously, her riding was hampered by being too timid... now, I hoped she wasn't being too brash.

Listening to her on the intercom, I often heard her gasp, or swear, or otherwise articulate fear or surprise... I wished I could talk with her while she was riding... There were innumerable times I'd have liked to give her a head's up, or a word of encouragement or congratulations, or a pointer.

Damn Scala's.

Off she speeds again.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #1131
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I realize

I'm probably not going to be taking as many photos of her riding this trip,

'cause I can't shoot one-handed at the speeds we're riding on this terrain,

and when I stop, she gets too far in front of me. The only time I can easily catch her is when she has a rock in her boot.

So at every opportunity, when she isn't looking, I slip a pebble or stone into one of her boots. That way I'm guaranteed a short unscheduled rest-stop at least once per day.

She takes off again on a tear:

And I try to chase her down.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #1132
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

Her attitude was much more aggressive, her line selection was spot on, her skills and stamina such that I was riding at an enjoyable pace and at no time felt that she was slowing our progress down.
Thanks babe. I had decided before this trip, that if we were going to make our way to Reno in a timely fashion, that I had to have a new attitude towards sand. This certainly did seem to be working with the few exceptions when I took a few hard biffs. Pause for a little set back. Thank goodness for all the gear all the time. I proved to myself this go around that a big part of taking on this terrain is having the right mind set. The few biffs that I took provided me the balance of making it through safely.

La Donna Fugata screwed with this post 05-29-2009 at 01:26 PM
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #1133
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Now you see her,

now you don't

Maybe I'm just rusty at riding and shooting.

Got her. Wheelie?

She's keeping her speed up in deep sand,

gravel...

climbs, curves, descents...

and before we know it, Escalante comes into view, and the mountains beyond.

We cross one last gorgeous canyon floor, filled with spring greenery...

And as we climb out,

we spot the only other people we've seen all day, this couple...

and a road crew...,

We must be getting close to civilization.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #1134
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Down into Escalante

First, some more edumacation:

We stopped at a gas station / Subway / snack stop. We gassed and ate and drank, and filled our water containers, and also did something new for this trip: We washed up.

We knew that we'd be camping frequently, and not necessarily bathing, so we decided to take every opportunity to do a quick face / arms / pits / hands wash-up, whenever we stopped where there was an acceptable bathroom. LDF was interrupted by a busload of Korean tourists...

We were approached by the artist and mechanic, the Desert Doctor. Spent some time chatting. (he didn't have any Scala Q2 microphone parts)

From an art-show bio I pulled from the web:

Desert Doctor of M. C.
(435) 826-4951, 120 South Center. Escalante, UT
Came from Chicago and fell in love with the area.
Specialize in artistic welding and craftwork, artifacts,
prototype work, special and unusual tools. Artistry in
Iron awards 2000-2002 (custom metal fabrication/bike
shows). Only custom and stock motorcycle machine
shop on Highway 12. If I can’t fix it, it can’t be fixed.

Probably a good guy to keep in your Rolodex if you're passing through the area. I still have his card. Francine swears we met him on Mobius II either in Antimony, UT when we stopped for lunch, or when we stopped in Fredonia, AZ and bought tamales before heading out to the north rim. I'm not so sure.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #1135
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Into the hills

A short paved stretch,

was enticing since we could see the mountains into which we were headed. I had spec'ed out three different routes through the area, a high elevation, a low elevation, and a paved version, just in case we ran into bad weather, or mechanical issues. We would be starting on the high, and rerouting to the low if we ran into snow. Didn't look too bad up there.

We started to climb... it was great to see trees again.

We entered the Dixie N.F. which meant that we had basically made our mileage for the day... we'd get as far as we could, and it was still early, but I had anticipated that we'd be camping somewhere in or near this N.F.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #1136
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Nice, wide graded gravel

roads. We passed through a burned out section. Stark.

Some old log cabin.

8384 ft. elevation... 118mi. so far on the day, and it's 3:30pm. Not bad.

Pine trees, dust, and views... how different from the morning's landscape.

well, the dust is about the same.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #1137
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Uh oh.

That looks like snow up there... and that's where we're headed. I wonder if we'll make it up and over?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #1138
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A couple of views

back from where we've come, before we crest this rise, and it's all just Mobius history, fading in the rear view mirror.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #1139
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We start to follow the ridge

and the road gets narrow, and steep.

Snow starts to appear,

which has been melting, causing washed-out sections,

and loose gravel. The air is getting thin, the bikes are starting to sputter a little, but the views are grand.

We're almost to the top... I think we'll make it.

(in retrospect... probably not a good sign when the tracks from the previous vehicle is a snow cat.)
Old 05-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #1140
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Get my drift?

Go baby... it's just ahead!

"I'm stuck"... comes over the squack-box. "I'll be right there, I say to no one in particular.

Honeybee patiently awaiting my return.

and then... at 10,218 ft:

we still had 400+ feet in elevation to go to clear the pass. I hiked up ahead. It was technically possible to walk the bikes along the melted edge... but one slip, and we'd be spending the night right there.

it's turn-around time.

Oh well, we had fun trying. Let's figure out our go-around, and get down lower and find some camping... it's getting chilly up here.