User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #1141
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
God, I hate back-tracking

But this one wasn't too bad. We'd had about enough technical riding for the day... it was time to cash in our chips and hit the hay. (that's cowboy talk) I was getting in the western mood.

We dropped down into Widtsoe, and headed up John's Valley road in the opposite direction from when we passed the best looking cow-girl (& boys) ever on Mobius II.

Not only do I not like back-tracking, but I also don't like retracing routes. This was necessary, though.

We passed back up along the Sevier river, through Antimony,

and threw the anchors down at the Otter Creek Dam (scalas) Reservoir & State Park.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-29-2009 at 06:04 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #1142
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,979
Two things:

First, it's kinda cool to know you are "early" in the riding season, and there is still snow. Too bad about the turn-around.

Second, you said that everything behind you is Mobius history. That's kinda sad.

Thanks for the Ride Report.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #1143
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Otter Creek

Was OK. A few RV's, fishermen. I picked up some cold beers and firewood at the bait-shop, marina across the way. A guy working there drove the firewood over, and we chatted dirtbikes for awhile, and we laid a NYFD karma pin on him which he seemed to appreciate. Good folk.

Our camp chores hadn't yet become routine, so I got the chairs put together, LDF worked on the tent, and I set about trying to troubleshoot and fix our damn stove so we could have some dinner.

Should'a taken my boots off first and had a beer... what was I thinking?

Turns out the generator tubing was crustified, probably from using unleaded instead of white gas, and after disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly, it still crapped out before we could make hot cocoa. . Damn Coleman.

This gear has to be either ultra-reliable, (like a hatchet), or field-servicable (like a CV carburetor), or have replacement parts available practically everywhere, (like a the DRz's brake-light).

Like the Scala Q2's (and the Garmin v.3.90 update), now the Coleman stove was proving to be none of the above.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #1144
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As the sun set,

the temperature dropped, and the wind really started to pick up.

We had listened to the NOAA broadcast which had described a dry cold front coming across the area bringing wind and lower temps. Boy, they weren't kidding.

This was our day's stats:

We had a nice campfire and bourbon, and I fell asleep mumbling curses to all things technological, mechanical, or electrical that didn't work the way they were supposed to.

Damn stove.

Francine, there'll be NO coffee in the morning!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #1145
dirty joe

Oddometer: 154
dirty joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #1146
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Great report keep it coming.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #1147
Timpechoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Welcome to Utah if you don't like the weather just stick around a minute ital change.

I cant wait for the rest of the story
Timpechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #1148
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpechoes
Welcome to Utah if you don't like the weather just stick around a minute ital change.

I cant wait for the rest of the story
+1

Same goes for the weather in Central OR, just in case you ever ride here.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #1149
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,979
No Coffee!?
Oh sh*t....

By the way, I recommend the MSR Whisperlite International stove.
With it's shaker jet and large diameter tubing it's been reliable for over 10 years running on all kinds of crappy fuel.
Just my $0.02

Standing by for more...
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #1150
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
...By the way, I recommend the MSR Whisperlite International stove....
Q~
Unfortunately, that wasn't one of the available choices at Otter Creek. Or Joseph. Or Elsinore, Richfield, Kanosh, Eureka, Battle Mountain, McDermitt, Denio Junction, Fort Bidwell, Cedarville, Susanville, or Reno.

But we did come up with something.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-30-2009 at 07:48 AM
Old 05-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #1151
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 521
yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Unfortunately, that wasn't one of the available choices at Otter Creek. Or Joseph. Or Richmond, Kanosh, Eureka, Battle Mountain, McDermitt, Denio Junction, Fort Bidwell, Cedarville, Susanville, or Reno.

But we did come up with something.
Hey doc!
hope all that shopping didn't kill the buzz - I hate searching for a critical piece of gear in the middle of a ride.
fastredbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #1152
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 3: Wednesday May 13, 2009

Today was the day we would make our way back to where we left the TAT back in Sept. '08. We wisely abandoned the high elevation (10,000 ft +) route. The lower elevation version proved to be plenty challenging, plenty high, and would put us within striking distance of Joseph, Elsinore, and Richfield, UT, towns where I hoped we'd be able to find a generator for our stove (ha!), or a replacement stove.

and the mile-by-mile elevations:

as you can see, we cleared some major elevation changes... all on dirt. The relatively flat part in the middle was on pavement, chasing down a new stove.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #1153
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We got off to an early start.

Even though it was mighty chilly, we took hot showers. It still didn't make up for missing out on a hot cuppa joe and bowl of oatmeal.

Multiple layers, and heated grips were the ticket while we skirted around the reservoir on a quick bit of pavement.

In short order we were making good use of our knobs.

We'd be spending the morning winding our way North up through Fishlake N.F. on their extensive ATV trail system.

The trails are labled with degree of difficulty, and for the most part we were on the easy ones.... except when we weren't.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #1154
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a beautiful,

crisp morning, and it was a relief to be out of the unrelenting wind we had suffered with all night exposed on the shore of O.C. reservoir.

The cliffs were made up of some kind of rock that actually looked like concrete with smaller rocks embedded in it. The next two photos I took back to back, and they've turned out to be among my favorites. Every time I scroll through the photos, my eye pauses on these two.

I'm sure it's one of those "you had to be there" things, but looking at them brings back that morning like it was yesterday, the coolness of the air, the solitude, the smells...
Old 05-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #1155
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Doc I am loving the RR. Thanks for sharing the adventure with us. I have to get Jen to read this I think she would be inspired, It would be great to do it with friends it's the ultimate to do it with the wife.

Regards, JD

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote