Old 05-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #1156
offthetrail
Adventure Schemer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Nothing special...

Mine: Smith Option OTG's ~$40
Francine's: Zeal Optics Detonator MX (also OTG) ~$50.

Thanks!
One more question if you will: How are you tieing down your sweet cheeks? I just gots some after you spoke so highly of them and they seem great but I can't seem to find a clean looking way to secure them to the bike?
offthetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #1157
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthetrail
Thanks!
One more question if you will: How are you tieing down your sweet cheeks? I just gots some after you spoke so highly of them and they seem great but I can't seem to find a clean looking way to secure them to the bike?
Well, you have to be a little creative. I'm not sure I have a good photo. You could use some parachute cord, or, what we did is measure the distance to the tie-off points on the four corners, and then I cut and sewed about 2" of velcro onto the ends of some 1/2" webbing to make loops. Easy on-off.

OK, I found a few photos:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #1158
offthetrail
Adventure Schemer

Oddometer: 97
Thanks for the prompt reply! Pictures too!
And now that I got those distraction out of the way, on to the report...
offthetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #1159
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,216
Great stuff Doc, took a few looks at the Spot while you were out there.
BRILLIANT !!
Thanks for such a great write up. Your pictures leave nothing to the imagination.
However I wonder how you make any time at all with all the pictures? Does LDF have to wait a lot? Do you stop for them, or are they while your moving?

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #1160
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
Great stuff Doc, took a few looks at the Spot while you were out there.
BRILLIANT !!
Thanks for such a great write up. Your pictures leave nothing to the imagination.
However I wonder how you make any time at all with all the pictures? Does LDF have to wait a lot? Do you stop for them, or are they while your moving?
Thanks,... pics from the trail are mostly while moving, which means that they're mostly taken during the least technical riding -- I average 3-4 throwaways for every decent photo.

If there's a shot of a steep climb, or descent or loose tricky stuff, or water crossing (with one notable exception -- stay tuned), it probably means that LDF has stopped to size up the obstacle or hazard and to discuss attack strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthetrail
Thanks for the prompt reply! Pictures too!
And now that I got those distraction out of the way, on to the report...
You got it. I'm stuck in the hospital for the next 24 hours, and if it's not busy, this RR is what I'll be doing.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #1161
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we're picking our way

up and across the Wasatch range in Fishlake N.F. Our route overlapped a stretch we had done on Mobius II for a few miles.

Looking at the next set of peaks on the other side of the Sevier River valley, it became clear that we were making the right choice in routing at the lower elevations.

Those babies are up around 11-12k ft. I'd have loved to ridden across that area on Big John Flat, Beaver Creek, and Kimberley roads. I worked hard routing through there, but, alas... something to come back to.

For now, we'll have to be content with what I've come up with on this side of the valley.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #1162
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We'd mostly

be on well-marked roads,

but there was one section which was the "up and over" bit that I wasn't so sure about. It was one of those squiggly, dotted lines, but it was crucial to this route, as the go-around meant dropping back down onto pavement, and skipping the majority of the dirt section I'd plotted up to Joseph/Elsinore/Richfield.

It teased us with a few rutted, muddy sections, then eased up again,

Then things started to get really ugly.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #1163
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Not quite

Satan's Colon ugly... but remember, we're carrying all our camping gear, and we don't have a truck and trailer waiting for us at the end of the trail.

In the above photo, I can tell you now, that the signs of trouble brewing are already detectable. The old LDF would have stopped at the top of this descent (usual disclaimers -- was actually steeper than it looks in the photo, etc.) and we'd exchange a few words
"want me to ride you through?"
"Nah, just you go first and show me the line and tell me if it's better or worse than it looks"
"OK, here goes... " ".... it wasn't so bad, but stay to the right, there's a rut on the left that gets deep and loose"
And then we'd carry on.

You can see she's already cleaned the section, and is down around the curve, standing on the pegs, gunning for more.

Now it's getting really nasty, and while she lets me go first, she's still not giving up... she's determined to ride everything through herself. Hmmm.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #1164
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I'll let the pictures alone

describe the action over the next 40 minutes, and LDF can add color commentary as she sees fit.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #1165
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Lava-ice rock

That's the stuff that did her in. That really porous lava rock, loose and lightweight. Crossing over it is like being on ice. Any steering, braking, or throttle input results in a sideways bike. Problem is when you're on a steep downhill, you accumulate momentum mighty quickly.

That was a veritable "Most Difficult" ATV trail, and probably some of the most technical riding we'd done on any Mobius trip. It was worse than Warloop rd, worse than anything on the White Rim Trail, and worse than anything going over the Rockies in CO. (Note: we skipped Hancock/Tomichi passes, but I'd bet it was comparable).

The section was NOT, however, the worst we'd see on this trip. Maybe not even the worst for the day. Looks like we'd be kicking things up a notch... better get acclimated.

As for the biff, it was pretty hard. Her fourth crash in as many days. We debriefed, and I tried to give some gentle pointers, but it was clear that there was a war going on in her head... riding skills have plateaued .... I'm holding myself back by having a timid attitude ... MUST BE FEARLESS ... crashing hurts ... breaking the bike, or body will end the trip and we're not even back on the TAT... I can do it... I am a truck...

For the time being, though, we were down in the valley, and back on graded roads.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #1166
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I've got to hand it to LDF

For all the times she hit the ground; yeah, she got frustrated, yeah, it hurt, yeah, she was discouraged, but EVERY single time, she'd pick herself up, dust herself off, help pick up the bike, climb back on, straighten the mirror, grit her teeth, hit the starter button, and motor on. No drama, no melt-downs. Just a fair assessment: am I hurt? is the bike broken? am I dehydrated? exhausted? NO? OK. You ready? Let's go.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #1167
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
For all the times she hit the ground; yeah, she got frustrated, yeah, it hurt, yeah, she was discouraged, but EVERY single time, she'd pick herself up, dust herself off, help pick up the bike, climb back on, straighten the mirror, grit her teeth, hit the starter button, and motor on. No drama, no melt-downs. Just a fair assessment: am I hurt? is the bike broken? am I dehydrated? exhausted? NO? OK. You ready? Let's go.

just remind her that when NFL players go down 3 trainers rush out and gently help them limp off the field so she's way tougher than those bums.

right on LDF
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #1168
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
Thanks babe. I had decided before this trip, that if we were going to make our way to Reno in a timely fashion, that I had to have a new attitude towards sand.
the heck with that if it was me :ymca the new attitude would be in a jeep.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #1169
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next 2 1/2 hours

were spent in the heat of the Sevier valley. First at Joseph for gas and snacks (same place we'd stopped at on Mobius II right before heading up to Mystic Hot Springs). Then on to

to look for a new stove, and finally all the way up to Richfield where there was a Wal-mart, Ace Hardware, and an ATV shop that may or might not also sell camping gear.

Well, there was a bit of running around, but no one seemed to have anything that was an unleaded-burning capable upgrade to the Coleman 443 Exponent multi-fuel stove, and that one just wasn't cutting it. Of course, no one had the part so we could just fix the one we had, ($12 @ Amazon).

and then limp through this trip the stove we were carrying, and then do proper research to make sure we had a stove where this wouldn't happen again. I contemplated just getting one of the Brunton propane/butane cannister stoves. They were ~$30 + the cannisters, but I was concerned about finding cannisters out where we were going in NV. I really wanted something that would burn unleaded.

I settled on another Coleman for ~$48. The 533.

I stripped off all the packaging, and threw it in the side bag. It's a little bigger and heavier, but uses the same generator technology as the 445 Exponent which had failed, as well as the Feather 442 which I had back in NYC. I'd lost faith in these stoves to cut it in the outback when using unleaded, and was NOT happy to buy another Coleman, but that's all they had that fit the bill.

In retrospect, there are enough reports of these stoves gumming up the generator tube when using unleaded, that I should have been packing the maintenance kit. I'm not losing sleep. In Reno, we found a great deal on a way better replacement, and all things Coleman (at least stove-wise) are now out of our lives.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #1170
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
...I had decided before this trip, that if we were going to make our way to Reno in a timely fashion, that I had to have a new attitude...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
the heck with that if it was me :ymca the new attitude would be in a jeep.
hey Scott

The irony being that picking up the pieces after a hard fall takes time, slows down forward progress (especially if you have to fix something), and more significantly, saps energy, meaning you're tired earlier, and don't get as far each day.

On a two-week trip like this, on loaded bikes, the priority has to be to do whatever it takes to ride as fast as you want, but without falling. There's little to be gained, and much to be lost by pushing hard, and breaking bike or body. The goal is to safely get both of us and our bikes through whatever the route throws at us.

It still took a couple more good whacks on the head before we eventually sorted all this out but I don't want to get ahead of the story, though, so I'll just leave it at that.

PS: a jeep would not go all of where we went. No way, no how.