User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #1171
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Another aside

I had failed to connect the positive lead to my GPS hardwire and on day 1 had the internal batteries die. An easy fix, and actually not the dreaded v.3.90 recalculation-freeze bug as I feared.

Well, at some point (I can't exactly remember when), LDF's 76Cx in fact, did develop the dreaded v.3.90 freeze. I recognized the symptoms from this thread, and anticipating the possibility, had already prepared back-up micro SD cards with the same maps and taped them to the inside of the battery cover of both units.

It was really a quick fix, and gratifying to pop the battery cover, swap the cards, and have the unit work perfectly the remainder of the trip.

Our experiences this trip with the stove, the GPS, my cell-phone/PDA USB charging cable (frayed & stopped charging), my eyeglasses (coming up), and the Scala's has led me to really re-think what we carry on these trips. When you're depending on something working, it's probably a good idea to consider it's vulnerabilities, and imagine every concievable way that thing can fail, and how it might be fixed / replaced.

If it takes a part, then carry a spare. If it's something that might not be fixable (a camera, for instance), bring a back-up one. If you're not gonna carry a spare, but plan on buying a part or replacement, know what towns are big enough to be able to find what you need. Otherwise, resign yourself to travelling without that thing for what might be a good long while.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 AM   #1172
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back to the TAT

We headed back into the Fishlake N.F. now west of the Sevier valley,

to meet back up with the TAT where we had left it. Sept '08:

About 1/4 mile before we got back to this point, we passed a road grader headed in this direction. We quickly set up the photo, and could hear the grader getting closer and closer...

May '09:

Hurry... shit. Here it comes..

the guy's like, "wha?? the heck are they doing??"

We're cracking up... "let's get out of here"

and off we go:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #1173
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
PS: a jeep would not go all of where we went.
neither would I.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #1174
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next few miles

are back on some "more difficult" and / or "most difficult" ATV trails.

Some patches of snow, but always passable. I think Sam has done a great job of routing through this area with good riding at elevations which maximize the riding season.

If we hadn't suffered the technical sections in the morning, and had just come down from Salina via the TAT, I think this part of the trail would have been an eye-opener.

Yes, I rode both bikes up this section... it was mega-steep. That's LDF hiking up past my bike about half-way up the hill.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #1175
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We passed a field

of pretty yellow flowers, so we stopped for a photo-op of all things yellow:

Even the Blueberry got a yellow flower for the bud vase that all DRz's come with:

Just like VW bugs.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #1176
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The trail

remained challenging

and between the morning's "special" and running around finding a new stove, it was getting late, and we were getting tired.

This was 2nd - 3rd gear stuff, max.

of course, my photos reflect the easier sections that I can ride with one hand only on the bars.

Eventually, the trail drops into Cottonwood creek canyon, then Corn Creek canyon, and eventually Kanosh Canyon, and the trail turns to road.

I had hoped to get further for the day, but when we passed this campsite, we decided to check it out.

I knew Kanosh was just up ahead, and also knew we'd be coming out of the N.F. following that and wasn't sure what our camping opportunities would be. It looked like the weather was going to be nice, so we preferred to camp rather than stay in a motel in Kanosh. There was fresh water, but no shower here, and only just past 4pm, so
Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #1177
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The campground

was deserted. And lovely. The verdict was unanimous: we would stay.

There was a creek running just on the other side, and ample firewood, and pretty blue flowers,

it looked like the place was landscaped or something. (it wasn't)

We had a quick snack, and decided to ditch some gear, and ride 5 miles into Kanosh for provisions.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #1178
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rear brakes

When we got back, I took the opportunity of daylight to break out the tools. My rear brake pedal was much lower than I liked it... I figured I'd raise it a cm or so.

That was easy enough. Following behind LDF, I had noticed that she seemed to be riding her brakes. She swore that her hand wasn't even on the front lever, or foot on the pedal unless she was actively braking, so I figured I'd have to adjust the switch on her rear pedal.

What I found instead was this:

When I went to take a closer look with my glasses on, this is what I found:

And these WERE my back-up pair. I had lost my new flexi-frame pair riding my bicycle to work the week before we left.

Anyway, back to the brake: removing the clutch cover to change the plates requires removal of the brake pedal and the moron who did that job forgot to re-attach the return spring.

While I was working on that, LDF walked around the campground, collected firewood, and took some nice photos.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #1179
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We discussed

what to do with the gummed-up stove. I wanted to toss it in the trash, I was so disgusted with Coleman. It's about $60-70 worth of stove. I figured the part was $10, so it seemed a shame to throw it away. On the other hand, I didn't even want ONE Coleman stove, certainly not two. I didn't want to have to carry two stoves the rest of the trip. And then what? Send one back home? Sell it on Craigslist in Reno?

Here's what we did:

Old 05-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #1180
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
If it takes a part, then carry a spare. If it's something that might not be fixable (a camera, for instance), bring a back-up one. If you're not gonna carry a spare, but plan on buying a part or replacement, know what towns are big enough to be able to find what you need. Otherwise, resign yourself to travelling without that thing for what might be a good long while.
Its that or not bringing anything more complicated than a hammer. Low tech is the best way in my opinion. Of course I have a GPS, Spot, Digi Camera and a BMW. Obviously I have been breaking my own rules.

Thanks for the great report.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #1181
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We cooked dinner

on our new stove, and built a nice campfire,

and tied our food up in a tree,

(which, to the untrained eye looks suspiciously like David's drunken killer beaver dance, but isn't) and we turned in to bed only after leaving a small critter-snack on a tree stump to see if, in fact, there were any food-eating critters lurking about in the woods, or if it was just another urban myth.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-31-2009 at 01:27 PM
Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #1182
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

In the morning

the critter-snack (half of a too-sweet Li'l Debbie brownie) was GONE!

and when LDF went down to the stream to I don't know... whatever she was doing down there... scatter the coffee grounds or something, she shouted up at me.... "DAVID, A BEAR!!!"

I immediately ran up to the bikes to fetch the bear spray and yelled back to her "Get out of there!" as I headed down to rescue the damsel in distress.

When I got there, she was still at the stream-side.

"OK, maybe it's not a bear, but what is it?"

I look.

"Fer Crissakes, it's a friggin' Beaver." and I tried to take it's picture before it slipped off into the underbrush.

Henceforth, all references to "bear" and "bears" will be replaced with "beaver" and "beavers" (or "giant, killer beavers") and vice versa.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #1183
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,108

Great story.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #1184
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our stats for day 3

Not particularly impressive in the mileage category. But we sure were racking up the hours!

Old 05-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #1185
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 4: Thursday May 14, 2009

So we were going to have to pull off some big mileage between today and friday to roll into Battle Mountain for our pre-arranged tire-changing appointment on Saturday. I really didn't want to be late, since they'd be closed on Sunday, and I wouldn't have cell service to let them know to leave the tires for me, and then I'd have to change both tires myself, and seeing as this was turning into a luxury spa vacation , I was more inclined to pay someone else for the pleasure of getting their hands all dirty and such.

What today looked like from above:

and from the side:

Now, take a good look at those elevation changes. Nice 1000-2000 ft. climbs and descents. We'll say about 6 of them for this day over ~200miles. And the valleys in-between aren't exactly midwestern-flat... little 20-100ft. elevation changes throughout. We were in 1st, or 2nd gear for probably 85% of the 750mi. or so it takes to cross the Great Basin.

What you see above, is approximately the same profile for each of the days from the Wasatch mountains of UT, to the Sierra Nevadas in CA. Mountain range after valley after range, after valley, and so on and on and on.

Last night, just for kicks, we went through and counted through each day's GPS archive -- the range / valley pattern repeats about 34 (!) times before you can put the Great Basin behind you. From each crest, you can see down into, and across the valley to the next range, and They. Just. Keep. Coming.

At this point in the ride, thursday morning, we were still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to be heading out into cowboy country. We felt prepared, and we were. But the facts remain; the Great Basin is the 10th largest desert on the planet. It comprises 200,000 square miles. It has remained among the most sparsely-inhabited areas of the United States. It is a remote and desolate area. It is formidable and extreme. It is profoundly beautiful. And it near kicked our asses.

We made it through the NV TAT sections with minimal deviation, without any major disasters, but it was exhausting. Morale suffered. But we emerged with a much greater appreciation and respect for the geography, geology, history, and riding terrain. Hat's off to all who ride through this area solo... A big hand-shake to anyone who tackles it on a 650cc and above class-bike, . And a tip of the hat to those who settled here, call this area home, live off of and work the land. True grit.