User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #1186
zrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Just plan AWESOME!

I have been enjoying this for weeks. It has become a daily...sometimes hourly...ritual to read, look at and follow your progress. Having grownup in the desert south west and have family that homesteaded in the desert, I have a love and appreciation for BROWN. Now living in Seattle your trip makes me yearn to return. The fact that a couple from NYC can come this far in this manner is an inspiration to me. Thank you so very much for sharing your experiences and your pictures and you SPOT...followed every day... If you are ever in the Seattle area i would so much love to meet you and take you out to dinner and a thank you for sharing.

I do have a question. I too and a MAC user and have a Garmin 60Xsc. What software are you using to plot and load you GPS?

Funs Starting Again!!!
WR250R, TE510, 90 OW02, R1, 97 Cherokee
86 FJ600, 87 FZR1000, 88 OW01,77 CCM 550 3speed, 78 CR250, 75 Husky 360WR, 76 CCM 610, Triumph Tiger Cub 200
75 Pursang 250, Greeves, 74 CR125, RD360, CT175, Hodaka, Honda SL90
zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #1187
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
describe the action over the next 40 minutes, and LDF can add color commentary as she sees fit.
I hate looking like a dame in distress.........
Quote:
But this stuff was gnarly and I was tired of falling off my horse.....
Quote:
Upward and onward
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #1188
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrider
... If you are ever in the Seattle area i would so much love to meet you and take you out to dinner and a thank you for sharing.
Glad you're enjoying the ride. As a matter of fact... Mobius 4 in sept. will take us from Reno to the Seattle area. We have friends Everett and Anacortes, which puts us at least in the general vicinity. Once we knock back the write-up of M-3 and turn our attention to M4, expect some PM's asking for routing advice through the Cascades.
Quote:
I do have a question. I too and a MAC user and have a Garmin 60Xsc. What software are you using to plot and load you GPS?
I used the beta of RoadTrip to plot routes, and to assemble waypoints, and MapInstall to load the maps. It still has some kinks, but it's getting there. Here are some good threads to follow if you're trying to implement Garmin's Mac interface: 1. Garmin Mac software, 2. Firmware v.3.90 issues, 3. The blue flag (and other problems) fix.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #1189
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our day couldn't have started any better...

... as we were getting situated, and firing up the GPS's, I mumbled something under my breath, in my helmet, to myself. Something about "killer beavers"... and next thing I hear is, "HEY! I can HEAR you!!!"

Yes, the Scala's miraculously started working the way they were supposed to!

I didn't do nuthin'. They just started working. I was doubtful at first that it would last. So we didn't turn them off all day. And I was careful to only voice-activate it. But then I manually activated it, and it still worked. And we turned them on and off, and they still worked.

In fact, we abused the hell out of those damn things, and they worked absolutely perfectly the remainder of the trip. The only thing that changed was that I replaced LDF's earbuds with the back-up set since the left one (or right, I can't remember) had stopped working. I can't really see how that would have gotten my microphone back working again, but whatever.

We still received the replacement audio kit in Battle Mountain, but we never used it, though you can be sure I'll be carrying it along on future trips as a back-up, because now that we've tasted Mobius travel with the ability to inter-com, it will be difficult going back to shouting and using obscene hand gestures as the only forms of communication. It's totally awesome.

The road to Kanosh had been freshly graded and sprayed down overnight. It was like the perfect, dust-free dirt road:

We started describing sections as they do in the Dakar rally as either "transit" sections, or "special" sections. Transits were always do-able in 4th or 5th gear... specials were technical... this day had the most transits of any across the Great Basin.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #1190
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
just remind her that when NFL players go down 3 trainers rush out and gently help them limp off the field so she's way tougher than those bums.

right on LDF
Must be a J-E-T-S, J-E-T-S, J-E-T-S fan

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #1191
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Morning

The loose schedule I had sketched out would have had us camping somewhere between I-15 and Rt. 257 last night. We had 40 or so miles to cover to get to I-15... mostly transit.

The desert flowers were blooming,

and we were making good time with fairly easy riding, and great weather and scenery.

It wasn't long before we found ourselves skirting along I-15,

laughing at the poor saps stuck in the cages.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:23 PM   #1192
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,789
What cages? Great RR!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:23 PM   #1193
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Road signs that spark

the imagination, and cause worry. If you're prone to worry.

I'm not, but someone in our small group is... and as soon as she read that sign, she twisted the throttle... deep sand be damned, and poof... was gone:

Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #1194
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The road to Crystal mountain

was entirely graded hard-pack gravel.

Were really making good time, and I had zero regrets about pulling up short the day before, especially given what a nice spot Adelaide was.

This is what I thought ALL of NV would be like. Sort of like Oklahoma, but with elevations changes, and a couple of curves.

Yeah, nice straight shots of gravel, 5th gear, wide open... flying across the desert, like jet-skiing across the ocean... zooom!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #1195
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sometime before

Black Rock Pass, LDF became convinced that there was something wrong with how her bike was tracking... maybe the steering, or the tires... it just didn't feel right to her...

So I hopped on, opened it up to about 70mph,... mind you, talking to her all the time on the intercom, turned it around, and decelerated with hands straight out off the bars...

"Feels great to me... The mountain range in the distance draws your eye from the ground in front of you to the horizon. I think this may be the first time you've gone this fast on gravel this loose... that's just what it feels like."

We switch back bikes... she takes off again... I hear over the squawk-box: "I think you may be right"

Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #1196
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,602
Old 05-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #1197
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
At this point in the ride, thursday morning, we were still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to be heading out into cowboy country. We felt prepared, and we were. But the facts remain; the Great Basin is the 10th largest desert on the planet. It comprises 200,000 square miles. It has remained among the most sparsely-inhabited areas of the United States. It is a remote and desolate area. It is formidable and extreme. It is profoundly beautiful. And it near kicked our asses.

Hat's off to all who ride through this area solo... A big hand-shake to anyone who tackles it on a 650cc and above class-bike, . And a tip of the hat to those who settled here, call this area home, live off of and work the land. True grit.
Great report in the continuing M3 saga. Love this quote.

I think Dockingpilot was mentioning somewhere where it was doable, but much more enjoyable on a smaller bike.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #1198
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
We started describing sections as they do in the Dakar rally as either "transit" sections, or "special" sections. Transits were always do-able in 4th or 5th gear... specials were technical... this day had the most transits of any across the Great Basin.
My friend and I started doing that as well. We haven't travelled enough together, so it's not as finely tuned, but when we were slabbing it in the rain, it was a 'liaison', and dirt roads through nowhere were Super Specials. I added the 'Super', as in addition to my once a year Dakar addiction, I am a WRC nut.

Loving your trips.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #1199
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We blasted

up and over Black Rock Pass

What form, what grace...

Down in the next valley, the dry Sevier Lake came into view:

Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #1200
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Like an apparition

in the distance, Crystal peak rose out of the horizon

but the magical peak was being guarded by a killer....

BEAVER!