User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #1216
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Looping around

we finally cleared the southern end of the range to our west... the tall peaks, anyway, and started to see what was on the other side.

whatdya know... another valley, and a range beyond. At least this was a wide-ish transit section.

Which didn't last long before we encountered the next special:

Some loose steep switchbacks down... and then... ah, what's this? Oh, we can open it up again here... excellllent!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #1217
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Not so fast,

Buster. We missed a right turn somewhere here. "HEY... Turn AROUND!"

"Did you see it?"

"No. Did you?"

"No."

"It's got to be around here somewhere. Argh. I'm tired, I want a rest."

"On the GPS... it's right here. Is that it over there?"

It was like dialogue from the movie "Gerry"

"Well, that's the road probably... over there:"

"But where does it cross this road?"

"I don't know."

"I'm not seeing it. Should we just bushwhack? "

I take two steps to my right... and bam... there it is.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #1218
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Another transit

With road signs and everything so we won't get lost:

Only a couple of miles across the next valley, then up and over Patterson Pass.

Our very loose schedule had me hoping that we would make it past Rt. 93 by the end of today, which was in the middle of the valley just beyond Patterson Pass.

Zoomed in:

Old 06-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #1219
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We started the climb

into what would be our last special section for the day:

Except for the fact that obviously a place like this would be teeming with hungry mountain lions, I was thinking it would be a good place to camp.

The vegetation became more lush near "Indian Springs", and even more so as we started to climb.

We took a wrong turn which ended in a dry creek bed.

"Should we stop here?" "nah, let's see what's near the top of the pass"

"OK" "I'm getting tired" " me too."
Old 06-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #1220
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Cowboy camping

Sure, you stop and lay down pretty much anywhere. But the valley floors are hot, the peaks and passes are exposed, with no available firewood, and usually on a steep incline, to boot, so that's not so good unless you mind rolling downhill while you're sleeping.

I was eyeballing the trail for a good stopping place.

It was like a maze of trails, and dry washes, and juniper.

tight, steep, loose, and kind of claustrophobic. When we would break into a place where we could see over the trees, it was impressive,

But there didn't seem to be a flat clearing anywhere near the now highly technical,

nearly disappearing trail we were riding.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #1221
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Now we were really getting beat

it was time to stop. "Here?"

"I'm not feeling it... let's just get over the crest, and see what we get on the western side... that will give us a little more daylight as well"

"OK"

"Are you with me?"

"Yeah, right behind you"

"Hey, there's the next valley" "How about here"

"Yes."
Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #1222
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Boots off.

whew.

nervously looking around for any signs of rattlesnakes or mountain lions.

Within minutes:

Note: firepit, firewood, drinks poured... this is livin'

Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #1223
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our view for the evening

From sitting here: (trying to dial in the NOAA forecast -- no signal)

this is what we saw.

Our stats for the day:

Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #1224
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When the sun goes down

the temperature really drops.

but we know just what to do.

Cheers.

What a great day!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #1225
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 5: Friday May 15, 2009

Our tentative goal would be to get to somewhere around Lone Mountain, which would give us 110miles to Battle Mountain on Saturday, which, if they weren't too technical, (please, God), could be done in the morning... getting us to our new rear tires by early afternoon.

We were really pushing ourselves up 'till now to get to Battle Mountain and our tire appointment. We were doing it, but it was taking it's toll. No shower, no roof. Early starts, and long days.

Today (and tonight) would be no exception.

The elevation tells the story. Up to 8500ft. down to 5500ft. and back up again.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #1226
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We did our best

to "Leave no trace"

Not bad, if I must say so myself...

and we dropped down into the next valley.

This waren't no transit section.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #1227
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Signs of civilization

evidence of ranching

Crossing a paved road, power lines

a graded road,

a sign.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #1228
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A nice little warm-up

Nothing tricky at all... and then we see the next valley, and the next range come into view:

We head into Cave Valley,

and snap, just like that, the liason is over, and the special sections have begun.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #1229
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Water crossings

two-track, no track...

We were just riding, enjoying the scenery, listening to tunes, chatting every once in awhile, and loving life.

Not another soul in sight.

Why it's called a "special" section: Ruts...

Hill climbs:

Wet water crossings:

Rocky descents:

More steep hill climbs, with ruts, and rocks:

It was slow going, but beautiful, remote, and FUN.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #1230
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Check out this meadow

It was just gorgeous!

simply gorgeous.

Yeah, there's a trail barely still there.