Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #1246
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,521
This splash of color caught my eye

closer:

while I stopped to photo the flowers, I noticed that the rock formation seemed awfully regular, almost like bricks.

as I slowly rolled by, I saw this:

It was a visitor's log. No other marker. I was having trouble holding my bike up and photographing it. LDF was getting far ahead, and so I figured I'd read what it was later from off the photo... but I can't quite make out what it says now, and I don't remember.

"Washburn Station ... along the Historic ... (1870's)...???" It's not the Pony Express, since that was well to the North of here...

I'm thinking something military... No joy for me with Google... any ideas?

Edit: here are the coordinates: N39 02.119 W115 17.254 and I think I found something... it was an old stagecoach station?

From this website about the "American Discovery Trail" "...The White Pine Range is crossed on an old stagecoach road along Ellison Creek. The climb to the Ellison Ranger Station takes you through a canyon with sheer rock walls and the stone wall remains of a former stagecoach stop."
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-02-2009 at 06:19 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #1247
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Continued climbing

purple mountains majesty

remains of snow,

Where we just came from,

snow up closer,

LDF waiting to make sure I don't take the wrong road.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #1248
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Where we're headed

Everything is just right. Perfect, even.

Beautiful scenery,

riding that's not too difficult,

but not too easy,

perfect riding weather,

there were even pretty little hippy flowers blooming in the middle of the road.

and as a bonus... all our mechanical (the bikes) and electronic (ipods, gps's, scala intercoms) technology was working the way it was supposed to. We were well rested and in good health, (if a little stinky), fed, hydrated... I'm not sure it gets any better than this.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #1249
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

You know the pattern...

we began the descent, and I wondered if we'd be climbing again to clear a pass over those snow capped peaks.

(no, the route turns away from them). We passed someone's campsite,

and then the historical Von Schmidt reservoir

which fed the White Pine Mill, still visible at the Hamilton ruins

along with other evidence of early settlers

Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #1250
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Around the next few bends

we snatched our first glimpse of the next valley

this road takes you straight down there,

but Sam throws you on a side-track past an unnamed abandoned mine,

and straight onto the interstate...

Which we tagged.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #1251
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This is one of the

"uninhabited" valleys

and the trail becomes indistinct

(see... she's sitting )

Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #1252
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Navigation

gets a little tricky...

Once you pass the puddle...

you're traveling on cow paths.

these tracks are clearly visible from GoogleEarth,

not so much, though, at ground level...

You really have the sense that you're bushwhacking... however, while you might be tempted to just ride straight across to where you intersect the next road, be careful, 'cause there are old irrigation ditches and washes that you can fall into.

I could see one on the topo map, just off to our right, (also visible on the GoogleEarth image above) and if I squinted, I could see that a different kind of vegetation followed the ditch.

By the time we followed it to it's end, the two-tracks had all but disappeared.

I spied a fence / corral? and headed to it, hoping that we could pick up a trail in the right direction from there.

turned out to be a well, and we did find a "road"...

this sort of "Gerrying" in the uninhabited valleys is kind of fun, as long as it doesn't eat 2 hours... in the populated valleys, like I said... I think it can be skipped.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #1253
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,472
Your right, it does not get any better! I loved those ruins, really cool. We saw a few Mustangs in that area, did any appear when you rode through Doc ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #1254
bpeterson
pssst! over here.

Oddometer: 921
Doc - great RR so far, I'm really living vicariously through you and LDF. Well done.

So, how did you handle keeping the batteries fresh on all these devices? Were you charging while you rode?

Glad the Scala's worked out for you guys, I was getting really nervous about my upcoming purchase decision!
'02 DR-Z 400S
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #1255
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
... We saw a few Mustangs in that area, did any appear when you rode through Doc ?
The whole Great Basin was crawling with them like vermin. And they all had the little ones in tow... there'll be photos coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeterson
...So, how did you handle keeping the batteries fresh on all these devices? Were you charging while you rode?

Glad the Scala's worked out for you guys, I was getting really nervous about my upcoming purchase decision!
No recharging while riding. I wired in a 12V socket into Blueberry, to supplement Honeybee's. Each evening while we were setting up camp, I'd plug one of these:

into Honeybee with the iPods each on a retractable USB cable.

I had spliced one of the Scala 120V charging plugs (the multi-kit comes with two) onto a travel 12V recharger (bought separately),

so I could charge both Scala pods at once on Blueberry. (I also have the 120V double charger for home).

The iPods recharged to full in about 30 min, the Scala's in about 90min. Never had a problem with the battery on either bike (Blueberry's was new this trip).

When those were done, camera batteries and cell phones were recharged as needed... also on 12V cables. The NOAA weather radio is wind-up. We have no need for 120V on these trips.

Oh, except for LDF's hairdryer.

BTW, battery life was excellent on the Scalas -- full 10+h days talking or listening to music continuously. They're also pretty sturdy -- they survived dust and crashes and mud, etc. And like I said, it would be unimaginably disappointing to take a trip like this again without them. Except for the initial snafu, I can't say enough good things about them. Highly recommended.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 05:25 AM
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #1256
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though

there's no sign of habitation in this valley, there is a paved road (Rt. 50) that must be crossed. We do so, but there's a fence where the gate should be on the other side... No problem... just head a bit further up the pavement and take the next left... it puts you right where you want to be.

We start the climb up the next range...

there's still snow up there... I can't imagine it lasts that much longer into the summer.

what a good day for riding, eh?

There were tons of little, shallow water crossings (and some big ones) all the way across NV. Having the intercoms activated and functioning, I noticed that I was able to hear the rev's of LDF's bike, and what I heard was a little confusing. Occasionally, when she would enter a deeper water crossing, her engine rev's would shoot way up, and then settle back down.

I feared the new clutch was slipping. I started asking her about what was going on... (or "interrogating" as she would describe it).

I fired up the troubleshooting circuits and then sat back to see what my brain would come up with.

Hard to believe a new clutch would be fried so soon... then again, hard to believe someone could wear down clutches in two bikes in a little over a year. She must be doing something hinkey.

If I'd had to guess, when she wanted to cut her speed quickly, instead of chopping the throttle, (and risking stalling the bike), instead, she was pulling in the clutch, and then rolling off the throttle at her leisure, and re-engaging the clutch to suit the terrain.

Hmmm.... I thought about it some more, and listened closely to her engine revs during the next technical special section. It certainly would explain her colossal clutch wear. (insert pensive, beard-stroking smiley here).

Well, besides clutch wear, what's the down-side.

Oh, shit. If that clutch hand slips right while she's trying to slow down in a technical section, and the engine is revving through the roof, she's gonna pull the mother of all wheelies, and possibly launch into god knows what!... I recalled all the sheer cliffs we'd ridden along, and trees, and jeebus... I've got to say something.

Over the intercom: "So, babe..."
"yeah"
"I think I figured out why you're burning through clutches so fast..."
"uh huh... why?"

So we pull over, and I describe my theory... but all nonchalant... I try not to convey my fears about potential consequences... I simply frame it as "so if you do it the right way, yeah, you may stall the engine every once in awhile, but your clutches will last a lot longer..."

Don't ask how she learned it that way... it just happened, and no one realized it, and it was never a problem, so it just became a habit. But man, it made me nervous every time I would hear that engine rev.

She said she'd start thinking about it, and we even talked about clutchless shifting, and she said she'd try to work on keeping her hand off the clutch lever unless she were going to shift gears, and we headed down to lower elevations.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-02-2009 at 03:23 PM
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #1257
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before we knew it

We were in Eureka,

It was only 4pm, and we decided we had a few more miles in us, especially if we stocked up on groceries and took a little rest here.

Seems there was some kind of fancy car show gearing up... after we got gas, we found the grocery store, and I went in while she waited in the shade with Mr. Happy Puppet to keep her company.

We did the wine transfer from bottle to RumRunner, stowed the vittles, and headed out.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #1258
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The route out of town

puts us on a nice dirt short-cut (cool), and then smack into the gate of the shut-down KK Consolidated Mine.

Yeah, there's a go-around... but it's longer, and I want to get us moving again... Battle Mountain... tires... camping... dinner... bourbon... not wallow in town, rerouting...

OK, so there's a NO TRESPASSING sign posted. So there's a locked gate. I ride up to it and peer around. The road continues around to the left and down the hill. Sweet. Totally. Abandoned.

To the left of the gate, visible in the photo above, is a 2-3ft. berm. I do a little loop from where I'm nose up to the gate, and easily roll up and over the berm. It's a classic neduro basic Dual-Sport riding technique exercise... not even from the advanced sequel. It's a sneak-around... big deal I've heard people do stuff like this ALL the TIME back east where riding is more restricted. (not me, of course).

The whole time we're talking to each other on the intercom... or more like she's talking to me, and I'm not listening.

"I don't want to go here"
"C'mon... nobody's around"
"The gate is locked"
"Yeah, but the road on the other side is fine... we get past this gate and we're home free"

By now I'm on the other side, waiting for her to follow.

Good sport as she is, she starts rolling towards the berm, and at the last second, just as her front wheel hits the up-side, I hear the engine start to rev. I feel sick.

It all happens in slow motion. I'm not sure if my jaw or her body hit the ground first. She and her bike arc'ed a trajectory which, if evel knievel could have perfected would have launched him sucessfully over Snake River. Her front wheel hit first, which by that point had all rotation arrested by virtue of her right hand squeezing a death-grip on the front brake, and after the mother of all wheelies, she executed the mother of all endos, landing in a heap of bike and gear.

It really is something else to see the person you love take a hard hit like that. It adds a particularly unpleasent dimention when you can hear the crunching and moaning in real time amplified via inter-com and piped into earbuds directly onto your tympanic membranes.

I dropped my bike, even though I was on flat ground and ran over.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #1259
MK Bike
D2T

Oddometer: 142
what a cliffhanger!!

Nice touch on post by leaving it with the cliff hanger....er wheelie hanger...
Hope LDF came through ok....
MK Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #1260
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,126
Oh jeez... I know that feeling of watching the most important person in the world getting out of control.

I hope she was ok...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote