dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,002
Ouch!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #1262
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,218
Oh come on ! I didnt do this to you with my rr ! Is the ok??

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #1263
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
This RR needs no cliff hangers to keep me coming back. Thanks for the time and effort.
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #1264
tommo2
Michiganee

Oddometer: 219
ouch!

tommo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #1265
lousot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
doc your killing us
Old 06-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #1266
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
She staggered to her feet

"Are you OK"
"yes." "no." "My head hurts, David... what if I have a sub-dural hematoma"

[you have to understand, we both have years of medical experience with head trauma, we actually talk like this sometimes]

"did you lose consciousness"

"no, but neither did Natasha Richardson"

By now we're both picking up her bike...

"you grab the back... on three: one, two..."

She leaves her helmet on, and started walking in circles. I pick up my bike. I knew she was not severely injured when she started yelling at me for "making her do that".

To quote myself from LDF's first-ride report:
Quote:
There are times, perhaps, in every relationship when it is appropriate to say “I told you so.” I just haven’t come across one of those times yet.
I bit my tongue. But it had been exactly the sequence I was afraid of... a little flustered to begin with (because we were trespassing)... a timid approach, target fixation on the berm, and then the hands and feet didn't twist and squeeze and press like they're supposed to, instead, she's off balance and she's slipping the gears and reving the engine, and then popping the clutch and then everything's going haywire, and next thing you know she's airborne. Way airbourne... and then sideways.

I let her shake it off at her own pace, while I straighten her mirror, reattach her GPS, check the bike for leaking fluids, then I walk away and scope out our escape. We both need a little time-out to regain composure, figure out what to do next, let the adrenalin subside, and see if in fact we really got lucky with no serious damage to bike or body.

I snap this photo... shooting the scene of the crash, or her, is still somehow inappropriate.

[edit: I just realized why I shot the above photo... the red sign says "Warning: Haunta virus may be present. Do Not Enter" and I thought, "Jeebus, this is a new one... I better not let her see this sign until we get home... she worries enough; Mountain lions, bears, rattlesnakes, scorpions, major head injury, and now Haunta virus!!!" too much]

"what if I deteriorate, and we're out in the middle of nowhere?"
"I dunno, I'd hit Spot? Do you want to stay in Eureka?"
"That probably wouldn't be much better"
"Maybe not"
"I think I'm OK. Let's get out of here."

So she gets on her bike, and follows me down the hill, at the bottom of which is a loosely strung cable. I wheel up to it, grab it, and hold it high over my head. She slowly wheels under, and just as she passes, I feel the cable start to go slack, as one of the poles to which it is attached dislodges from the ground, and swings down, striking me on the arm. OW!

I disentangle myself from the cable, leave it on the ground, (it could have just have easily have collapsed under the weight of a largish bird), and high-tail it out of there to catch up with LDF.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 05:22 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #1267
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When the going gets tough

the tough get going... and LDF is nothing, if not tough.

down into the next valley,

our destination was somewhere on the slopes of Lone Mountain. The way there, however, was no cakewalk.

dusty, rutted... eventually it smoothed into some nice two-track, and we realized we were getting close. I tried to figure what would be the best elevation to stop and camp... at low elevations, it's flat, but hot, and there's not much firewood... at high elevations, everything's on an incline... somewhere in the middle is just right... find a flat spot with some tree cover nearby.

We pressed on into the setting sun, with Lone Mountain looking now less like a small hill in the distance, and more like a proper mountain.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #1268
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Score

We passed by some barely acceptable cowboy camping spots. Nothing spectacular. We got to the next turn in the route, a right which would take us back down into, and across the next valley.

Instead, I had her wait at that crossroads, while I scouted up ahead... what I'd do, is ride up until I just lost the Scala connection, and then maybe a little further, and then turn around and head back.

On a whim, I continued one or two turns past where I'd usually have turned around. I don't know why, maybe because all the spots we were considering 'till then were so uninspiring. Whatever it was, luck was on our side, 'cause we hit the motherlode.

I sped back down... "Oh, you gotta see this!"
"What?"
"a surprise... it's going to be great... follow me"

LDF: "is this SAFE???"

Old 06-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #1269
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I thought it was fantastic

an abandoned mine, with great views, a flat area for the tent, plenty of firewood, and a cool abandoned old car gutted and parked in front.

The shadows were starting to get long,

and we raced around, setting up camp, and trying to capture the magic of the place with photographs.

our discussion revolved around LDF's obsessive fixation that is was unsafe to pitch camp on top of an abandoned mine for fear of a mine explosion or collapse that would either engulf us in a fireball, or swallow us deep into the earth. I don't make this stuff up.

I felt like I was with Leo & Lilly again, answering 10,000 questions about absolutely everything...
"Uncle David, what's that?"
"Clutch plates, Leo"
"What's it for?"
"The clutch"
"What's a clutch?"
"It's what you need to change gears"
"What's gears?"
And so on until bedtime...

Instead, it was:
"What did they mine here?"
"Probably Kryptonite, maybe silver?"
"Isn't that the mine shaft right underneath where you're setting up the tent?"

"Um, no, it's the slag pile"
"Are you sure it's not the shaft? Why does it have these beams embedded in it?"
"Um... dunno"
[it took me awhile to figure it out... they built up the pile, and then laid rails on it to run the little trains that carried away more slag. I think]
"Well, maybe the beams are there to hold up the roof over the mine shaft that we're standing on, and they look old, and I think it's going to collapse"

"Can't be, a shaft runs up and down, vertically"
"Well, what do you think is under us right here, then?"
"Just rocks."
"Well, why hasn't anyone else built a campfire over here, only over there on the other side of the shed?"
"Dunno, maybe they were having a big party and it was windy, and the shed was blocking the wind?"

"I don't think so, there's probably a good reason... they knew something"
"I doubt it, probably hunters, or some kids partying"
"So you don't think there's a mine shaft under us?"
"OK, enough. Yes. Under us is a mine shaft... it goes straight down several hundred feet, and before the mine was abandoned, the miners took all their extra dynamite, as was customary at the time, and threw it into the shaft, and then piled these rocks on top, reinforcing it with the timbers you see sticking out. If we light a campfire here, it will likely burn those timbers like giant fuses, and once it reaches the dynamite, we will die in a hellacious firey explosion, and our crispy remains will plummet hundreds of feet into the mineshaft."

"You're kidding, right?"

"What do you think?"

In most people, this would be called perseveration... one of the symptoms of head trauma. But this was LDF... I was no longer worried... she was fine.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #1270
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Collecting firewood,

we found a real shaft:

well marked and protected by barbed wire strewn around the opening,

It did NOT look safe. I threw a rock in, and it took almost 3 seconds before it hit anything, and then it bounced around before it was quiet again. DEEP.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #1271
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was like being on a stage

with theater props.

or at a fashion shoot, with real professional lighting,

and theater props

Old 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #1272
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I had gotten some kind of

bug bite, and did my best Ewan McGregor,

Our day's tally:

Old 06-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #1273
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,462

Awesome! Silver mines, angry claim jumpers, and firey explosions! Just when I thought this RR couldn't get any better!!!
malibu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #1274
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

every two minutes

the light would change as the sun set...

and one of us would say "oooh, ahhh... oh, I've got to photograph that" and scamper off.

eventually, we settled down to eat, and drink, and relax... it had been a rough few days,

but we'd hopefully only have a half-day's ride in the morning, get our tires, and stay in a motel, with a bed, and a shower.

From our perch, we had a 180 degree view of the entire valley... no signs of human presence, except three lights directly across from us, 10 miles away. We were absolutely alone, and loving it.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #1275
richroat
Delaware Poser

Oddometer: 63
Dr. Rock, yer killin' me here. Ignoring my children, not going to work, refreshing the page every hour. Just amazing!
richroat is offline   Reply With Quote