Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2002, 09:51 AM   #1
Arch OP
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Question LC4 Adventure R plastic question...

Anybody out there know if the upper fairing for an '01 KTM Adventure R is available in unfinished orange plastic (as opposed to the painted stock part)? It doesn't appear in any of KTM's extensive catalogs or parts books (despite the big tank being available in plain orange) and no stateside sources know of it. I'd like to swap over for KTM's plain orange tank, but want an upper fairing to match. The stuff's all made by Acerbis, so I was hoping that maybe a fellow Advrider from another part of the world had heard of such a thing. Thanks, and here's a pic of the orange tank that the fairing needs to match...
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2002, 05:42 AM   #2
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Arch,

The first Adventures that came out in Europe had a plain orange fairing. This was the bike that had the twin low levelexhausts - I don't know if it was sold in the US.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:24 AM   #3
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,278
Cool2 Touratech

I think Touratech makes the Fairing DESIERTO for R1100GS, I think that is the same fairing as the 00 KTM Adventure

check them out at:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/BM...11&SubCat=Body
Old 12-17-2002, 07:33 AM   #4
Arch OP
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat0020
I think Touratech makes the Fairing DESIERTO for R1100GS, I think that is the same fairing as the 00 KTM Adventure
check them out at:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/BM...11&SubCat=Body
Yea, it's roughly the same shape up top, save for the removable screen like what came on older Adventures (which I like), but the area that mates to the KTM's fuel tank is completely different. It's bizarre, every single piece of KTM bodywork is readily available. In most cases in multiple colors and almost all are bare colored plastic, as should be the case on a machine that's expected to occasionally taste dirt. Except for the Adventure's upper fairing - which only seems to come painted.

Oh and Tim, thanks for mentioning the earlier bikes. There was one at my local shop that sold a while back and I didn't think (at the time) to check if its fairing was color impregnated or painted plastic. Either way, it's a different orange. Sure wish I could just buy a bare plastic one to go with the tank pictured above.

Oh well, in the meantime, as mentioned in a thread at GSpot, I've taken the stuff down to Line-X and had them spray on a protective rubberized coating. The thing's leading edges were getting all hammered by passing brush & such (we have some ugly thorny stuff around here) and even the most innocent of sandy lowsides grinds away at the tank's lower edges. This spray on stuff looks really durable and if scraped away on say a rocky get-off, can be patched in easily.

Thanks again for the thoughts, guys...

Arch
Attached Images

Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 07:54 AM   #5
Cat0020
El cheapo

Cool2 Call up Touratech AG directly.

Well, I think you can call or email up Touratech AG diretly and ask if they would produce the part that you want.
I've heard from David Park that they are quite friendly bunch to deal with custom needs, but expect long turn-around time and higher cost..
Good luck.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:07 PM   #6
Scotty
Adventurer X

Oddometer: 236
Arch,
Hey man, I am pretty sure there are no orange fairings out there! I have done some checking on this subject in the past, but found nothing.. I will check a couple more places in the morning
if you want to give me a call at the shop! 817-759-2586 DFW/KTM! Cheers,
Scotty
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:33 PM   #7
Scotty
Adventurer X

Oddometer: 236
Well Arch, sorry man, I tried! KTM offers it in black but that is the only color other than stock that I found.. Hey I got my '03 ADV.R last week and will post pics as soon as it is back together from some pre-ride mods.....Take care man
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 08:30 PM   #8
Arch OP
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
Well Arch, sorry man, I tried! KTM offers it in black but that is the only color other than stock that I found.. Hey I got my '03 ADV.R last week and will post pics as soon as it is back together from some pre-ride mods.....Take care man
Yea, ain't it weird given how all the other stuff comes molded in various flavors? Oh well, no worries. So ya got an '03, eh? Thought they weren't bringing those over. Love the silver & black scheme I've seen in pics.

FWIW, we'll be spending part of the holidays at Terlingua Ranch. Taking the trusty Adventure for another giant dirt fix...

Arch
Old 12-23-2002, 09:17 AM   #9
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
I saw an '03 at the Denver MOTO show this weekend and it looked identical to my '02... meaning ORANGE tail pieces...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:58 AM   #10
Cat0020
El cheapo

Cool2 03 Adventure

Supposely, the 03 should have hydraulic clutch as an upgrade from 02 models. I wonder if they would have a conversion kit for the non-hydraulic Adventures.. I have yet to have the hassle of breaking the clutch cable, but I hear it is fairly common problem.

Anyone have installed a Magura hydraulic cltch kit on their Adventure Rs?

Quote:
Originally posted by RocketJohn
I saw an '03 at the Denver MOTO show this weekend and it looked identical to my '02... meaning ORANGE tail pieces...
Old 12-23-2002, 10:17 AM   #11
Arch OP
Incurable Gearhead

Re: 03 Adventure

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat0020
Supposely, the 03 should have hydraulic clutch as an upgrade from 02 models. I wonder if they would have a conversion kit for the non-hydraulic Adventures.. I have yet to have the hassle of breaking the clutch cable, but I hear it is fairly common problem. Anyone have installed a Magura hydraulic cltch kit on their Adventure Rs?
I carry a spare clutch cable. We had to replace a friend's Adventure cable in the middle of nowhere a few weeks back. Coincidentally, I have a CCM Supermoto, also with Domino sourced controls, and it's just snapped its clutch cable. Magura sells an LC4 kit and I'm getting ready to order it. Will post about that once it's done...

Arch
Old 12-23-2002, 10:40 AM   #12
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
03 Adventure

AFAIK the '03 Adventure is all silver with black graphics and no orange - that's why I bought an '02 - it's not a KTM without some orange.

The '03 also has bigger valves, hydraulic clutch and (they claim) a better seat.

Arch - look forward to hearing how you get on with the Magura kit.