User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
Scotty OP
Adventurer X

Oddometer: 236
Hey folks,
Since your still here I decided not to start a new thread!

Arch and cat0020: I ordered the Magura Hydraulic kit for my 02 Adv. and had a seriously HARD time mounting it because of the signal control housing so before you order the Magura kit call your local Katoom shop (or email me at mine @ scott@dfwktm.com) and try to get a complete hydraulic clutch from the 03 Adv. The clamp for the NEW clutch is a little longer and will alow the lever adjuster to clear the control housing!

KTim: The new seat on the 03 Adventure is WAAAAAY BETTER!

Here is a link to the pics of my 03 Adventure and Akropovic exhuast:

http://www.pbase.com/bakerfarm/katoomst of all here are the pics[/URL]

Have a good one,
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty Arch and cat0020: I ordered the Magura Hydraulic kit for my 02 Adv. and had a seriously HARD time mounting it because of the signal control housing so before you order the Magura kit call your local Katoom shop (or email me at mine @ scott@dfwktm.com) and try to get a complete hydraulic clutch from the 03 Adv. The clamp for the NEW clutch is a little longer and will alow the lever adjuster to clear the control housing!
Thanks for the heads up, bro. Seems if it's the same as the '03 625 SXC's factory hydraulic clutch setup (Magura as well), it won't work on an '02 or earlier LC4. Or at least it won't work at the engine 'cause the newer ones have an internal mechanism there, while the kit has a little slave cylinder that needs to be installed in the cable stop that '02s & earlier have.

Or ... Am I missing something here, Scotty? Maybe you're saying that just the controls can be mixed & matched? In other words, the factory '03 controls along with the kit to convert earlier ones from there on down to the gearbox? Thanks for the time...

Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:28 PM   #3
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
Hey folks,
Since your still here I decided not to start a new thread!
I did it for you. :):

-BS

boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:35 AM   #4
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,291
Cool2 Magura Kit

I have a Magura hydraulic clutch kit in the garage, but still have yet to really stare at the bike to figure out how the thing goes onto the bike. I think the biggest challenge should be routing the sealed clutch lever or the moving cylinder underneath the fairing.
If I get sometime to myself instead of entertaining my family, I could probably get it working before New Year.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Re: Magura Kit

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat0020
I have a Magura hydraulic clutch kit in the garage, but still have yet to really stare at the bike to figure out how the thing goes onto the bike. I think the biggest challenge should be routing the sealed clutch lever or the moving cylinder underneath the fairing.
If I get sometime to myself instead of entertaining my family, I could probably get it working before New Year.
Just pop off the tank, Cat. First remove the seat (one 8mm bolt secures it from below), then the two 8mm fasteners on each side that secure the fairing to the tank, then the two fuel lines (make sure both taps are closed first). The tank will come right off with a tug towards the rear and obviously this is best done when it's empty.

BTW, you'll be surprised at how tiny the thing looks with that giant tank removed!

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your install.

You guys have a Merry Christmas, we're all loaded up for a little holiday vacation...

:): Arch
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2002, 12:22 PM   #6
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,320
Re: Re: Magura Kit

Quote:
Originally posted by Arch
then the two fuel lines (make sure both taps are closed first). The tank will come right off with a tug towards the rear
Don't forget to disconnect the wire to the fuel level sensor.

Nice setup you got there in the truck Arch.

-BS

boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 12:26 PM   #7
John Macdonald
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
go archie go

don't forget the marshmallows for the campfire-
Old 12-30-2002, 10:40 AM   #8
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Re: Re: Re: Magura Kit

Quote:
Said boyscout:
Don't forget to disconnect the wire to the fuel level sensor. Nice setup you got there in the truck Arch.
Whoops! Yep, mine's an '01 so it doesn't have any wires to undo and I fergetted that the scoot in question is an '02. Hope nothing bad came of it!

As for the truck's setup, well, I'm often accused of being anal about how things are arranged & secured ... so thanks for noticing.

Arch

PS, the ride was a complete hoot, as usual. Will post some pics in Ride Reports soon. In the meantime...
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2002, 03:09 AM   #9
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Arch,

What's the orange bit on your tank - has the paint worn off or is it a sticker?
I only ask because I have just got my new Adventure and will try to protect the paint if it is paint loss on yours.

Tim
Old 12-31-2002, 07:03 AM   #10
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,291
Cool2 Just ride it

Are you serious?
KTM is meant to be ridden, not to look pretty.
The more scratches the more character, I don't even clean off the mud that's baked onto the muffler, that works as a protective layer from rocks and sticks that fly up from behind.

Quote:
Said KTiM:
Arch,

I only ask because I have just got my new Adventure and will try to protect the paint if it is paint loss on yours.

Tim
Old 12-31-2002, 09:30 AM   #11
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Said KTiM:
It's just a little KTM logo, Tim. Only area worth trying to protect are the tank & fairing sides 'cause even the most innocent of sandy lowsides lays waste to the paint. No big deal given the bike's mission in life, but out where I ride this thing on occasion, a fast get-off could conceivably bore right through the plastic at the tanks lower edge. That'd suck in the worst possible way out there. See this thread for related gab, but basically I had the area covered with a rubberized coating like what's used on truck beds and it's thicker at the areas needing the most protection. One of these days I'll do a new thread about the stuff and include some better pics. So far it's held up just fine to passing thorny bushes that used to rip gouges into the plastic.

Arch
Old 01-10-2003, 07:16 AM   #12
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Said Arch:
Thanks for the heads up, bro. Seems if it's the same as the '03 625 SXC's factory hydraulic clutch setup (Magura as well), it won't work on an '02 or earlier LC4. Or at least it won't work at the engine 'cause the newer ones have an internal mechanism there, while the kit has a little slave cylinder that needs to be installed in the cable stop that '02s & earlier have.

Or ... Am I missing something here, Scotty? Maybe you're saying that just the controls can be mixed & matched? In other words, the factory '03 controls along with the kit to convert earlier ones from there on down to the gearbox? Thanks for the time.
Bumping this back to the top. Scotty, can ya add anything here? Thanks...

Arch
Old 01-12-2003, 04:32 AM   #13
Scotty OP
Adventurer X

Oddometer: 236
HEY Arch,

Well man, the controls (switch housing) on the 02 and 03 Adventures are the same! The difference is the clutch perch!

So, I think what you would need would be the Magura Hyd. clutch mod with a stock perch from an 03 Adv.R.......Which could get pricey! Or you could modify or change your controls to the Euro switch (which is an extensive mod in itself)!
Anyway Bro, hope this helps! Its EARLY !

I got the Akropovic Titan exhuast put on and after monkey'in with the carb for a week I finally got my 03 back together! At least enough for a quick ride around the 14 acre field next to our shop and WOW its a totally different bike!!! I will try to post some pics this afternoon!

Scotty
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:13 PM   #14
witzgall
Goin' South

Oddometer: 220
I have a 01 with the Hyd Clutch

I installed the Hydraulic Clutch on my 01 adventure. To make it fit, you need to take a dremel tool to the switch gear. It really is not a big deal, just take your time and do a little at a time. There really is alot of plastic that can be removed without compromising the integrity of the unit. The Dremel tip I used was a small grinding bullet.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:29 PM   #15
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Thanks, witzgall. So basically if one just tells their part guy to order a Magura hydraulic clutch kit for a KTM LC4, that'll result in eveything needed? (I always welcome an opportunity to whip out the Dremel!) If so, I'm gonna order up the stuff on Tuesday.

And Scotty, be sure and fire up a new thread on that Akropovic zorst. Love the look! I'm seceretly hoping against hope that it's no louder than KTM's SXC muffler and s-pipe, 'cause I don't want the bike to be loud, but would love to have those sexy pipes...

Arch