RI & Eastern CT Big Bike Drop-o-rama

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by mrt10x, Oct 5, 2010.

1. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    So now maybe a KLR (or two), a ktm990, and a 650 Dakar could be in the mix? If I'm leading I can make that work for sure BUT I'm also starting a new thread for the southern new england small bike contingent that's still a bit scared each time they put on their boots..

the big bike / small bike thing is getting too confusing!
  2. MATPOC

MATPOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    where does the Sunday ride start and can I get there on dirt? my new Terrorflex does not take kindly to slab
  3. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Confusing? I'm finally getting it, and I've got enough subscriptions to keep track of. But it makes sense.
    I'm really looking forward to taking the WR around Al's area, but I'm still waiting for my WR parts from thumpertalk; I should have gone to a local shop for them. :baldy

Small bike contingent of tenderfoots?
  4. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Need For Speed in Old Saybrook could have hooked you up well. I've never had a problem with TT though.
  5. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Sorry I started this confusion for this ride.. I really dont think the ride that was discussed last week for this weekend is very big bik friendly.. I just know Rob could ride that 990 just about anywhere.. he just chooses not to. MATPOC has proven he is insane enough to take his bike anywhere also, but no there is no way to get from Providence to East Haddam on dirt. Bikenstiches if you want to ride I will bring my DRZ 400 down for you but I really dont think you want to ride your 650 on this route. Now all the above is just my opinion and can certainly be over ruled by the collective. The ride around East Haddam doesnt have the rocky crap like Pachaug has, but it does have some tight single track, a couple of pretty sketchy downhills, a few ledges that need to be negotiated...especially if we ride the powerlines sections.
  6. MATPOC

MATPOC Long timer

Oddometer:

I have gone to alocal shop and they told me Yamaha will take up to 10 days to deliver parts. Both Duvcati and Aprilia now deliver in under a week and thise parys come from Italy, guess Japanese should take alesson from Italians... and the reason I'm getting Yamaha parts is yhat I finally doing work on my AT1, 125cc 2 stroke enduro! Watch out Pachaug!

[​IMG]
  7. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I wasnt planning on riding with the group Sunday. I may see what kind of trouble I can get myself I.to a little closer to home though. Sunday will be too nice to leave to bike in the garage. My real focus will be wrenching on the 450. Beers, tunes and oily fingers - I don't mind at all.
  8. MATPOC

MATPOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is what my bike should look like when done, you think I can tackle Mt Misery on that?

[​IMG]
  9. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Sure, why not? I've chased a TW200 up that hill more than once. Mistakes could be hard on the vulnerable engine case though.
  10. MATPOC

MATPOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK then, no rocky stuff!

Hot to wait couple weeks for a damn crank seal now.... can't wait to ride it!!
  11. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    No rocks good luck...:D tough to find around here...

What model is that..?^^^^^^^
  12. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like it has as much suspension travel as my Montesa. No doubt the bike could do it, but it will be exhausting.
    Mrt10x- I'd rather not borrow your back-up ride, but I do appreciate the offer very much. It's not that I don't trust myself riding it, but I'd be too worried about taking me or it beyond our limits.
    The TT parts were delayed getting shipped by two days because I changed paypal fund sources and screwed it up. I did receive a new rear tire and tube for the WR today from MC Superstore; a Shinko 520. I may ride the Dakar in the local haunts this weekend.
  13. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    Today I went out to go for a ride with BobQ, CTDualSport, and PaulK but after I fueled up at the gas station the bike wouldn't start. After some diagnosing I found the starter solenoid/relay had failed. I tried to order a new one today but it wouldn't be available until around Tuesday and for $80 (!) so I bought a barely used one off ebay for $25.. I doubt the ebay one will arrive before Sunday but it's possible.

If not I have some other options; including using a wrench as a starter switch by momentarily laying it across the two posts on the relay and effectively bypassing the relay. That's how we started it up at the gas station. There are more efficient (but just as ghetto) methods than that I can rig up if needed.
  14. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mrs. Trip's first bike:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1973 Suzuki TS50 barn find. 2 stroke, 5 speed, 49cc's...didn't even need a license...street legal and registered in RI.
    I never should have sold it... it was 6 volt...I never could get the lights to work right. That bike was a great size for her.

[​IMG]
  15. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    You SOLD this? That's grounds for divorce in my house! Man, I'd be ALL OVER THAT, what a freakin' hoot & and a half.

Those pics of MrsTrip are GREAT! You go girl.
  16. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Divorce?!?

Any sane jury would overlook a corpse buried under the Gardenias if selling that bike was the reason.
  17. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    You have never seen my garage...and might need to check your sense of humor. Sheesh.
  18. MATPOC

MATPOC Long timer

Oddometer:

And my 'lil Yeller bike not hawt?
  19. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I prefer Pachysandra as a ground cover. Fills in quick and thick.
  20. p_funk

p_funk Patfunk

Oddometer:
    Al, mine just shit the bed on the KLR. Did the same thing, used off ebay. Fired right up. On the off chance they match up you can definately borrow mine