Northern Michigan,howz the colors so far??

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by BMWRich, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BMWRich

BMWRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading up that way in a coupla' weeks.
    Any guess' when you think the colors will peak?
  2. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Colors are coming on, and should be prime in about 2 weeks.
  3. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    To a Michigander there is Northern Mich. and then there is the U-Pee. The UP is a couple of weeks ahead of the upper lower in changing. There is a little color right now below the bridge. In two or three weeks the colors will be prime in the TC area. I think.
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    To a "Yooper", anything below 'da bridge is "southern Michigan" (and a complete abomination).:evil
  5. GreatNorthRider

GreatNorthRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. BMWRich

BMWRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for the report..and sorry 'bout not being specfic as to which part of Mitch'agan. U-pper,...Lower...Michianna...Dunes...etc.......

I was interested in the North Western part as in Trav/Petosky..."Belo' da Bridge..eh..
    O'clay....so in two weeks baby!!:thumb :thumb :thumb
  7. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    TC and Petosky= good choice. You gotta ride 22 and 119!
  8. gettr

gettr What not to do..

Oddometer:
    Hoping to see some colors... The wife and I are heading to the UP for 7 days on the dirt bikes tomorrow. Marenisco to Copper Harbor to Gwinn to Grand Marais, back to Gwinn, then thru Iron River back to Marenisco. We'll be riding mostly the CT V routes I rode in June.
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Put on 350 DS miles today, mostly in the National Forest near Eagle River and just across the UP border. Colors starting to turn right now. In some areas, things are looking good, in others not a lot has happened yet.

Edit:

This evening.
    [​IMG]

This morning.
    [​IMG]
  10. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    Beautiful shots Cannon. I was in Colorado last Sept. and the Grand Marais area a few weeks ago. I was on my road bike both times and told myself that next time it would be on a dualy. So I'm going to look at a Dr 650 later today or tomorrow. That will be the cats meow on the back roads.:D
  11. VON STRIDER

VON STRIDER CHICKEN LICKIN' GOOD

Oddometer:
    I don't have solid plans but would be headin' that direction from Muskegon.......R100GS, If you want to ride let me know.
    Brad
  12. Matt W

Matt W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm taking a week starting the 9th to travel the state. I found this pic:

[​IMG]

And this site: http://www.newsupnorth.com/fall/

Don't know if it helps.

This is my trip, let me know if there are any secret places that are a not to miss spot. Thanks

Matt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Boyne/Petoskey. Color hasn't really started yet. We have a couple of trees going, but not enough to consider it fall yet. I would guess another couple of weeks. Best time is probably right after peak.

Just be aware of two things with M-119 and the fall. First, the weekends get BUSY. Last year I literally had to go 20mph all the way to Cross Village behind a pack of very rude Harley guys. And Cross Village turned into an unofficial bike show, there were just that many cruisers. Followed a BMW and saw maybe 3 sportbikes, everything else was Harleys or similar. Also, if you go mid week and it has been raining, be careful. There are a lot of trees which means a lot of leaves on the tarmac. They call it tunnel of trees for a reason.
  14. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    was in the marquette, munising area this weekend and in "my" opinion there was very little color.
  15. BMWRich

BMWRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Tunnel of tree's..!
    Did it last year,but that was in August...
  16. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    I rode the Tunnel twice this summer, once on a June weekday and in Sept. on a Sunday eve. No traffic either time. I hear it can be a bear during the colors season. Beware of the sand on some corners. After it rains it washes out of driveways into the road. Matt, I noticed on your map that your are mostly sticking to the main two laners. If you skip M22 between TC and Manistee your missing the best ride in lower Mich IMO. Its 125+ miles of curves and hills, great beaches, and great restaurants.
  17. Matt W

Matt W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet, thanks for the heads up. My route is just a base plan. I will definitely look into hitting M22. Thanks
  18. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah....beware sand in the apex of right handers. Road it recently (prior to the rain) and there was a ton of sand that isn't normally there. Looks like the road commission (and they did it to a few corners that I ride going to work) was trying to build up the shoulder a little more. It just spilled over onto the road. Hopefully it has cleared up in the last couple of weeks.