Any new info about KTM 990 fuel pump replacement

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by 7575KK, Mar 3, 2011.

1. 7575KK

7575KK KK

Oddometer:
    There are few threads and few posts abut 990 fuel pump but I do not see any of you posted infos about fuel pump replacement (like infos about Facet pump for 950).

So, have anybody replaced successfully OEM fuel pump for 990 with some other manufacturer pump so that pressure and flow needs are satisfied?

I have idea quite some time to replace OEM pump with something else and take it outside of tank simply because there will be small extra capacity of fuel in left tank and more important if left tank is damaged pump can still work with right tank (like on 950) ;)

... and let not forget that filter set for OEM pump cost more than 100$ :huh

So... any new infos :D

KK
  2. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    Does the 990 have the same issues the 950 had? Seems FI systems are pretty bullet proof as far as failures.
  3. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last I heard, Head2Wind was working on it...
  4. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pumps don't seem to be the problem, the cost and availability of filters does. The KTM filter kit is more like a pump rebuild kit with a lot of extra stuff.
    The pump is probably used on other brands of motorcycles, so there should be other sources of cheaper filter kits with out all the extras. I spent some time trying to search for bikes with Keihin FI and looking up their pumps/filters with out success, I'm sure someone else will find the right bike and source.
  5. 7575KK

7575KK KK

Oddometer:
    So I hope so :)

What about second part, to keep it outside tank so i wont be tank-side dependent...
    .. so that one of tank sides can be closed at will (no matter what, left or right) and pump will get fuel from other one open (like it is on 950)
    :evil

KK
  6. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    I heard the same thing. I'd be interested as well.

I'd like to have it outside of the tank...
  7. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    working on it. if you want, PM me and we can discuss ideas.
  8. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    It would make sense that the pump assembly is shared with other production machines, however I have yet to find the cross over PNs. I also want to address a couple other design issues that I believe should be different for a machine that should be able to consume questionable quality fuels without significant and/or immediate reduction in performance of the heart of the FI system, the fuel pump; the flow and pressures associated.
  9. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy to help. It certainly isn't an area of expertise but I am willing....
  10. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    I have a BUNCH of irons in right now and a new wrinkle has just developed that will be reducing my available time for ~3-4 weeks, however I am very interested in working on developing a working solution, just need to find the extra time to make it happen.
  11. 7575KK

7575KK KK

Oddometer:
  12. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    You have NO IDEA how absolutely ironic that you chose the "Stones" for me to gain perspective..... "Stones" are what are making my near term available time.. um less than optimal.. one of those "well we can pull the dip stick or drop the pan" situations.... "won't know until we get in there" :huh
  13. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that H2W.

Max
  14. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any development?
  15. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer: