(Not So Famous) Five Have A Moroccan Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DeeGee, Oct 7, 2012.

1. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Well as I sit here in Fes I thought while I have a wifi connection I will begin my ride report.

The trip was mentioned with some riding buddies a couple of years ago and a plan was hatched. I tried to get a pass to ride on my own, but my missus was having none of it. "the going will be too tough" and "it will be too difficult two up" I protested, but it fell on deaf ears, "you're not going abroad on that bike without me" was the only reply Jack came back with. This went on for several weeks and in the end I held my hands up and had to say fair play for her digging her heels in and being so determined.

A couple of our friends we originally planned to go with had to drop out due to work commitments and an emigration to Canada, but a couple of keen friends soon came on board when the opportunity arised.

Bikes were prepped, tyres were bought and we were all set to roll........ Then Brittany Ferries (the company who we were to sail from the UK to Spain with) went on strike and suspended all crossings.

Options were weighed, phone calls, emails and texts were frantically sent back and forth, the ferry was back on..... Then off again..... Bollocks we'd not even turned a wheel and we were having an adventure!

Time to break out the savings tin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cash was counted and I went to get some changed into euros. :thumb

[​IMG]

Anyway the company put on extra crossings from Poole to Cherburg and we managed to get a place on there and Chubbythumper got a ferry from Ireland to Cherbourg the day before us, so all worked out in the end.

Due to the strikes we left a couple of days earlier so we had an extra two days worth of Adventure ahead of us!

Meds were packed, not sure if Jack's gone overboard or not :scratch

[​IMG]

The ferry arrives at Poole

[​IMG]

The team left to right Frog AKA Pete, V Twins for me AKA Posh Rob (he's from Oxford!) Chubbythumper AKA Terry and Mrs. DeeGee AKA Jack.

[​IMG]

Signing off for now as breakfast awaits and we have a day off the bike today to have a wander round Fez.
  2. stamp

stamp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, DeeGee! Just come back from Morocco myself (in Spain on the return leg right now). Shame I missed you! Love Fez. Have fun.

4. nightflyer

nightflyer Hors contrĂ´le

Oddometer:
    Just arrived myself this morning from 2 weeks trip taking me and 3 other bikes to Morocco. It was awesome, wish it was longer!
    Enjoy, it is absolutely fantastic to ride in this part of the world :deal
  5. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This is gonna be great! It's been quite some time since we've seen a Morocco ride report!! :clap

7. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Currently in a hotel in the north of Spain, ferry tomorrow night back to the UK ......... And reality :cry

Here's a teaser

[​IMG]
  8. ChubbyThumper

ChubbyThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does Gav return to normality or does he go Berber and spend the rest of his days herding camels?

[​IMG]

Many thanks for the trip invite Gav and your moral support when the news from home was not good. Top man...Chubby.
    DeeGee likes this.
  9. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
    Good on you DeeGee.

Fes is great place!

Ciao

Nic
  10. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    This looks to be interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  11. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    So pretty much all my pictures are uploaded and I've an hour or so before I'm back in work this evening. The motorcycle travelling is absolutely top drawer, but when you get home you get home with an all mighty bang!

Anyway, buckle up grab a brew and off we go :ricky

Here's a proper introduction to the team;

Jack (my missus)

[​IMG]

Chubbythumper AKA Terry

[​IMG]

V Twins for me AKA Rob

[​IMG]

Frog AKA Pete

[​IMG]

And little old me AKA DeeGee/DG/Gav Flying the KTM Colours

[​IMG]

So as mentioned before we had a bit of an adventure, before we set off due the the strike actions of the French crew on the ferry. We all managed to get on an alternative ferry though on a different crossing two days earlier than planned, this meant Jack had to wangle another day off work and also she had to go in on the Sunday to make sure all wages were done for the staff. Monday arrived and we were like a pair of kids on Christmas Eve, we had waited soooooo long for this adventure.

Bike packed to the gunnels and we were off.

[​IMG]

We made a short stop on the way to Poole to borrow a friends GoPro camera, quick chat and a brew and we were on the way again.

Garage stop for fuel and water :deal

[​IMG]

We eventually found our way to the Port on the South coast of England, parked up and waited for the others to arrive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rob soon followed on his SE

[​IMG]

Then came Pete, followed by the boat.

[​IMG]

Once on board the bikes were strapped down we went upstairs and began the banter and Pete got stripped off!

[​IMG]

As Terry was travelling from Northern Ireland he had travelled on an overnight ferry the day before, still sailing into Cherbourg therefore we had all booked into a cheap Formula 1 hotel for the night. We got off the ferry in the wet darkness and made the short journey to the hotel where Terry was waiting for us.

The following morning hadn't changed, it was an early wet start to the day.

[​IMG]

We'd not been going all that long when some of the "older" team members needed to relieve their swollen bladders :D

[​IMG]

Oi!! :ear

[​IMG]

We made good progress and found our way down near a town called Dax in southern France, fuel and a brew to decide what to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided that a motel round the back of the fuel station was too expensive for what it was and decided to head into the next town to find digs........

We rode and tried several hotels, some were derelict and the rest were full, time was pressing on as it was near 21.00, we had been on the road since 7.30 and we were getting pretty desperate. We got our heads together and pressed on further south aiming for a hotel which we'd punched into the satnav and luckily we came up trumps as the bright lights illuminated the hotel at the side of the road. Once the bikes were secured and the luggage removed we headed for the restaurant.......... Which was closed :cry

[​IMG]

Luckily good old Micky D's was round the corner so we headed there and managed to get some food in ouir bellies before that closed on us too! :thumb It was licensed too!

[​IMG]

Early breakfast the following day and we were on the road rolling by 8.00 Pretty uneventful day as we hooked up the ipod and listened to some tunes while we munched away the miles.

[​IMG]

Over the border into Spain.

[​IMG]

Fuel stop where Rob and Pete took advantage of the shade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuel stop and Jack had time to check out her phone.

[​IMG]

Did I mention Jack was on her phone? :D

[​IMG]

We got a place to stay just north of Madrid in La Cabrera in Spain.

[​IMG]

We ate and dined there. A real character owned the place, he recommended the cheeseboard for dessert which I asked for :huh

[​IMG]

I was sooooooooooo excited!! :rilla

[​IMG]

Right graft beckons, catch up with more tomorrow.
  12. Louisdut

Louisdut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool keep it coming :thumb

Louis
  13. macrae85

macrae85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I await your report.I was going to Eastern Europe,but i'm hoping to get on the Brittany Ferries boat
    this Sunday.Heading to Morocco because of the temperature(bought the wrong Hein Gericke trousers :) ).
    Still getting the bike set up,swines that sell the carb jets were closed for some unexplained reason,and i've
    just been sent to London with a 40' trailer full of vodka,so Sunday might be a push!(The Suzuki XF650 Freewind
    is struggling to push 70mph with an 'open' pipe fitted,and the report i read in upjetting had a typo,ie,currently #52.5
    main jet,and the report said #160-think they meant #60,but it'll be trial & error.Have lifted needles full.Should have known,it's a #160 in my single carbed DR650SE!).Plan 'B' is to drop the needles again and attach the 40kg (:p)
    standard exhaust can!
    See how it goes!
  14. Blackbert

Blackbert Factory Rambler

Oddometer:
    RR-season has started. :thumb
  15. gs-ell

gs-ell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good so far DG!
    DeeGee likes this.
  16. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice nice :1drink
    Keep it coming!
  17. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the ride here in Idaho. :freaky
  18. joneswgareth

joneswgareth Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer:
    Ahhh so this is where the report has been hiding!

I was one of the unlucky 2 that couldn't go so can't wait to read this! Loving the matching trousers Rob and Terry - you make a lovely couple

:lol3:lol3
    DeeGee likes this.
  19. Blueoffroader400

Blueoffroader400 n00b

Oddometer:
    :1drink So how long you got to do the trip in? have you got a plan per day how many miles etc?
    looking forward to the journey:lurk
  20. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    We were away for 3 weeks in total and planned to have 2 weeks in Maroc, no real mileage plans per day, just picked out a town/city and headed in that direction. When we had enough we stopped and searched for digs.

:lol3D
    :rofl :rofl :rofl

Twas Pete and Rob and I can confer they did make a nice couple! :feelgood

Real shame G man! But you got a neat SE and a huge back yard to play in!!