XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. XRPOWER

XRPOWER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have problem vith my photo bucket i vill post asap when its fixt!
  2. XRPOWER

XRPOWER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://[​IMG]
  3. XRPOWER

XRPOWER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

$1000 isn't bad. I was thinking more around 2000$, but being CDN, it will likely be the case.

I drain the fuel, and batteries can be bought or I can pack them home if need be. If that's the case I'd buy a lithium Ion..... but first see if I can fly with one packed in my luggage.

In the past I've drained the fuel and had a cab stop at the gas station to get gas on the way to the storage container.
  5. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not my experience at all. I had a 280 EBC rotor on my CRF450 for 9 years and it was still working fine when I sold it. I even raced Supermoto with it, which was a little too much. Boiled the fluid once, but the rotor was fine. I've had one on my XRR for over 3 years and it works just as well. :D
  6. TR562

TR562 Banned

Oddometer:

For just the top end

piston
    rings
    sent the cylinder to millenium to replate
    kibble white valves
    seals
    guides
    springs
    got the seats grinded
    hotcam stage 1
    new rocker arms
    gaskets obviously

Ended up being around 1,200 for everything including oil and that kind of stuff. Also I bought a new cam chain then didn't put it on because I'm lazy. I just hope I don't have to do the bottom for a while, the top I had no problem with but the bottom end is intimidating to me.
  7. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the rod will come up, but I wonder if bearings are even required. Hum. Helps if I looked into their costs.
  8. 1bigrn

1bigrn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta figure out how to mount two batteries so I can get my full 250 watts of DC.
  10. aaat doc

aaat doc Been here awhile

Oddometer:

just a thought in process....
    1) i know they have been put around the air box
    2) also beside the carb like the baja design estart kit did
    3) also seen behind the right radiator where one would put a auxiliary fan
    4) even heard of one positioned behind headlight fairing

but...
    5) why not in a solid (not completely enclosed but very well made) tool box type structure attached to skid plate (heavy one of course) ..say sitting on top just below header pipe where front fender does not hit - a small shorai battery with lots of cranking power / light weight / small..
    (touratech and mod both made steel tool boxes that attached firmly to the skid plate for example....i'm sure i could weld up one battery size?
  11. mitchn06

mitchn06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most battery Positioning is tucked away out of harms way, what you describe would kinda be the opposite. Not saying is hasn't/couldn't be done, but I wouldn't put mine there. too vulnerable for my liking.
  12. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    The BD batteries go bad spontaneously and they just don't have the power to run most lights.
    Baja Designs used to make a bracket that would fit against the radiator and designed to hold the rectifier and small battery, you can run two small batteries on that bracket if you wanted. I have one if you need to see pictures to mimic it.

I'm running an EarthX 6A battery (CCA 80A) with a voltage regulator that can handle the larger stator output. Placed mine just underneath the carb, it weighs nothing. Made an aluminum bracket, battery stays put with Velcro & Zip tie.

[​IMG]
  13. 1bigrn

1bigrn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can you please post close up pics of your battery mount. Preferably without the battery in place.
    Thanks
    Andrew
  14. KustomizingKid

Oddometer:
    Thats a good little hiding spot :lol3

As far as Baja Designs goes, I have gone from unimpressed to EXTREMELY unimpressed with their products. I think they make good high end lights and then they produce a bunch of very shitty overpriced stuff and ride on the reputation of their lights.

Their customer service sucks too.
  15. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Think most the people here would disagree with you about that. Baja Designs has always gone above and beyond for me.
  16. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ridefreak mounted a small sealed lead acid type battery behind the cylinder - very neat installation
    Search this thread (or the XRelectricity) thread for his early posts and you will likely see it in his pics

JM-2008
  17. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    i did this ...bit messy with the wires as im yet to rerout them and pin them down but you get the idea ...battery with the reg rec above
    [​IMG]

with the fuse block
    [​IMG]
  18. Lostsaffa

Lostsaffa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks impressive mate, did you have much experience previously with electrics or have you just learnt as you've gone?
  19. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    got me a wire diagram and fumbled my way in it ....lots of errors but now its fine even if bit messy looking ....
  20. KustomizingKid

Oddometer:
    Might just be me, dunno. Doesn't change the shit quality of their whole dual sport kit.