Kaiserslautern, Germany!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tx_medic, Apr 9, 2012.

1. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    I am not military, will the German Government take the MSF course for their requirements?

2. sfwo79

sfwo79 euroromper

Oddometer:
    Not likely the MSF will do you any good for your German license. The Germans believe they are better than anybody at training drivers and expect you to go through a course given by a licensed instructor, then pass the written and practical tests.

I can't argue with the fact that they produce better drivers here. This country is far safer for motorcyclists than the USA.

Dave
  3. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    From various discussions, it sounds likes there is a bit of "interpretation" by the Germany government about who needs how much training/instruction. Would it matter or help if I can document my past Professional Motorcycle Roadracing experience? Past Expert racing license, magazines with name and pictures for rookie of the year or class championships wins? Just a thought and trying to make this the least expensive and time consuming. I know I will need to take the test, but the instruction parts is the thorn in my side.
  4. sfwo79

sfwo79 euroromper

Oddometer:
    All I can say is you can try. If you are Military/Gov't/Contractor on status, it's not an issue. But if you are coming as a civilian, you will have to deal with the German burocracy.
    D
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about behind the easy chair? :evil

(sorry - I couldn't resist :wink:)
  6. tx_medic

tx_medic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! Had my bikes delivered yesterday! Hopefully, I'll get to fire them up soon. Got pulled away for work though. I'll let y'all know once I get my motorcycle endorsement. Looking like that could be the hardest part for me... They don't have the class very often and I'm not sure of my availability when they do...
  7. dwdufour

dwdufour Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you already have the M on your driver's license from the states?
  8. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    I do! But they won't let me take the test on post until after I sit through their brief, which is usually scheduled for times I am not available. I'm hoping to make the one in early October.
  9. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    Guess I should post an update here. I've got my license, and my titles have finally all arrived by mail (long story), now all I need is insurance and registration.

Who are my fellow guest residents of Germany finding to be the better insurance providers?
  10. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    I have the bike passing TUV (finally this week). I have passed the Germany Theory test and scheduled for the practical on June 4th. I also need insurance for the bike.
  11. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try these folks:

http://www.mirascon.com/

They were much cheaper than USAA.
  12. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    I didn't think USAA insured motorcycles? They wouldn't even quote me, just pawned me off.
  13. pubetmaster

pubetmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it that complicated for you guys over here to get e license and insurance for Motorcycle? I heard that you need to take severeal classes for many cc types oft bikes, but i thougt it would be not that hard for you.
  14. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    I didn't have to, I already had my USAEUR license and my MSF card, so that's all I needed for 250+ CC's.

My problem is just finding the time to get the logistical stuff done.
  15. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    That's a lie, I did have to take a separate test, too.
  16. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    If you are assigned to Germany under orders with the military, USAA does provide motorcycle coverage. Not cheap though. In the states, they farm it out to Progressive.
  17. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:

In the States the price isn't too bad, over here, much more expensive than other options.
  18. tx_medic

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thanks!
  19. pubetmaster

pubetmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And there's no way to make an Insurance by local agency ?
  20. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    OK, I am a US expat here in Germany. I am not military. i just finished getting my Bike inspected adn converted to be legal in Germany, got insurance, and a plate this week. Here is the update of what i have learned. PM me if you have other questions.

License:

Germany will accept some USA State car licenses, no motorcycle licenses

Becuse I had a motorcycle licnese in the USA, I had to take the theory (written) and practical (Driving) tests in english. I did not have to take classes, but i did have to work through the Fahrschule (Driving school). They required about 350 Euros to register me for the tests, 3 driving times to evaluate that I could drive a bike adn for them to help administer the practical test. I also paid about another 200 Euros to the TUV and the City Goverment to get all of the tests and paperwork.

Theory test was easy if you simply buy the Fahr-lernen software (www.fahren-lernen.de) and complete it. It is a software with all of the test questions (exactly) that could be on the theory test. The practical is more difficult than the USA as you navigate some cones for a bit and dirve for 45 minutes around town with the farhschule (instructor) and TUV test inspector following you in a car. I take the practical June 4th, so I will let you know if I pass.

Insurance. I just set mine up with HCI here in Germany. It is about 250 Euros/ year for full comp and collision on my BMW F800GS. THe most important part of this is that you will wan tot get a letter from the USA insurance carrier regarding your coverage history (how many accidents adn when). You get discounts for each continuous year withour an claim with a max of 10 claim free years.

*** SIde note***Little secret that could help some. Motorcycles adn cars ar the same "class" to German insurance companies. So you can use a car claim letter for the motorcycle years and visa versa. thus if you have more claim free years on a bike than a car, sure the USA bike policy to lower your Germany Car and the USA car policy for the bike. This makes sense as the car costs more and has not max on the number od claim free years.

Bike Inspection

THis is probably better as an individual discussiona s every bike will be different. I will share my expereince if someone has questions.

I hope this helps.

Mike