Loaded destroys a motorbike (1984 Moto Guzzi 1000sp Resto)

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Loadedagain, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    was trying to think of a fitting title for a build thread. couldn't really come up with anything good so there it is. i've been looking for a guzzi for ages. every couple years i bust out the email and pm machine and bother guzzisti throughout the webternet in my dream hunt. in the past it hasn't led much beyond dreams.

i pulled the trigger this time! my about town cruiser bmw left for a new home not too long ago. it made sense to fill the hole with something cool to cruise around town on. i could go out and buy a bike off the shelf... no fun in that! i'm gonna build an old skule guzzi fun machine!

here she is as she sits today-

[​IMG]

i bought the bike about a month ago and that is quite a story in itself! will get to that one later. one advrider gets big hugs and kisses for making the long distance buy totally painless for me. she (you thought that i was queer diddn't you?) even let me and my gang park my bigass rv in her yard for something like 4 days :raabia :clap :freaky thanks darlin' you can make yerself known if you like :deal

oh yes... the bike. this is its rump end. notice the ghastly fairing/windjammer fell off between these two photos. much much more will be falling off soon.

[​IMG]

i wouldn't feel right if i didn't post a couple shots up her skirt... from behind (my favorite)

[​IMG]

and the front for you pervs that like them to see you coming.

[​IMG]

first impression is pretty positive. it runs very well for a bike that has been sitting for a couple years. it has a bit of an exhaust leak and a bit of a messed primary in the right side carb. i could ride it as it sits.... that's not fun. she's getting a facelift! :deal
  2. terisda

terisda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another red/white Spada!! Nice,
    Identical to mine.. why not lash some gear on and do some BIG road trip 1st? ....The old girl is itching for it !
  3. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Put that fairing back on, clean it up and just ride the damn thing. :1drink One of my all time favourite bikes. I still want one.
    lipsee likes this.
  4. neilios

neilios Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the push type bike in the back ground better!!!:rofl
  5. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. Whereabouts

Whereabouts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it's not too late, could I ask you to post a close up of the fairing bracket?

I will be watching this project closely. What do you have in mind?
  7. Jinx

Jinx Dollarable...but lazy

Oddometer:
    Lord protect us, a holy relic has fallen into the hands of a heathen from the north :patch :pope :patch

Cool bike, mate, one of my favorites....keep it coming :lurk

PS - That fairing is probably one of the few that was actually developed in a wind tunnel as opposed to on a bar napkin :D

Moto Guzzi's Late, Lamented Wind Tunnel :cry

[​IMG]

8. notarex

notarex Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer:
    Oh god I can't watch this :cry
  9. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    that 'ghastly fairing' was BY FAR the best fairing i've ever had on a bike.

aside from pipes and seat, it looks bone stock to me.

i'm gonna unsubscribe from this thread, as i can't bare to see what other 'improvements' will be done to this perfectly designed motorcycle.
  10. Jinx

Jinx Dollarable...but lazy

Oddometer:
    Stick around...Loaded is the real deal, and no dunce in the shop

...you may even be surprised :deal
  11. 240sx4u

240sx4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike is definitely ugly, lets see what the guy has in store. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder......
  12. Deleted3531

Deleted3531 Guest

I have always loved the round-finned cylinders of the older Guzzis. The jugs
    just look "right." And I think stripping it down to a "bare-bones" bike is a good
    idea. People seem to respond positively to "antique-looking" bikes. I've have
    many more people walk over to talk to me about my Ural now that I stripped
    the fairing, and fancy seat off it. (practically every time I stop to fill up the tank,
    now that I think of it).

Of course, if you don't like being nice to people you don't know and have never met,
    then this might not be such a great idea. For me, it makes me feel less isolated.

Good luck! :thumb
  13. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Whatever you take off, don't sell the parts. :D
  14. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a stunning bike as is (far prettier than the ever ghastly R100RS), but it'll be all the better in loaded's hands. :nod

:lurk
  15. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know you, but your irreverent tone in proximity to a favourite old Guzzi frightens me.

And I suspect you like it that way.

:uhoh
  16. Rathlindri

Rathlindri Guinness fan

Oddometer:
    I fear Lornce that you're right...... if it ain't broke...don't fix it!! :cry
  17. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    the general masses are annoyed and i only posted the thread last night. keep it stock. ride it like guido built it... quite simply that's not why i bought the bike. i bought it to strip and build as a custom. if this were a rare bike i may not be taking this approach. it is not. so please relax, read, enjoy, be angry, give advice, but don't get pissy because i'm modifying a bike to have some fun. that's why we ride bikes in the first place.
    LemonFarmCycles likes this.
  18. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    thanks mate. did a little build thread on it here - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561561 that was a two evening project making little bits and pieces. it turned out to be a load of fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    not a problem at all... let me know if you'd like anything specific. here are a couple of the general area and inner fairing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    damn near brought a tear to mine eye. i'd better not make you a liar, eh? :deal hope all is well out in your neck of the woods.