Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR and Shadow of the Rockies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Vinnie the Snake, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "Unfinished Business Tour - 2010" has begun.

The 2010 - Vinnie the Snake Chase Vehicle Departing For Baker, Neveda 29-Aug-10
    [​IMG]

As with all Adventures there is a beginning, the journey and an end.

However, at times there is just some Unfinished Business that has to be delt with. That time has come for Vinnie the Snake, JJGresh and friends.
  2. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Our Vintage Gang started in 2007 to ride our old vintage 2-strokes from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma to Salida, Colorado on the Road Less Traveled.

Then GasPipe and BigDogAdventures thru their outstanding ride reports introduced me to the Trans America Trail and Beyond. Meaning, get your ass off the couch, back on the a bike and start enjoying the riding I did before life got in the way. Once again, Thanks guys for a gift that will never be forgotten.

BigDog showing his skills on a Vintage Yamaha. He was on his KTM990 but the guys felt he was old enough to qualifiy as Vintage himself.
    [​IMG]

Back to the story. Once we found the TAT got the maps, one thing lead to another. Hell, No need to ride the TAT, may as well just ride across North America on the Vintage Two Stroke I grew up on. What better true Adventure Motorcycle than my 1976 Yamaha DT400C Enduro 2-Stroke.

The Orginal Vintage TAT Gang
    [​IMG]

The 2007 - Vintage Ride was from Broken Arrow, Ok to Monticello, UT
    [​IMG]

The 2008 - Vintage Ride was from Monticello, UT to Port Orford, Or.
    [​IMG]

The 2009 - Vintage Ride was from Kitty Hawk, NC to Broken Arrow.
    [​IMG]

My 1976 DT400C Yamaha Mountain Bike - Kitty Hawk, NC.
    [​IMG]

Across the United States we worked. Burned up motors, flat tires, rain, snow, rescue. To early in the Rockies, almost to late on the Eastern Section. One hurdle after another, one schedule vacation after another and each mile with a story to remember and some to tell.

The Mile-O-Mud in Oklahoma - 4 hours 1 mile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A dozen or so top ends and burned up motors for various riders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monticello, Utah
    [​IMG]

Utah and all its splender.
    [​IMG]

Finally the Pacific Ocean. Some made it, I did not.

2008 - Vintage Ride substancially kicked my ass North of Battle Mountain, NV. Broken Collar Bone, major overhaul of the shoulder and an oil change in my DT400, now its time to attempt to complete the TAT this year.

Hence, the need for the Unfinished Business Tour - 2010
  3. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Now I understand that many Inmates travel all over the world on mopeds to modern steeds and as we all know, the stories they tell, pictures they post and dreams they live help all of us thru the daily grind of life. Infact the daily grind still dictates my time available for Adventure Riding as well as my mates.

January, 2010. Vinnie the Snake decided that it is time to take care of his Unfinished Business. Finish the TAT from Baker, Nev to Port Orford, Or. While I am at it, and if the DT400C Mountain Bike holds up, go ahead and ride a modified route of known and unknown trails from Canada to Mexico. Last goal of the Unfinished Business, leave work behind and see the Road Less Traveled at an undictated pace.

Lesson Learned #1 - BidDogAdventures never ride with a schedule.

Ok, I listened to my friend, I have taken a leave of absence and the next xxx weeks is for me to finish my Unfinished Business without a schedule.

Lesson Learned #2 - BigDogAdventures, and hundreds of Inmates on AdvRider.com. Less is more.

Ok, riding a 2 stroke that is Vintage at best on the trail. Travel lite, be mobile and enjoy. Done.

Lesson Learned #3 - Vinnie the Snake if having a chase vehicule available, riding a Vintage Bike that could tire at any moment, then spare parts and backup bikes will allow maximum trial time without interupton. Again its about the ride.

Ok, with the blessing and support of Boss. Chase Vehicle #2 shall be procured.

Lesson Learned #4 - Vinnie the Snake - Dont matter what bike you riding. As long as one has ones ass in the saddle of an adventure bike then adventure should not be contained.

So be it. No schedule, only a couple destinations, and 10000 miles of Unfinished Business lies ahead.
  4. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Once the decision was made, Chase Vehicle was my first task at hand. Small, agile, kinda cool (old farts like me need cool too) and user friendly.

Weapon of Choice - 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Into the shop for modifications.
    [​IMG]

New front bumper and winch assy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished Front Assy Modifications
    [​IMG]

Then to the Rear, pursuant some road testing need a little support on the back side.
    [​IMG]

The Unfinished Business Tour - 2010 Chase Vehicule
    [​IMG]
  5. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Long winter days and nights allowed for a new trailer to be built. My old one is now 30 plus years, gave great service but need a mate for the FJ.

So Fabrication started here in the Sickle Shed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New trailer, LineX Coated, Alumunium decked and a set of trailer brakes. All ready for action.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. imaybail

imaybail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in :lurk
  7. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Unfinished Business Tour - 2010

Chase Truck left today with my 2008 WR250R as a primary back up and the 1976 Yamaha DT400C Mountain Bike. Destination Baker, Nv.

Chase Truck Driver for this ride is Wild Man Robert. Retired Army, hard as stone and a great asset to helping accomplish the upcoming effort.
    [​IMG]

Joe Gresh, my long time riding buddy from the net, boat mechanic and writer for Motorcyclist Magazine will be riding his KLR250. Joe just got back this week from Russia, riding the Road of Bones for Suzuki and Motorcyclist. I hope he is tired so he is not so pushy this trip and is leaving Godzilla his 1971 RT1 360 Yamaha at home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to get the old Mountain Bike down the TAT to the Pacific Ocean and then from Canada to Mexico.
    [​IMG]

Along the way making and sharing one more set of Rocking Chair Memories.
    [​IMG]

Kick Stands up 01-Sep-10 departing Broken Arrow, Still not sure which bike I will be riding to Neveda but at this present time the XR650L is packed and ready. My KTM990 is on standby just in case.

We have a couple destinations that need to be ridden on the way out to bake so to start taking care of Unfinished Business.

Kick Stands Up 06-Sep-10 in Baker, Nv heading down the TAT to Port Orford, Or.

From that point a day by day adventure down the next Trail and the Road Less Traveled to Mexico via Canadian Border.

I have no idea where this Ride Report will go, we are meeting Vintage Rider Gang Members along the way, we hope Inmates join up and ride along, and then we may be loaners just out for a little outback offroad ride.

As always, with the Chase Vehicle out and about, assistance is available, hopefully never needed and we will do all we can to help any Inmate or Rider at anytime throughout our journey. :deal

Hope y'all enjoy the upcoming weeks ahead of the Unfinished Business Tour - 2010, I know I will.
  8. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Chase Truck just checked in and is in Santa Rosa, NM. All is good, and heading North West tomorrow. Goal, never to see another 4 lane highway for the next month.:D

Joe is departing the Love Shack:evil in Flordia (his wife named it he says) and heading West to Greystroke (aka, Boss's Plywood Palace) for Tuesday Arrival.

Vinnie is working tomorrow to finish bids, finalize bike selection for the ride to Baker and get loaded. Anyone want to mow my yard?:huh

The ride is slowly coming together by the minute.:freaky :freaky
  9. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    GO VANCE!!!!

You've got all your "ducks in a row", all your priorities set, and backups for your backups...

Now, relax, and enjoy the journey. :thumb

Q~
  10. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Q, Dude, thanks man, just a couple more hours of bad busy work and then in the morning start focusing on the ride.

Chase Vehicle is in Farmington, NM already with Robert enjoying a few things on his bucket list.

Hope to get the real ride report started here in the next few days.
  11. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    You should put a tracking device on you Chase Vehicle so you can find it... and know where it's been.

I know if I were given a new FJ I'd be taking it to a few interesting places that were on the "No Go" list.

Like that bar in Mexico with the donkey! :lol3

q~
  12. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good Vinnie!!!!!:clap :clap

If you need anything in AZ let me know!

Have a GREAT ride!!!!

Scott
  13. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Thanks Scott, nice to know where support might be.

Joe should be here later today, couple final tasks on the work list and hope to be heading West tomorrow as planned.
  14. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waiting and watching . . . :lurk
  15. gun 4 hire

gun 4 hire FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I'll be following you all from the Florida Keys.....GO GO GO

Joe...To make it to the start of this trip with what you just went thru in Russia, you are truly an inspiration :freaky

I Hope to meet up with you all somewhere on your journey from Canada to Mex. I have an xr600r ready to go in Denver...just need the time off !

:lurk

Signed up and ready
  16. Boss of VTS

Boss of VTS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He mowed the lawn at 1:30 this morning........
  17. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Time is running out:huh and Greystroke had to be is shape before departure:deal .
  18. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    SO, Joe has arrived at Greystroke. Like always ready to ride. Wore out tires, 8000 mile chain, hasnt started the bike in 3 months. Yep, thats Joe, he is ready.

Go goes straight to work to get the KLR250 ready for the next 10000 miles:huh [​IMG]

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 Joe and the Lovefest with the Rear Tire:rofl :rofl :rofl
    [​IMG]

Yea, I watching the show, I think I'm Ready to go. Red Pig Packed and Loaded for departure.
    [​IMG]
  19. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    May be a few days before I get to post again, Thanks Boss!!!!!
  20. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:

:lol3

:wave HI Boss........

Vinnie............... Give' r Dude....:pynd

This will be an epic story.

Have a Great Trip.