Well That is a great introduction to BMWs....

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Meter Man, May 11, 2013.

1. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought a new to me 2008 GS1200 today from a Dealer that I trust and have good experiences with in the past.

On my virgin run I discover oil all over my right boot, leg and side of the bike....

I am none too happy, we'll see what they say Monday morning. At this point I don't want the bike anymore even if they repair it. :cry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    At first I was thinking donut gasket improperly installed:

[​IMG]

But the ruined paint on the valve cover smacks of a bad repaint of the valve cover, or chemical contamination.

The damaged stick coil and oil coated rubber are likely not related, but need replacing.

Let them have a look and explain the situation before you condemn the bike alltogether. It might end up being no big deal.

Jim :brow
  3. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rubber piece in the 3rd picture is part of the cylinder head guard, hence why I didn't see the damage when inspecting the bike at the dealership.

I did enjoy the 70 miles I did today until I discovered the problem, however I have the kind of personality wherein I will think about this every time I get on the bike, even if the dealership fixes it up.

At this point I'm going to ask them to refund me and be on my way.

At least it wasn't the final drive.......:lol3
  4. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I'm sure someone else will enjoy it then.....
  5. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim, I'd say you are right. Gasket improperly installed or missing completely. The stick coil was bathed in hot oil and also soaked the rubber protecter causing heat transfer and the melting. Simple fix though. New valve cover, stick coil and a few other parts and she's good to go.

08's are a good year and very easy to service yourself. Then something like this should never happen again.:deal
  6. mariowink

mariowink Under Doc

Oddometer:
    I agree about the inner gasket on the valve cover. Easy fix. It's a great bike. Fix it and enjoy it.
  7. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the diagnosis Jim!
  8. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    I bought an older GS b/c I wanted to run into small issues like this for the experience. I have a buddy who has the same outlook on life as you so I have a great deal of experience with your attitude. A GS is NOT for you so you are making the right choice. :wink:
  9. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I expect things to go wrong on the shit box motorcycles I've owned in the past, the reason I bought a lightly used (9,000 mile) late model GS was to avoid all the picky little stuff that happens on motorcycles as the mileage goes up.

But you are right, the GS is not for me if this kind of stuff happens frequently.
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I could understand if it was a Ural, the "clone" as it were, but you lay out that kind of bread, you would like to think you are buying quality, reliability, an assurance of "ride and not have to work on the bike" much.

A nice Vee Strom maybe in your future. Or a Super Tenere.

Ride and no worries.
  11. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    It doesn't happen any more frequently on a GS than any other BMW model. Ya, I too would be bummed about it....it certainly probably took the excitement out of the first ride I' m sure. But it is an easy fix, and an easy mistake to make. At least you know that your dealer was in there making adjustments before you bought it. And they should have caught it on the test ride. But you said you like the dealer and trust them...I suspect they will treat you right.
  12. mattjw916

mattjw916 never wears lip balm

Oddometer:
    OP needs a tissue or maybe some cheese...

Seriously, fix it properly and move on. Buying a used bike is always buying somebody else's problems. Buying a new bike is just buying a heretofore unknown set of problems to be determined at a later date.
  13. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    If this sort of minor problem - in a used bike, especially - is having us talk you off the ledge, you probably don't want a BMW. Or a bunch of other bikes, for that matter. A DL650 would be my suggestion.

- Mark
  14. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Yeah, let's not get too excited. It's not hard to put that valve cover on wrong and pinch that little gasket. It's not difficult but one needs to be careful. I think Jim's video (it's been a while since I've seen it-- like, years) says to install the valve cover with the donut on it in one move and if you think you've slid it on cocked to one side and the rubber donut has been misplaced a little, take it back it all back off and start again or it will leak. Though not much, usually.

This isn't a SOS moment and certainly no reason to tie that albatross of a Vee Strom around your neck.
  15. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    The issue is that the last person that serviced the bike did not alighn the donut seal up properly when replacing the valve cover, or left it off completely.

So basically you are blaming the bike for a mistake that the dealer most likely made.

I just wonder if you will return the bike and then buy another from the same dealer, if so it demonstrates a severe lack of logic in your decision making process.
  16. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Meter, from all appearances i think you have WeeStrom in your genes. Target demographic, say :lol3

Go check out this circle-jerk: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885705 and be sure and post your $6 valve cover tunnel gasket failure experience there. It will be yet another data point for folks to come to their senses and embrace StromAlmighty and stay away from anything related to fraudulent, cultish, arrogant, etc etc etc BMW :thumb
  17. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am originally from Montana and now live in a place where there are no BMW dealer close by so I understand how one can feel anxiety about such bikes. I had a Victory before this and the dealer network is smaller than BMW . The bike was not very good either. bought my 01 GS 3 years ago and was warned about all the maintenance it would require. Since then, I have changed my oil every 6K miles, have put 40K on the bike, ridden to Montana 3 times, Seattle, Denver, St Louis, Dallas, San Diego every week, all the way to Honduras and back, through rain, mud, hurricanes, and 122 degree temps. The biggest failure on any of the trips was a tail light bulb. I did have to have the ABS rebuilt and that cost me $250. This bike has been the easiest to maintain, and most cost effective bike I have ever owned.

Yesterday I actually had some professional service done on the bike at Dave Campbell's shop. He said the mechanic that rode the bike said it runs good but feels like it has been ridden hard. It has. However, I am not sure what is making it feel that way other than needing new tires right now and getting the shocks dialed in (I just installed Jacugars). GS's are great bikes that can take a lot of abuse. It's unfortunate you have one needing attention at the beginning of a purchase. Get it fixed and ride it. Don't listen to anyone that tells you how much work it is going to need. They do not know what they are talking about. Their Harley's need more and don't log the miles you will.
  18. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.

Remind me to completely swallow my hot tea before reading your posts. :lol3
  19. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow, tough crowd.

To be clear the cost of repair is going to be about $140 for the stick coil, $320 for the cylinder head cover, whatever the wire to the plug costs, it is a bit melty as well and the cost of the rubber insert on the cylinder head guard.

I imagine it will be somewhere between $460 and $600 to get it all sorted (I don't expect to pay for it), but it is off-putting that a very simple servicing mistake can result in that kind of repair bill.

But like I said, the dealership has a good rep, I went to high school with the tech who likely fucked it up (nice guy and good mechanic) and know 1/2 a dozen other employees who work there. I expect they will take care of me but this will be my 2nd poor experience with European machinery (the first was a Rotax powered boat),

No Vstrom for me. I'd rather eat glass.:lol3 The GS is a beautiful bike and a very nice ride. Maybe I will feel different Monday morning and just want them to repair it, but as of now I pretty bummed.
  20. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    No, get rid of it now. It's a POS and it just showed you what life as an owner will be like forever. Cut your losses.