Are scooters a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Burtonridr, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to get my wife into motorcycles for a long time, and after reading a post the other night about how they started with a scooter and now have 2 scooters and 2 decent motorcycles. It got me thinking. :beer
  2. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scooter riders don't wave back.
  3. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    neither do squids :dunno
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're afraid to take a hand off the bar with those itty bitty wheels. :1drink
  5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

What about the squids?
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It wasn't for my Mom. My dad bought my mom a Suzuki FA-50 when I was in high school. My brother and I tweaked it a bit. My dad was pissed when he sold it 2 years later with less than 200 miles (all but about 10 but on by my brother, sister and I.)

My brother in law bought a couple. He got pulled over and ticketed for riding without a license and quit riding it. My sister in law rides hers all over the place. I asked her if she wanted to try my Uly and she lit up, looked at it and realized that it was probably too tall.

Bonnie wants to try a scooter. If the right Zuma or Rukus comes along, we might try it as an experiment.

Tom B
  8. strongmendieyoung

strongmendieyoung KLR Lover

Oddometer:
    i had never ridden a motorcycle in my life until i was 31. i bought a scooter in july 2008, rode it until march 2009 and put 6000 miles on it. bought a klr in march 2009, had 17000 miles on it by november, and haven't ridden much since then due to a finger injury on my clutch hand, and continuously bad weather this winter.
  9. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

Look for one with big wheels. I drove over the Cascades a few years ago and was impressed by the number of Maxi-scooters I saw out touring.
  10. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    I had a TW200 for awhile, she is scared of motorcycles period :bluduh

But she thinks scooters are "cute", and the people in movies ride them so she is naturally attracted to them :lol3

I've been handed a lemon...
  11. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got just the opposite problem of a "Gateway drug"
    The high of the full size bikes has lost it's buzz.

I'm not riding my big bores as much as the scooters now.

In town they are so much fun. The bikes seem cumbersome
    in traffic. The scooters are smooth, quiet and I'm always smiling
    while riding one.

I have a Vespa 150, two Honda Reflexes and a Silverwing.
    The Reflexes get the most saddle time.:D

[​IMG]
  12. Bandit240

Bandit240 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They were for me. Is started out on a 1986 Honda Elite 150, moved up to a Helix and then a Yamaha XT600. Had a GT185 inbetween the Elite and Helix.
  13. Bandit240

Bandit240 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey now, some do. I ride a scooter, and wave back. Alot of the time if i wave first, the others won't wave back.
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Banned

Oddometer:
    I completely agree. I have a Triumph Tiger for long rides/tours, a KTM LC4 for dual sporting, but my fixed up beater Honda Elite 250 gets used daily during the summer.

Stupid giggle fest to ride. Say what you want about small tires but the darn thing is a blast, even with my fat ass on it. It is painted in bedliner black, has a Givi clone top box and it is like I am invisible. Yes, I know that is a bad thing for safety, but I can ride like a total squid and get away with it because no one pays it any attention, even the cops.

I get better than 50mpg, it costs me $4.20 a month to insure, and I have about $350 into it total. Our monthly gas budget is pocket change in the summer.
  15. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Vespa was my gateway. I waved back and I INITIATED the wave. Moved up to a "real" motorcycle when I thought I looked a bit foolish ATGATT on it, and I was afraid a pothole would swallow the 10" wheel.
  16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    Ask soboy.
  17. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its fun to pull up next to a bunch of squids or harley riders trying to be outlaws on my Madass 125 and just act cool and nod at them. You get the dirtiest looks. Why won't they be my friend?
  18. Wylie

Wylie Gone fishing

Oddometer:
    Damn that's it! A Helix 250 uncorked! Those things could terrorize and torment the crap out of the sport bikes back in the day. That's what a 5 foot 1 inch tall woman could ride, no sweat. Not much suspension but it would be a good starter. They make tiny little knobs for those things?:rofl

Ah yes, the seed to plant!
  19. ColorItBlue

ColorItBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My return to 2-wheel moto transport was in April, 2008 with a new Yamaha Vino 125 scooter. Two months later I bought a new Versys. Before that summer was out I had a new BMW R1200R in the garage. Yes, they are absolutely a gateway drug and now I'm up at all hours reading stuff on ADV...
  20. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    I'd give it a try!

A good friend of us raced and collected motorcycles for years. His wife never showed any interest - till he got her a an Aprilia scooter 5 years ago... now she has a dual sport and does pretty good.