Hello gents. How does this route look?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Limes, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Limes

Limes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any input appreciated. Its gonna be myself and a friend, two late 20's rugby players from America. We are looking at buying bandits or vstroms or similar. we have 35 days starting Dec. 12 cant wait to get there!

South Island First starting in Chch
    http://goo.gl/maps/XdXOJ

Then up to the North Island for NYE and the rest of the trip
    http://goo.gl/maps/c4Qn5

This is basically just a guideline for us and we will make variations as we go Im sure. 3000 miles in a month sounds like a pretty manageable ride.

Cheers!
  2. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

Rugby?? never heard of it.

Looks good, but at Greymouth (F) I would go along the Coast road through Punakaiki then through the Buller Gorge, then to Reefton and on to Lewis Pass etc.

Coast road and Buller Gorge are top rides and you would only have to add maybe 3 hours to the route.
  3. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Those further south may correct me but from memory I do believe Dunedin to Christchurch is particularly boring long your route.

Don't miss out Nelson, Golden bay & make sure you get a pie at the Te anau bakery.

Ya big boof heads

the taranaki hard core crew could direct you along the forgotten highway - awesome place & buy a T shirt from the Whangamomona pub
  4. sidecarxer

sidecarxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First up, I reckon any route in NZ is a good one.:eek1
    Be prepared for plenty of this:freaky
    Don't miss the Coromandel Peninsular:clap
    And there is the Motu rd. It's on the east coast near Gisborne and is/was used as a stage on the Rally NZ many times. Colin McRae held the best time I'm told, something like under 45mins on a road that takes most real folk over 2hrs.
  5. TransalperNZ

TransalperNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah but they get to go on the road when it's closed so no oncoming traffic and no speed limits. Real folk don't.
  6. Limes

Limes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, great stuff so far. :nod
  7. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Masterton tp Waipukurau check out route 52. Out of Auckland take H/wy 16. Put 12 on your route up through the Waipoua Forest. Take the ferry from Rawene then hook back onto 1 and up to Kaitaia. Check the tides and either ride up or down the beach for the leg to Cape Reinga.
    Put 10 in as a part of your loop.
    Have fun. 3000 ks in a month is slow going :huh Depending on what other activities you want to enjoy 300ks a day in NZ is a ruurly relaxed tour :clap
  8. Limes

Limes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im sure we will have a number of Zero days when we are drinking, buying & selling our bikes, drinking, we are going to La De Da for 3 days over NYE, drinking, Etc. :freaky

No, but seriously we plan on doing some hiking and exploring and ? as well as riding. on the lookout for cliff diving spots and such.
  9. sidecarxer

Oddometer:
    Yep, realise that but still on MY bucket list.
  10. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Good advice above re taking the inland route Chch- Queenstown, route 52, the Motu & the Coromandel. Have fun!

Your route comes right past my place east of Rotorua, so keep us posted as to your travels & call in on the way for a coffee/beer/bbq :1drink

Cheers
    Clint
  11. iny46

iny46 Adventurer

Oddometer:

We are riding SH 43 an 22.Jan. 2014 from Whakapapa Village to New Plymouth on two DR 650.

http://goo.gl/maps/PdpDg

Some days before gonna visit ClintNZ :-)

Servus Andreas
  12. sidecarxer

Oddometer:
    Not much East of Rotorua ( from memory...only gorse and teatree bush)
    Being from Rerewhakaaitu the only thing east was Ureweras and that was real bush:rofl