Tiger XC accessories / farkles thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Xcountry-Rider, Nov 4, 2012.

1. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap that's intense! How did your tire look when you got home??

Also, another question for you guys about tubeless, if you do get a flat in a tubeless, what's the long term fix for a flat? I know for a fact the plugs don't work too well for long periods of times, so what do you guys use after your home to fix a whole??
  2. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    The best and most permanent fix is to Vulcanize a patch to the inside of the tyre.
    However, I've known a plug to last several thousand miles.
  3. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Here's the way I look at the prospect of a tubeless 21" front.

I KNOW just how easy it is to break a bead and repair a tube on this front wheel. Because of this I can take a leap and imagine that it wouldn't take much force to unseat the tire from the rim in a situation where the front deflates.

Having ridden bikes after flatting front or back, I much prefer a flat on the rear for maintaining control, but as long as the tire stays on the rim there is still some control left on the front for straight-line rolling to a stop. Getting around a curve can be sketchy, but I have accomplished it a time or two.

If there is no safety bead, and, there is no tube inside to help prevent the beads falling into the well where the spoke nipples are, I just imagine that it would take very little random force to get one or both beads off the wheel entirely.

This is why I won't be running tubeless up front, and, this means I won't be running without a tube, though I may very well be running a tire labeled "tubeless" it will have a tube in it.
  4. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    +1

I too have ridden plugged tires for the remaining life of the tire countless times. Often for several thousand miles.

Rarely have I had any problems with a plugged tire, beyond an occasion or two of having to double-plug a puncture to get the leak stopped. This was more about old, dried out plugs not sealing, or, me not twisting it well enough before pulling the tool.
  5. FatBob

FatBob Don't want a pickle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think on my next tire change I will put the 3M tape on the front rim also. I WILL still run the tube though, the thought is in case of a simple puncture the tire will deflate slower giving more time to come to safe stop.

+1 on running plugged tires for hundreds or thousands of miles before removing for a proper repair. I've had flats on cross country trips and ran with plugs until I got home.
  6. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    That idea might hold air, so to speak :D, if the inside nut on the tube's valve stem were replaced with an o-ring to seal the one remaining hole for air to escape from.

With that in mind I might give taping the front and running a tube further consideration.

The problem is when, as the front Shinko is only about half worn and I'm putting on the third rear since installing it. And, I'm a heavy front brake user. What's up with this tire?
  7. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    I know, I put like 9K miles on my FB front and it still looks like there's 30-40% tread left. And I rode the shit out of it. Amazing.
  8. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am afraid it is not so according to absolutely all sources I found. The profile and safety beads on tubeless rim are not to hold air but to stop sidewall of tyre sliding towards middle of rim thus letting air out.
    Quote from Dunlop was to answer question about possibility to run tubeless with tube, not part of my question.

Folks, please read my question carefully :wink:

What difference it makes safety-wise and any other reason-wise to run tubeless tire without tube on tube type rim vs. running tubeless tire with tube on tube type rim? And why?

Here is information I found so far:
    1. Tubeless rim have safety bead that stops sidewall of tire sliding towards middle of rim when pressure is lower than normal and you hitting something with tire etc.
    2. In terms of sealing air tubeless rim vs. contemporary tube-type rim makes no difference. Safety beads are designed for different reason.
    3. Some older type of tube type rims have different profiles, which do not really keep tire tight to seal, but this is not the case for 99% of contemporary tube type rim profiles as essentially only difference is safety beads.

I am playing devil's advocate here, I know. I can add further confusion by adding that 6 of my friends running self-sealed tube type 21" rim with tubeless tires without any issues for about 3-4 years now. But not on Tigers to be clear. Mostly KTMs.
  9. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, you got exactly what I was asking.
    Here is next question. How punctured tube will stop tire from falling into middle of rim? Because this is what we are doing now. We all running allegedly "safe" setup where all that holds tire from "falling in" is inflated tube. Deflated tube does not stop anything at all. Do not ask how I know :(

Just to clarify. I did experiment by trying to move inflated tire sidewall off side of tube type rim. I jumped on it, hit it with hammer, even used bead breaker and all I achieved was whole nothing - tubeless tire did not even budge.
    Tube type tire thou seem to have much softer sidewall and couple of mm larger inside diameter it seems and I was able to push it off a bit.

BTW I also had idea that you can actually put DYI "safety bead" rim on top of DYI sealed central well to imitate tubeless type rim. It can be made of basically anything and does not need to be attached to rim that hard - just to stop it rolling on rim. Left-right will be kept in place by tire itself. On attached sketch - yellow is sealed central well with spokes, red is DIY "safety bead".

Attached Files:

• rim.jpg
      rim.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
  10. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyway, I think I should be moving that to technical part of forum. Sorry about sidetracking.
    I will open tread there and copy my last 2 posts there.
    Just for reference - I guess Tiger uses WM type from rim and MT type rear rim. Here is Excel version of both rims profiles. As you can see they are not really that different - very slight angle of shoulders mainly to ease removal of tire and to ease seating it on rim while being inflated and safety bead bead is main difference.

http://www.excel-rim.com/rims.htm

And here is interesting read

http://davestestsandarticles.weebly...4845046/which_bike_may_1980_rim_confusion.pdf
  11. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:

Kind of makes it worth all the sweat and busted knuckles getting them on. I think I will go back to the K60 on my next tire change for this very reason. The thought of having to change that rear tire in the middle of nowhere gives me nightmares.
  12. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Hence the reason some people want to seal the rear rim. And the reason I bought a roadie rear wheel. It's then "plug and play".
  13. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    HHm a lot of talk about tubeless, I thought a tube would be better thats part of the reason I didn't get a v-strom..

I would think tubeless would be a bigger problem if you have a problem in the middle of nowhere? no?

I can the chance are smaller but atleast you can fix a tube.
  14. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I've got the bloody knuckles and unpleasant flashbacks from doing exactly that.
    [​IMG]
    You're welcome to this one for free.:deal Less than 1k miles, but looks like 5k due to being ridden flat for 62 miles. I even removed the staple and that traction robbing center strip for you.:evil
  15. browneye

Oddometer:
    Any adventure rider worth their salt has a tube along for emergency repairs, TT or tubeless.

A tubeless with a small hole can be plugged and aired up very quickly without removing the wheel(s), breaking a bead, or removing a tube. Many see this as a great advantage and highly convenient.

If a rim bead gets bent or the side of the tire gashed a tubeless likely won't hold air so a tube is a way to get back to civilization.

All of this gets way over-thunk. I've never had a flat in the field - and just one tubeless on the road, in tens of thousands of miles over the past forty-plus years. Knock on wood. :evil
  16. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Now you've done it!:rofl 2014 was a record breaking year for me in terms of flats, both motorcycle and bicycle.:cry More flats happened last summer/fall than in the past 4 years combined.:lol3 I hope this year is different.:freaky
  17. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This makes me want to carry a tube now..:D

Thats a good point about plugging a tire never though if it on a bike..

Never had a flat.:huh damm buddy go play the lottery..:lol3
  18. browneye

Oddometer:
    Ha...yeah, had three or four on the cars and that's never happened before either. I'll usually spot them before they go flat, run them down to the tire store to get patched/plugged. The last time I just shoved one of those rope-thingies I carry for emergencies and said F-it. Traded the car off a few weeks later.

The tire stores are not removing and patching from the inside any more either. Some kind of glued plug thing. BS.
  19. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I big bike like this might be a good candidate for a foam insert..
  20. browneye

Oddometer:

Bib mousse...and naw, those are for dirtbikes. :1drink