F800GS with Wolfman

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Bury_Dave, May 22, 2012.

1. albany23

albany23 Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,
    First of all, nice bike!:) I see you went 'all off' (off-road,that is!), considering the TKC's.

I am all in on the whole soft luggage idea, and to add to your pro's, i can also mention the fact that hard panniers are more dangerous in a crash, as they are one more thing your leg can be trapped under. Another strong selling point is the pricetag itself. A decent set of panniers can set you bacj as far as 1000 Euro, if you go OEM or Touratech.
    Wolfman's seem like great build quality, simple enduro oriented design , not to mention the good instructional videos they provide.
    One question: i reside in Romania, and i can only get these via AdvSpec. Is that where you got them? Cause i didn't see the D rings on their page. I have a custom rack, and i need the rings also if i go in that direction.
    My bike is also a bumble-bee, but i'm afraid ill go for the black version. Too much yellow...:))) Thanks for the great pics and write-up!
    Ride true,
    Mihai
  2. Bury_Dave

Bury_Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Mihai, and thank you for the kind words :-)

I bought the panniers from a member of the UKGSer.com forum. He bought them and then decided he wanted black so i got these brand new for the same sale price he bought them for from Adv-Spec - £135. The rack came from Adv-Spec directly. I think it was £186 plus postage. If you tell them it is for the Wolfman, they include the straps. And you are quite correct in your observations as to the quality of the panniers and rack - as well as the cost being hugely less than a hard case solution by any maker.

The crash advantage I think you are correct about but didn't mention it as I know there is a difference of opinion amongst some about that and didn't want to make that the focal point of the post with people simply posting that I was wrong about that. I KNOW I am right about everything else but haven't had an off with a hard and soft pannier system to make a proper conclusion (Thank God !)

@Maxcceleration ------ the straps are nearly 12" long and not your normal soft , fluffy velcro and it sticks to itself over the full length that they wrap around themselves so they ain't coming off anytime soon !! The thicker, industrial type velcro is also unlikely to get clogged with mud like the normal stuff you get on clothing etc. If you were really worried, you could run a tie-wrap around it and through the D-ring once installed (or even some electrical tape) but I've never felt it was necessary myself.

Cheers all,
    Dave :wave
  3. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Nice Dave,
    I have some commercial style velcro on another bike which works quite well but does give and needs tightening along the course of a trip.
    I'm glad its working for you.
  4. Bury_Dave

Bury_Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Max, this stuff isn't 'velcro' like with the fluffy and coarse pieces. This feels the same both sides but it grips on itself like a limpet. It really does have to be seen to be believed.

As with many things in life, friction is what it's all about ! :evil

Cheers,
    Dave
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    +1 to what Dave says, Max. These velcro straps are more solid than the attachment points on the bags themselves. If anything were to go in a good biff, the bags would rip before the velcro straps. I have no doubt about that.
  6. Westy99

Westy99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are those straps a Wolfman accessory or who make them?
  7. albany23

albany23 Aficionado

Oddometer:
    @Dave:
    Someine from Wolfman should contact you and send free stickers or smth, because that is great marketing!:)) Seriously, i am sold. One question: will the Drings work on any type of rack? Mine is local made(far better than many other bug names, as far as welds and material quality), but ill measure the loops tomorrow and see if it can accomodate the bags. I'm
    Afraid the bag's width might be too small for these. We'll see.
    All the best,
    Mihai [​IMG][​IMG]
    Btw, these are Konvoi boxes and racks, local shop.

" 'cause tramps like us,
    Baby, we were born to run. "
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    They're made and sold by Wolfman. You can see their video about mounting them and confirm how bombproof they are here:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Video/SaddleToNonWolfRackV.html

And Mihai, there's a bit in the video about measuring your racks to make sure they fit the bags.
  9. Ol'NumNuts

Ol'NumNuts A Bloke and his Akita- Flynn

Oddometer:
    @Dave @albany

+1 on that with all the marketing and advertising hype and crap we get bombarded with- I just really want to hear what real guys have done with the gear in the real world and everyone who has contributed has shared that, in spades.

:clap :clap :clap

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. Bury_Dave

Bury_Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not connected with Wolfman or SW Motech in any way whatsoever but if anyone here is, and would like to follow up Mihai's EXCELLENT suggestion, it would be much appreciated. Especially a discount voucher for an expedition roll top bag !! Nudge, nudge !!

I didn't try to act as a salesman but wanted to share my experiences of an excellent, alternative, set of panniers.

Thanks to those other contributors who have backed me up :-)

@ Mihai, if you call or email these people http://www.twowheeltrekkers.co.uk/contact.html they are a lovely, friendly and knowledgeable couple who can advise you (or anyone else for that matter !) on what syatems are compatible with which bikes etc and they carry far more kit than their website might currently suggest - including SW Motech racks and Wolfman Expedition kit. And they ship worldwide. Again, no connection other than to recommend good people to good people.

Dave
  11. Bury_Dave

Bury_Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike with panniers at 6 months old ..........

Don't know what it is about my photography, but these look like new but are most certainly not like new ! The yellows aren't accurately represented and the panniers are matt yellow and not as shiny as they look here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No need to quote these photos in this thread ! :lol3

Dave
  12. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Maybe take your camera off the vivid setting?
  13. Bury_Dave

Bury_Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it were on that setting, I would. All the other colours are spot on .
  14. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bury Dave, what are the locks for? (Possible stupid question)
  15. Bury_Dave

Bury_Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a stoopid question Murdock but it is answered a few posts back: I use them to secure the panniers to the rack. Although neither is in use in the photo, i do keep them attached to the panniers so i don't lose them.

Cheers, Dave
  16. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I went back and found it.
  17. EPMD

EPMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi that's pretty much he exact setup I'm planning except with expedition bags in yellow so I can see what's inside.

I prefer black but also prefer seeing my stuff.

Question: what size pelican is that for your top case? Is that the caribou QFS mounting setup or did you bolt it onto a different rack?

I just pulled the trigger on the 25 L pelican 1520 top case setup from caribou cases...

Thanks!
    EP