Ghost's Beat The Heat Gathering, camp out, clinic May 3-5

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Apr 4, 2013.

1. cavemanjed

cavemanjed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yet again can't make it, Father in law is coming in town last minute. Just for my own happiness BURN THAT DAMN CHAIR WOHOOO! :)
  2. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Work and the home buying/moving process just claimed my weekend. Hope ya'll have a great time.
  3. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    Looks like we all survived:clap I think we had a good turn out and most all learned from the great Ulybrad:evil thanks Brad look forward to the next time:1drink
  4. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    I thought they'd all OD on BBQ by the time the weekend ended, crash into tents. Everyone survived, what a great report. Ghost, ya got any left overs? I miss your cooking man, it's awesome. Really sorry I could not make it up this weekend. I'm gonna have a house warming party in a few weeks in Hutto if anyone wants to come down. Gonna use the Land of Enchantment BMW Riders secret chili recipe for the event. We've made it twice and it rocks as much as the rally itself.
  5. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made it home safe. Thank you all for the hospitality :clap

You better be careful, I might come back . . . and bring friends with me next time :eek1

I've got a bunch of pictures I'll put up later after I get settled. I think I wound up putting almost 1,000 miles on my bike this weekend. I'll double check and get an accurate number when I post up my pictures.
  6. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here we go . . .

Some bored Okie decided to head down to Tejas for some rest and relaxation :lol3

I had no idea what I was in for.

This was all last minute on my part and I didn't do much more planning than grabbing a waypoint and heading South. I'm happy to say that all the locals made me feel right at home.

Got in and set up camp.

[​IMG]

Met a few kind folks

[​IMG]

Was introduced to the Ranger From Hell. Honestly, I had no idea those things could go through/over such rough terrain :eek1

[​IMG]

And handed a nice cold brew. I tell ya, those Texans sure do like Texas :deal

[​IMG]

Everything is bigger in Texas. Even the tents!

[​IMG]

I've been taking riding courses and clinics every chance I get and am able to pull some little tid-bit of information out of every one of them. This one was no exception. Brad is an excellent instructor and even hard-headed old riders like me can take something away from them if you pay attention.

One of these bikes is not like the others.

[​IMG]

What a great bunch of riders!!!

[​IMG]

Mmmm . . . lunch

[​IMG]

Being from out of town (ahem . . . out of State), I really had no idea what was around here to ride, but I was determined to go for a little ride Saturday afternoon one way or another. Worst case, I would just pick a direction and start riding until it was time to come back for dinner . . . Best case - I get a local tour guide to run me around. Big Dave to the rescue :clap

[​IMG]

I think it needs a new spark plug :lol3

Kidding . . . it was really nice to see everybody chipping in to try and diagnose a bike that was intent on being difficult.

[​IMG]

The master Wok chef hard at it. I have got to say the food and camaraderie at camp Ghost is second to none!

[​IMG]

Let me go back a minute here . . . Saturday morning I heard someone say that they were disappointed we didn't get a story from Brad Friday night. I'm wondering what in the world he was talking about since Brad tells stories from moment he wakes up in the morning until his head hits the pillow at night . . . but little did I know, we in fact did NOT get a story from Brad Friday night. We DID, however, get a story Saturday night :clap

Wow. That man has an ability to tell a story. As soon as he started talking, the entire camp went dead silent. It was like nothing I've ever seen. Simply amazing.

[​IMG]

What is the only thing that could top Saturday night's campfire, stories, Ranger rides, and barcaloungers?

Sunday morning's breakfast Wok, of course.

[​IMG]

Again . . . I had an absolute blast and enjoyed meeting each and every one of you. Thanks for the open invite and I'll be sure to try my best to make it down that way again.

Total trip mileage for the weekend on the Super-T . . . 913 miles.
  7. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it...Come on down again and bring friends, we can really go see some roads:1drink
  8. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    Krabill, glad to have met you. I hope my small guiding of our back country roads was to your liking. Come on down anytime you want. Maybe you can find time to come to our Roll The Bones Rally IV. I feel sure you would really like the expanded tour of our back country, but I'd make sure you had a bash plate on you Tenere, some of the roads get a bit.......bumpy do to the weather. :lol3
  9. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ride was perfect, thank you. I can always bring the wr if I need to.
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Rusty,

Care to share the 411 on the tent? I'm in the market.

Boulder Ed,

Sorry you had to miss but it was good meeting you at LSBMW Saturday.
    Looks like that GSW test ride sold two bikes. I'll wait for the GSA in January. Maybe see you at the house warming if I'm around.

JD
  11. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Oh, hell no. All our dirt routes are "big bike friendly".
  12. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    Ummmm......yeah....what he said ! ! ! :huh :lol3 :eek1
  13. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    JD, that is what was the Tenere Expedition tent, now Redverz is the company name and they have slightly redesigned it. Now a bit taller. It is a great tent for a multiday stay at one campsite. Takes a bit longer to set up and tear down, but not a lot more than my REI half dome. I carry it on the back seat of the GSA which really isn't an issue since that is where I usually have my thermarest so it is just one more thing to use as a back rest.

I love having standing room to change and I really like having the covered front to store my panniers. I doubt I would ever use that front as a garage as advertised, but I could see it being useful in certain situations.

Another picture from RTB3;

[​IMG]
  14. ghostrider1964

Oddometer: