Tiger 800 problems; for reference only please

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Rob Dirt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the past few hundred miles I have had the service symbol pop up during initial startup. The little wrench symbol has been accompanied by a mileage countdown. I am now at 9000 miles and the wrench symbol is on all the time now.

I was not aware of a 9000 mile service interval. What's up? Does anyone else have this?

JG
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Every 6000 miles or every year. Is that what it is?
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    The regular service interval is 6K - major at 12K or 2 years which includes valve clearance check.
    Perhaps your dealer reset your service indicator at 3K.
  4. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I read over on another Tiger forum the service interval can be set to whatever desired numbers. :dunno
  5. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    I'm not 100% sure if the actual software at the dealer is similar/same as my Dealertool program, but I can put in any mileage number up to 6000 (maximum) for my next service.

[​IMG]
  6. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got rid of the wrench light this weekend using the dealertool. Worked just great. I noticed you are only able to go up to 6000 on the reset, was hoping to set it higher. Is that all we get.
  7. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am guessing my dealer forgot to reset it at 6000ish when I brought it in. They also told me my airfilter looked good. Since they didn't take the tank off, I wonder how they knew that...

JG
  8. T

T --------------

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  9. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    May I ask which dealer that was (Send PM if you don't want to make it public)? My guess would be Calmoto. These guys had fucked up my Tiger so badly, it took me months to find all the mistakes they made.

Never ever again will I buy a single thing from them or bring a bike there. It's just too dangerous (like they left my brakes leaking after re-installing them, didn't torque fork legs, installed ABS sensor the wrong way ...). That was in Mountain View though.
  10. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I believe I'd have a chat with Management or ownership about that. I'm sure someone there doesn't want the staff lying to customers.
  11. vanjoosten

vanjoosten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I may be another stepper victim. After an awesome on/off road ride today I stopped to fill up and the bike wouldn't restart. Finally with some throttle applied I got it going, but it would die every time I came to a stop. I managed to make it back down to the local dealer (North County Yamaha) by holding the throttle open at stops. The "service" advisor was less than helpful, and even suggested I ride home and bring the bike back next week when the Triumph tech had more time to look at it. I pointed out that it was very dangerous to ride in traffic with the bike in that condition. He also indicated that he had never heard of and stepper problem even though it has been posted on every Triumph forum I have read. Looks like I'm dead in the water for a while! I'll post the results of the diagnosis, and subsequent repairs.... :ddog
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Not trying to sound like a jerk but, since you have read about the problem you should know that if you do have the normal stepper motor problem you can easily fix it yourself in the solutions posted in those same forums. Maybe your problem is slightly different maybe it's not but it certainly seems like attempting the traditional fixes would be the normal first step rather than putting yourself at the mercy of someone else' schedule (and perhaps your $$$).
  13. vanjoosten

Oddometer:
    New $14K bike, less than 4000miles, full warrantee, reasonable expatiation of reliability/service... I do some DIY work, but this is a problem that should be addressed by the dealer. Not to mention, it's better to have a record of the problem in case of further issues. Also better to let Triumph know that this is a problem so perhaps they will design this part better the second time around.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    That's fine. Just saying given the choice between the value of working with the dealer and being "dead in the water" and not being able to ride, I'd rather be riding.
  15. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with SW
  16. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with Swimmer... Let the "dealer" know there is a problem, but fix it (cause they likely won't) and continue riding!!
  17. vanjoosten

Oddometer:
    Problem stopped as soon as they hooked it up to the diagnostic machine... Nothing better than an intermittent fail to confuse the dealer! You and SW may be right about the just DIY bit.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    There are some instances where even though it might be possible for you to fix it yourself bringing it to the dealer for a repair covered by warranty makes sense and I have to do that but, you probably know more about the stepper issue than your dealer so by the time they screw around figuring what it is and communicating with HQ you could have it fixed on your own (assuming it's the most common stepper issue) and be riding around. If triumph isn't aware of the issue by now and have not addressed I gather they never will. Hopefully your issues are behind you.
  19. SPX

SPX Long timer

Oddometer:

Next time head to Rocket Motorcycles, if possible. Much more helpful than NC Yamaha, and they actually know the product. NC Yamaha has a clueless and rude service dept, IMO.
  20. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    Wife's 2013 Tiger XC just went in for first service. Leaky fuel injector/hose and a bad stepper motor. Good to see Triumph even copied BMW's ability to have periodic failures. :lol3