Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM   #8101
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,681
My opinion is the D606 is just a shit front tyre, wear had nothing to do with it, but a great rear tyre.

The MT21 front leaves the D606 for dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz.au View Post
A lot of guys here in Oz, including myself, are also very happy with the Dunlop D606 on the front, and rear. However I do partially blame my very worn D606 front for my biggest crash I ever had on a decomposed granite road. The main lesson I learned was to never ride off-road with a front tyre that worn again.

BygDaddee screwed with this post Yesterday at 01:37 AM
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #8102
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,681
The windscreen mount 12mm as pictured, fitted with the SW Motech rubberised handlebar cross bar mount (also 12mm ) is a good option

https://www.motorradgarage.com.au/gp...meter-crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGamesta View Post
The diameter is about 12mm.

I used the handle bar ram mount with the smaller u-bolt and the plastic spacer. Then I had to shim it with a strip of rubber to get a snug fit.
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #8103
Adventure boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Ive been using the same tyre combo for the last 4 years
MT21 front and TKC80 rear
front great in the mud good on road
rear allows you steer from the rear and still has enough grip to pull 2nd gear clutch wheelies with no wheel spin
heres a pic of mine from our ride on Sunday
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #8104
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
My opinion is the D606 is just a shit front tyre, wear had nothing to do with it, but a great rear tyre.

Agreed, 606 fronts howl like a banshee and wander constantly - never ever felt comfortable with them.

The MT21 I now have on steers a lot easier and is a lot quieter (almost silent).

Having said that, I have been sidelined for the last month with a broken left ankle when the front MT21 let go whilst slowing down in loose stuff and dumped the Sertao on my left leg.

I think I can probably blame the height of the Sertao as the main cause of the incident though, on a lower bike I would have been able to put a foot down and hold it.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #8105
wiz.au
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to give the MT21 a go, considering the number of recommendations it gets here.
Old Today, 07:16 AM   #8106
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Agreed, 606 fronts howl like a banshee and wander constantly - never ever felt comfortable with them.

The MT21 I now have on steers a lot easier and is a lot quieter (almost silent).

Having said that, I have been sidelined for the last month with a broken left ankle when the front MT21 let go whilst slowing down in loose stuff and dumped the Sertao on my left leg.

I think I can probably blame the height of the Sertao as the main cause of the incident though, on a lower bike I would have been able to put a foot down and hold it.
Sorry to hear about your ankle.

At a risk of starting a firestorm, I'll agree that you can blame it on the height of the Sertao, coupled with its hefty 425 lbs, and high center of gravity.

I know I know, many happy owners of Sertaos and Dakars (myself included). I know that it is the bike that does a lot of things well, but none exceptionally well and it is a compromise. I know there are even heavier adventure bikes. All that said, it is sometimes hard to keep it upright in slow speed situations on an uneven ground. Unfortunately your ankle was hurt as a result of all of this.

Heal quickly!
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 PM   #8107
impalla62ss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
YZ Conversion: Factory Lowered

Hello All, this may be off-forum since I have a lowered G650GS 2011, but there a lot on the YZ conversions on this thread. I would have bought a Sertao but I like to flat foot it (I'm short).

My main question is there any point in the conversion for the with the reduced range of motion in the lowered bikes.

If there is any point in doing it, can the kits out there for the Sertao be modified for my bike.

Anyway I look forward to any feedback.
impalla62ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:41 PM   #8108
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by impalla62ss View Post
Hello All, this may be off-forum since I have a lowered G650GS 2011, but there a lot on the YZ conversions on this thread. I would have bought a Sertao but I like to flat foot it (I'm short).

My main question is there any point in the conversion for the with the reduced range of motion in the lowered bikes.

If there is any point in doing it, can the kits out there for the Sertao be modified for my bike.

Anyway I look forward to any feedback.
Whether the bike is lowered or not the YZ forks still work a lot better, you simply overlap the upper and lower legs more using a longer spacer to reduce length and travel. The 46mm forks are easier to achieve further travel reduction to suit the lowering
Old Today, 05:04 PM   #8109
impalla62ss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Whether the bike is lowered or not the YZ forks still work a lot better, you simply overlap the upper and lower legs more using a longer spacer to reduce length and travel. The 46mm forks are easier to achieve further travel reduction to suit the lowering
Thanks I am going to look into it.
impalla62ss is offline   Reply With Quote