Car Thread:Projects or your DD, post it up!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Brendon@TMS, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    All,

Motorcycles can be lots of fun, but as the snow falls, most of us will be reverting to our four wheeled brethren.

I'd like to start a car thread. Post up your ride, project or daily driver, doesn't matter! Show a picture and description, or chit chat, who cares!

I'll go first...

1979 Volvo 245 B21F w/M46, RSI Cam, IPD lowering springs, Bilstein struts/shocks, Momo Competition wheel, Sony/Polk/JL Audio stereo setup, IPD A/C bypass, single round headlight/flathood conversion, and a few other bits.

In the works: heated seats should be in this weekend, as well as freshly painted winter wheels, and a new drivers seat cover. Also have a class 2 trailer hitch to install, hopefully this weekend too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    ODDYOS
    2001 Audi A8L
    4.2L Quattro
    Lower 48 car
    Outstanding on snow/ice
    27 mpg
    Less than half the money of a 2 year old Subie Forrester

[​IMG]
  3. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    BOXKAR
    2007 GMC Savanna
    Cargo only
    Cup holders for 8 ... seating for 2

[​IMG]
  4. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    no projects for me, just maybe looking getting a truck next year. i rarely drive in the summer , so a truck would be great for winter and any outdoor activities i do do when its winter/summer
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

AKA Swagmobile!!!!!!!!!
  6. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    heres one of my MANY vw Westy bus's I have this one is a 1970 it has been off the road for 13 years till last week I brought it out of retirement to run in a engine I just built for a customer in Fairbanks I just don't like handing over a fresh engine without running it for at least 100 miles most of the time the car is here for me to put the engine in but this time its up there so i used this bus for a test bed and I needed to get this bus up and going Iam going to drive this one out this March to do abit of touring down in the states get the hell out of here for awhile. Here Iam running the bus up to Talkeetna for its first outing in years I was feeling brave knowing the bus has been sitting all these years and the engine is new but I know my work and of coarse all went well. It was funny when I took the customer out for a test drive I think he was more fascinated with how good the heat was then how nice it ran.:lol3 Now I have to build the engine that will push this bus along in March I guess I better get to work there is more then just a engine to do the bus.
    [​IMG]
  7. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:
    mpg?
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Heres my other bus This D2D I did the SLOW drive and my BMW was a trailer queen for the first time in its life it was being towed with almost half the horse power it has.:huh I needed the bus it had to haul all the tires and such needed to keep D2D up and going now days. the line was getting long this day around the old bus.

[​IMG]
  9. NorthernBoxer

Oddometer:
    2002 Volkswagen GTI
    1.8L Turbo - 5 speed manual, front wheel drive. Great in the snow wearing my Bridgestone Blizzak studless winters.
    Heated leather seats/mirrors, premium 8 speaker sound system.
    24 city/34 highway mpg

Needs new rear wheel bearings.

[​IMG]
  10. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago I ran it to Homer and back.
    Just me and a bicycle.
    Chevron on LkOtis/Abbott to LandsEnd back to Chevron on LkOtis/Abbott.
    Speed limit all the way except a little fatfoot action up the pass.
    5.3 V8 AWD
    Ordered it with optional 3:43 rear end.
    19.6 mpg
  11. NorthernBoxer

Oddometer:
    Not bad.
  12. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Not at all!
    Particularly when you factor in AWD and tons of room in the back.
    I had Frank Sr. (Precision Autobody) paint the high sides black to break up the lines a bit.
    Looks just like a windowed passenger van with the security of not being able to see inside.

[​IMG]
  13. AlaskaSolstice

AlaskaSolstice Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my daily driver during the summer. At least when my kids aren't around. If they are around I don't get as much time in it. I bought it when I was in college many decades ago and it's still pretty much just like it was back then. Including the wooden door-pulls/armrests that I made back then when I couldn't afford to buy new ones to replace the original vinyl ones when they wore out.
    [​IMG]
  14. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my latest $900 beater truck: It gets me A-B:D
    [​IMG]
  15. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    '02 Chev pickup 496ci big block, just turned 100,000 miles. It loves gas stations and pulls anything you can hook up to it.
    '04 VW Passat 4Motion 2.8L V6, 92,000 miles. Its an Audi Quattro underneath and the best AWD there is.
    Pic taken the day we picked the VW up from Morrison in Jan '04 on the way back to Fairbanks. It was broken in properly.

[​IMG]
  16. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    1952 Ford F1
    First saw on my only ride in 'merica w/ Fite, Ace & Katoomer in '08 in Cooke City, MT. Had a for sale sign in the back window, ran the guy down for info, then pondered buying it for a year and a half... finally couldn't hold back and picked her up summer of '10. Started tearing her down that fall, hope to have her completed by April's car show in Eagle River... Here are a few of the many shots I have of her in various stages of rebuild.
    [​IMG]
    The new powerplant
    [​IMG]
    The new frame
    [​IMG]
    during teardown... note the original Yellowstone "Park Ranger" lettering above windshield
    [​IMG]
    sandblasting
    [​IMG]
    Coming together
    [​IMG]
    Finally in paint
    [​IMG]
    getting there!
    [​IMG]

Lots of time, money, searching the internet for ideas, money, listening to the wife discuss how much it's costing... Oh, did I mention money?:lol3:wink:
  17. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Very cool. The new D2D chase vehicle is born....:1drink
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

The bonus? After you've carted that wheelbarrow full of cash toward the project a few times you can weld that wheelbarrow right into the firewall so you've got enough space for that billion cubic inch tire roaster you've got snuggled in there!

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of mine...

This one's an '85 w/ 33" shoes and she just got fresh 4.88:1's dropped in this weekend. There's roughly 100k on the clock.

[​IMG]

This one's an '83 w/ stock everything. 6375 miles (total) on the clock.

[​IMG]

This one's a '63 w/ a handful of minor surgery done to make it a dd. Works good but I'm emerging from my caveman stage and am beginning to appreciate some of the changes made since and don't want to cut into it in any major way to make it more of a modern vehicle.

[​IMG]

And it's 1964 twin...

[​IMG]

I've got a G-Wagen, too. Diesel, 5sp, locking front, rear, and center difs, etc. Amazingly stout.

[​IMG]

And my summertime baby...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, my lovely wife has suggested that there's an issue she'd like to discuss regarding garage space. I'll be putting some of these in the wind here in the next while. Probably two FJ45's and the G. Not totally sure but probably.
  19. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Legion,
    If you zoom in on the firewall in the build photos you will see your beloved wheelbarrow... the photo with her unprimered shows the holes for the handles towards the top. I'd heard of that trick before, but the reality blew me away... very clean technique, and looks super cool!
  20. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Legion, is the 83 p/u going to be on the market?