Aussie Off Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nevgriff64, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the name of the file that you have been sent as an email attachment?
  2. nazza

nazza Trouble Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you meant me (and I will just assume you probably didn't) I have been on the committee for one of Qld's biggest reptile clubs for a while and know plenty of knowledgeable herpetologists who keep and observe venomous species. I wouldn't have offered commented otherwise. Certainly didn't need to Google anything lol. "Black snakes" unless it is another species who happens to be black.. (tigers can be all black}, generally are not particularly aggro and will generally kill only the very weak. Likely way weaker than anyone who is an advrider lol. If I got bitten out in the bush I would lay low for a couple of days, staying calm and would expect to be all good, just a bit ill if anything. Of course this is not professional medical advice. I have seen red bellies approached and handled both in the wild and captive and they are as a whole one of the most calm of elapids (venomous snakes). Haha I would be more worried about my nasty little Stimson python in a lot of ways.
    Please don't kill snakes unless it is really a life and death situation... pretty much never!
  3. build

build Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right, nah, didn't mean you, I replied to your post above. Disagreed in part ;-) though, happy to take up your reply, you seem real.

beers,
    build
  4. Sleepy John

Oddometer:

My advice FWIW.
    Roos and emus are not naturally aggressive. Such behavior is usually a protective response To their perceived danger.

Stay calm and don't get between them and their young uns. no sudden moves. Back away slowly.

If all else fails, adopt a submissive position, brace yourself and think of dear old Mother England.
  5. build

build Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL, thanks, I think?, Nicely put.

As I'm not going to out run them, I'd prob take the same route. eyes down, back off. As a last resort kneel into a ball after all they are not going to eat me, I hope.

One other thought I had was that these attacks are prob sensationalised by the media, perhaps these attacking animals are just hungry? If food is involved, give it to them and get outa there.

But would be nice to hear from someone who's got first hand knowledge, does this shit happen? If so what to do?

beers,
  6. Sleepy John

Oddometer:
    Good point re food.

Where the Roo struck out at my young fella was in an area where the tourists fed bread to them to attract them closer for the perfect photo.

Stev the kroc hunter made a living out of stressing wild creatures and filming it so that the TV watching public thinks that agressive animal behaviour is the norm.

I suspect that the greatest risk is from bush rats and wild dogs seeking food that overcomes their natural inhibitions.
  7. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    Especially at feeding time, .....:eek1.......I should know cause Google told me so !! :lol3
  8. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume

Oddometer:
    Sorry to join the party late - I have been on some crappy time lines for work !!

I have had this bug for some time (I also get it in tapa talk) the only thing I can put it down to is some one has started a post that would be on a new page so the database creates a new page while they type up that post) and that page only becomes available once the post is submitted!

I havent tested it just atheory at this stage !

and I also get a groovy blank thread on occasion in tapa talk - I have put this down to someone creating a new thread and the same thing happening!

Given the fact I have spent the last 2 weeks bug checking aspx pages and GUI's I think ill leave it for someone lese :D

Lentil out
  9. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:

Same thing here, thought it was just our end [computer], but it seems to come & go?
    Cheers
    Baza
  10. GSnovice

GSnovice Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, see it all the time. Using PC, Windows XP, Firefox.
  11. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Should do a computer course of some sort & learn how to deal with these gremlins!
    Cheers
    Baza
  12. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    If all else fails see above.
  13. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the remainder, won't start in WA for another hour.
    ed
  14. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Steve McQueen's character has just done his famous bike jump....!!
  15. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Eyre doco on ABC NOW!!
    Stunning photography and all round report from the now sadly departed crew
  16. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume

Oddometer:
    any body else having trouble posting images???
  17. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    No

[​IMG]
  18. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Yep, have been off&on for last fortnight, thought it might have been me messing with wrong keys or something, :eek1
    you know - nightshift blues/insomnia, tried sleeping this afternoon [12hr nightshift] but too hyped up after tangling with 6' Brown on the verandah, no bloody weapons when you need one, he didn't appreciate a shower of petrol though! fucked his ideas of having piece of me - they tell me a face full of petrol does that :lol3
    Cheers
    Baza
  19. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Thought I was going mad, then I noticed the powers of the site haven't changed to daylight saving mode? :huh
    Who's keeper of the big watch? Russ / Greg ? :deal
    Cheers
    Baza
  20. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    Smug mug.:wink:

[​IMG]