Mefo Stone master, Another lame tire thread.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Off Road Ryder, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone that uses the 950/990 off road:huh running a stonemaster rear?
    Im a 908 fan, but would like a little more aggressive tire that might also last 1500 miles or so.
    What did you think?
    Did It Ride like a tractor?
  2. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Tried the stone master. Liked the way it worked (both street and dirt) Just not how it lasted [​IMG]2nd photo is 1/2 way thru a 360 mile dual sport ride
  3. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the review above. Great tire, for the first 200 or so miles :eek1
  4. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the stonemaster rear. It lasts more than 200 miles for me, but not as well as a D908.

I think the last one I did about 4-5 days of racing (rallies) and a couple of trail rides before it was toasted. This is probably 800 miles, ish.

But - it's half the price of the Dunlop and offers loads more grip. Go easy with the throttle on tarmac though!

Oh, by the way, it doesn't fit well on the standard rim. A 2.5 rear rim is much better.
  5. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies.. I was hoping for a bit more mileage, but it Might be a good option for a race, since its getting real hard to find wide knobbies anymore.
  6. Altego

Altego Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a great looking (new) tire, can't imagine getting many miles out of it though. Hard to beat the MEFO explorer for an all arounder
  7. Shunka

Shunka Supervision Required

Oddometer:
    +1 My tire of choice as well.
  8. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Its all about how you ride.
    The Explorer is Great tire for poking around.
    IMO its a scary pile of crap when pushed past the limit, and that limit isn't much.. If Im lucky I can get about 2000 miles from an explorer or Hienduu??. 908 has yet to fail me and I get close to the same life span..
    NO tire is going to last long, If I can get two per oil change Ill be happy.
  9. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    I put Stone Masters on my KTM 950 SE, and had the same experience as above. They are great tires when they are new, but they are super soft and sticky, so they don't last long.
  10. armourbl

armourbl Adventure Life

Oddometer:
    Tell me more about he Mefo. I'm using the Super Explorer, but no time on it yet to really judge it well. Had a 908 before that and while it didn't let me down, it did leave me wanting more.

Was thinking of a Kenda Big Block, but mileage is important for me.

ben
  11. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I'm still searching for a good rear tire for the SE as well. I've run the 908 ( good but stupid expensive), the k60, motoz, and a Pirelli mt16 (hare scramble). I have a teraflex installed and while it looks to be good for soft terrain I have one race on it and can't see it lasting very long. Will ride it again tomorrow and see how a normal ride wears it.

I just bought a Pirelli scorpion rally front an rear and for the price those may be my new dual sport tires. I also picked up a set of mt90at for street rides. Might keep the teraflex as an off road only tire and see how the rally does for standard dual sport use. At half the price (scorp rally) compared to the 908 I'll see how they compare. Might also try the newer kenda big block or even an mt21 rear and see how they run. Anything is better price than the 908... Lol.
  12. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I agree the MEFO Super Explorer REAR TIRE is a great tire. I love mine. Works great off road, very predictable. Great in the dry asphalt, a little slippery on cold wet mornings. it will last a looooong time
  13. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try the Pirelli XCMH.

Wears faster than a 908 but costs almost half the price and grips quite better.
  14. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I have used both 908 and Stone Master more than once.

Stone Master is a bit better off road. Main advantages are on terrain or wet terrains. On hard/ravel/stone terrains they are as good as each other.
    Stone Master last(I mean to be smooth!) no more than 1000km if you are gentle with the throttle, even less if you are aggressive. 908 at least double. Moreover the 908 performe decently on tarmac while the Stone Master is a disaster!

Now it is your choice.

Ciao

Nic