Racetech v Traxxion

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GoneAgain, Jul 4, 2013.

1. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    sigh... another suspension thread....

anyway, i've read pretty much every thread on the front F800GS forks

the shiverd conversion aint an option for me..

it seems a year or so back a few inmates went down the Racetech G2-R 25mm cartridge road, or the AK-20 Axxion cartridge rd...

doesnt seem to be any more recent news/updates on these..

so anybody got any feedback on their Racetechs or Traxxion fork cartriges..how they holding up, happy?? :ear

2. dbh

dbh d00d

Oddometer:
    Using the Traxxion AK-20s in my 2010 f800gs and am very happy with them. Will get another chance to gaze at their beauty again this weekend as I change out my leaking fork seals again. No experience in the Racetech options for this bike, but have had their emulators in my '99 FXDS since 2000 and am very happy with those, too.
  3. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    About all I can add to my original review of the Traxxion AK-20's is I like them even more after I turned the damping adjustments out about 2.5 turns.

Well worthwhile upgrade.
  5. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:

+ 1 :lol3

6. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:

yeah i did... but they were just offering to 'automate' the shiverd conversion... which would mean sending my forks from Australia to the USA and back... probably not cost or time effective.......

if i'm gonna post my forks, i can post them to sydney and get the racetech innards, or i can just have Traxxion post me their innards and drop em in myself..

not saying the konflict option is crap... just dont think it works from the other side of the world :D

7. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    I went the Konflict route, I definitely do not regret that decision. They are awesome and Alex stands behind his work, you are dealing with the one and only person that does the work, not some random "Tech" that's just throwing crap together.

There's something to be said about dealing with the person directly responsible for the company and the quality it puts out.

I used to think RaceTech had some halfway decent products, but over the last few months or so I've been hearing rumblings of sub standard work and products. I'd do some research on that front to see if that's true or not.
  8. xsf18cdf

xsf18cdf xsf18cdf

Oddometer:
    Its has worked well for me and I just had the BM303 installed on the rear. Pick it up tomorrow from the rear install. I've got about 2000+ miles on the fork setup. The forks are night and day different. I take asphalt corners faster and more stable and the the few rocky/rutted dirt roads I've been on since are actually a pleasure to play on. It is a completely different bike with just the forks. Reasonably priced too.

G
  9. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    +1
  10. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    GA, if you find out more keep posted. I am undecided what track to take. To date I haven't located a second hand set of Shivers. I am still considering just doing the Hyperpro spring upgrades for $500 ( ex Perth ). Ohlins mods are a little pricey and will get worse with the falling dollar. I am going to contact Terry Hay Shock Treatment and see what he has to say about Racetech mods.

11. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    Spoke to terrys offsider the other day, racetech bits are about 1800 bucks plus 250 for them to fit...should have your forks back about 4 wks from ordering..
  12. txtallywhacker

txtallywhacker I pooped today!

Oddometer:
  13. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    I think with the falling Aussie dollar plus air freight each way I would be getting close to the Racetech price. I am sure there is reference here somewhere that the Bitubo cartridges are failing.

I need to try a bike with the Shiver conversion as everyone here that has done it sings its praises.
    Thanks for the link anyway. I might see if I can find a local dealer.

QUOTE=txtallywhacker;21807020]why wouldn't you just do this, almost same price.

http://twalcomusa.com/bitubo-tt-o-front-fork-cartridges-kit-f800gs-f650gs-twin.html

I have no idea about it other than the price not much more for a cartridge too[/QUOTE]
  14. txtallywhacker

Oddometer:
    I been lookin for shiver 45mm on ebay since a week before I picked up my bike...nothing to show for it. and I cant just do a front end swap, im already on my toes with the forks up a 1/2 inch in the clamps...:cry
  15. machinebuilder

Oddometer:

If you read all the threads on here, the Bitubo's last about 10k Miles.
    (edit: ITSATDM seems to have had them last longer, maybe Gary will chime in)

And then getting them rebuilt is a problem because of the gas charge.

Dockingpilot ran them and had put the AK-20's in later.

Traxxion turned my forks around in 10 days. It is the biggest impact single upgrade you can do to this bike.
  16. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Traxxion is a proven reliable and serviceable with great performance but make sure you order the valving for off road. They have 3 standard valving offerings for the F800GS.
  17. txtallywhacker

Oddometer:
    mind me askin how much it cost yall for traxxion?
  18. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    i'm still waiting for a reply from Traxxion re costs... but they sound like they are a genuine 'drop-in' fix (ie no machining required..)

I'm expecting they will be cheaper than the racetech option...

19. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:

how long have you had yours in for? had them serviced since?

20. machinebuilder

Oddometer:
    this will be close to 1 year, about 5000mi (it's been really busy at work)

I haven't had them serviced, I don't think I need to yet.

As I recall it was about $1200 to have them install everything.
    I removed the forks and sent them to them and got them back in 10 days, But they are just in Georgia, maybe 150mi from me, I could have ridden down and had them do the R&R also.

I know there are a couple guy's in Colorado that have installed them themselves, I don't think its to difficult if you have worked on forks before.

As Indy has pointed out, order the "offroad" setup, they also off an "on road", and an "adventure" setup, going by my poor memory it's not just valving changes but stiffer spring rates also.
    I got their "offroad" setup and find it has sped me up on road too. I thought I'd rather lose a little on pavement, and gain more off pavement. The gains on both from stock are amazing.

here's my original writeup
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821115

One thing I will point out, this makes one leg for compression damping and one leg for rebound damping. That's why there is no machining required and you still get adjustments for both.