Anyone else interested in KR's MotoGP plans?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Dr. Greg, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't seen this discussed, so I'll bring it up...

Hearing the teaser from King Kenny about his possible plans for next year has to be the most intriguing thing in quite a while. Anyone else kinda curious what KR has up his sleeve?

I recall seeing the rise of KR on the mile and half-mile dirt tracks in the early 70s (great battles with Gary Scott on the H-D), and count myself grateful that I saw him learn roadracing under Kel Carruthers' tutelage shortly thereafter. In the AMA "250 lightweight" race at Laguna in '74 (give or take a year) he was riding in technicolor with the others in b/w.

Oops, I get distracted. We all know what happened when KR went to Europe in 1978 (MotoGP, er 500cc title his first year). Then 79 and 80, too. Then he went on to have a bit of success as team manager/owner with WR, etc. Many of you know this history far better than I...(I may have a few facts/years in error).

SO...when I hear Kenny Roberts saying "look for big things from us" it gets my attention. The man knows a bit about riding, development, and management. What rider(s) is he contemplating? What bike? Sponsors? I'm more excited about THIS than almost anything else this year.:clap

But I guess nobody else is interested...debating the NH/AD "pass" is more fun.:dhorse

--Doc
  2. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    But with all respect to KR and all he has accomplished....

...haven't we heard this before? Hasn't he been threatening a big MotoGP effort several times in the past?

Perhaps with the coming season that has the factories supplying production MotoGP bikes- this might be the real thing?

We would all like to see KRsr back on the world circuit.
  3. Bultacofan

Bultacofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure a production racer could produce "Big Things"
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Id be interested to see KR have another shot at it,its good for the sport and who knows what he might come up with?
  6. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked in the "main" thread and couldn't find any KR discussion; clearly I didn't look hard enough.

Not knowing (as I said) as much as many here, and ignorant of KR's previous efforts, I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. I'll go back to being a lurker.

--Doc
  7. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    It's good to be king, if just for a while
    To be there in velvet, yeah, to give 'em a smile
    It's good to get high and never come down
    It's good to be king of your own little town

Yeah, the world would swing if I were king
    Can I help it if I still dream time to time

It's good to be king and have your own way
    Get a feeling of peace at the end of the day
    And when your bulldog barks and your canary sings
    You're out there with winners, it's good to be king
  8. jktpa

jktpa X-Troller

Oddometer:
    You didn't waste anyone's time, the last thing you want to do around here is apologize for doing something you were interested in. Cross threads get posted all the time just roll with us Effin Eff's and you will be happier we all take shot at each other now and then.
  9. sailor22

sailor22 Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer:
    A room full of blokes who ride motorcycles.... expect a little jostling Doc.

Elbows out and fast forward!
  10. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    The thing about the Great ones is they know when to QUIT. His Rolls looked Cool sitting next to the coaches in a Handicapped space this weekend in Indy!:huh
  11. slower_than_you

slower_than_you Slacker

Oddometer:
    Id love to see him back - IF and only IF he can get some support , aka $$$ , to really give it a good go.Id like to see him back at the level he was in the late 80's / early 90's .
    The end of his last effort hurt my feelings for the guy.
  12. jktpa

jktpa X-Troller

Oddometer:
    It sure was cool after after his falling out with KTM that he took the honda engine and beat them with JR riding Roberts framed bikes till they got embarrassed.
  13. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Suzuki?? Honda customer bike? It would be nice to have him in the paddock again.
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Doc - Long time no post. I was at Laguna for that race, but I think it was 1976. That was the second motorcycle road race I ever saw. The first was in 1962 on a street course in Stockton. The main show that day was won by Dave McDonald in the '00' Don Steves Corvette. You probably remember that car and driver. :D

I'd like to see KR back. I think the series rules are shaping up for him to be a force. But he has to nail down the funding first. I don't think he'll ever risk his own nickle again.

Contrary to most here, I'd like to see him run a production racer. That Yamaha motor lease thing seems similar to the HRC deal he had in the V5 era. That was certainly fun while it lasted.
  15. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I'm interested, but I think that for as long as he's been out he's been working on putting something together.
    I hope he can.
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite