Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tr3_OWYlMFU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    158 miles. This was not that long a ride but it was a pretty tough day. The winds were pretty fierce and were moving me around in my lane. When a big doble remolque would come from the other direction the turbulence was something to reckon with. For the most part the road is not interesting until you get closer to Ensenada and there is not much habitation and some great mountain road riding. Some very nice smooth well banked curves and some not so smooth or well banked and of decreasing radius. It is enough to maintain your interest! Getting through Ensenada was easy. That place has changed a lot since I was last there in the seventies and early eighties. I had already decided to take Route 3, the Ruta de Vino up to cross the border at Tecate. The Posada Inn at Ranch Maria Teresa was a very nice stop. Unfortunately, no wi fi,
    something that has become important to me. The restaurant is very good but it closes at six, earlier than I like to eat usually. The room was comfortable with a good hot shower. Friday morning (4/26) I met and had a good conversation with Don Jose Joachin Santana the dueño of the rancho. He pioneered the place starting in 1959. He raised his family here and makes some good wines from the grapes grown on the property. He offers a tasting tray of six varietals and one blend in the restaurant. The grounds are beautifully planted with lots of flowers, the vineyards are adjacent, there are two nice swimming pools and a large public room with a nice pool table. A big plus for me was the coffee bar where you can get a very good latte or capuccino. This particular Mexican wine region is probably about where the Napa Valley of California was when I visited it for the first time in the early seventies. It is close to the border, crossing at Tecate is pretty easy. If you are up to a short trip to Old Mexico from SoCal or Arizona I would recommend this place. For dinner I had perfectly prepared quail and breakfast was a really good machaca Sonora style.
  3. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    131 miles. A pretty easy day's ride from Valle de Guadalupe to Carlsbad, just North of San Diego, south of Oceanside. The border crossing was easy for me on a moto, not so easy for the folks in cars and trucks lined up for a considerable distance on both sides of the border. I can only imagine what a nightmare Tijuana must be. It took about 45 minutes to: find Banjerito, have customs and Banjercito look at the bike and clear the TVIP and get back to the line at the border. I was waved on to the front of the line and in minutes had crossed back into the US. Thank you Mexico for 4 and a half wonderful months. My knee is still a nagging problem but is getting better. Will see a Sports Medicine doc next week. Tonight box seats at the Padres v. Giants game at... is it really called Petco Park? For sentimental reasons I will be quietly routing for San Francisco, the New York Giants were a childhood fave and my San Francisco buddies are rabid fans. Nice way to re-enter the homeland and the "safety and security" of the US of A... wink, wink.
  4. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing says "Mexico" like, "Rajna Xro Jitxuxi".

[​IMG]

If you've seen this sign, you have ridden one of the absolute best all round rides in Mexico.

If you haven't, you need to.
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Three weeks ago, I owned five motos, three of them have since been sold! :D Anyone want to buy a house? :evil Yes, I will be living on the Road and/or Mexico! A full time traveler! As I have stated here before, you don't really need all of your stuff. Just a moto, a gps/map and your debit card! :lol3
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome home RMO. That was a hell of a trip.
  7. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the INEGI maps for and for riding. The INEGI maps are a lot like the maps produced by the USGS 30 years ago when the USGS had money. They do it a little different in Mexico. INEGI is more like the geographical service. They also do the national census. SGM (Servicios Geologicos Mexicanos) is like the USGS without the topographic maps, but better funded!

Some people like the touch and feel of a paper map. Im not sure but think that the ES-32 maps are basically the INEGI database that has been digitized and geo-referenced for use in a GPS.

http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/
  8. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bicimapas is also an authorized INEGI reseller.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Just a few short years behind you Amigo.
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LINK

Let's go, boys and girls :deal

I'll be on SR's DRZ 400

He'll be on his brand new WR 450

Off-road (and kinda in the neighborhood of) the existing Libre 40 (Espinazo del Diablo) and the soon-to-be opened Cuota 40 between Durango and Mazatlán.
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Going from SA to DGO via Parras de la Fuente on the GSA
  13. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR, David. Really enjoyed following along. Your report has become reference material for future trip planning. Hope to cross paths again with you in Mexico.
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Rode it with Mark883 October of 2011. On horseback. You should find it very ridable for your little horse with DP tires. And worthwhile, too. Small communities and interesting ruins scattered throught the valley.
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  16. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I got her nearly all setup.
    -3.1 gallom IMS tank.
    -Magura Hydraulic Clutch.
    -Yamaha Programmable ECU and Fuel Injection Tuner.
    -Cycra Hand Guards.
    -Moose Racing Fender Bag
    -Moose Seat Strap.
    -Acerbis front disk guard (not installed).

I'm getting her all uncorked with a new tailpipe insert and I removed the snorkel and ridiculous throttle stop screw. The throttle stop screw was about an inch long and took out at least half the throttle range. It's like strapping a brick to the back side of the gas pedal of a new car to reduce noise and emissions. It's in the trash can now, along with the spark arrestor. I haven't had a chance to ride it since I uncorked but it sounds amazing.

BTW, for those who were as shocked as I was that it would barely start, although it's fuel injected, there is a cold start button on the side of the throttle body. I hate it when I have to read the manual!:rofl
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Your bike is very similar to a lot of women :deal :lol3 :freaky :rofl
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I feel an epic ride coming on :rayof :gun1
  19. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1:clap. Anyone else in?