Least noisey trialer

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Wingboy, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know most are very quiet anyway,but which manufacturer is the quietest? I heard a Beta that was very nice.I'll be in the market as soon as i sell my Ducati.
  2. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you may be thinking of the Beta 4t. Very quiet.

To my un-calibrated ear, GasGas 2t is pretty quiet. More so than the Beta 2t anyway. As i recall the Ossa was quiet as well.
  3. Jonny042

Jonny042 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the 250 versions of any of the manufacturers will "bark" a little less, too, when compared to, say, the 300's. Gas Gas is pretty quiet.

There's always the electric option, too.... someday?
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Beta 250 4 stroke, unless you go electric.
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Montesa 4rt with all the restrictors in.
  6. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive never heard a quiet 4rt.
  7. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I would kind of agree with 4rt being quiet, if every restrictor is still in place, that it was shipped with, BUT-> most took at least one of the restrictors out of those bikes like Lazer has noticed. Really loud ones, have had them both removed, and there might be another mod they can do on those bikes, that made em so loud.

But stock the 4rt's with all exhaust restrictors in, I admit I am unsure but I thought it was 2, (not poking fun here) they are no louder than your kid's stock and new trail 70 or 125 enduro.

we have a rider at AVTA, Mike P's tessa, is VERY quiet and he told me (a year or more ago though on night around the firepit, since memory fades keep that in mind) that there were 2 restrictors you can easily take out, of the exhaust system... and that he'd tried it all 3 ways, liked it quieter, so he put one of them back in... He did think there was more power (but it changes where the power was? He didnt need it in Sr Amature class) with each different restrictor you can change or modify if you want to.
    I dont know that, I was just taking his word, he's ridden trials since the early 70's so he has enough experience to feel safe he knows what he knows.

All of our bikes are pretty quiet when new though, and you can and should repack the silencers once every year or two, it keeps the noise down, if THAT matters at all.

FWIW, I dont know, maybe we're more tolerant in Kansas/missouri? we ride in Downtown suburbs of Kansas city Kansas, on January 1, each year. 20-35 bikes riding trials, in the back yard of this guys nice house with extra backyard property... and really the neighbors love watching and if you stand in the front yard, we're all in the backyard, you barley if at all hear anything going on... the back yard does slope down from the house at about average roof pitch, for say, 30ft elevation to a creek area. Many sections setup on the hill close to home though as well, for spectators... Im sure that helps with sound a little, but still...

Now around an apartment or duplex without much yard, you might not have as much luck, lol
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Stock the 4rt is very quiet. Unfortunately they run so sickly stock, everyone tries derestricting them and then they become obnoxious.
  9. LowPSI

LowPSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    The early 4RT's has 3 restrictors. All new 4RT owners were advised to removed the first one (at cylinder/head pipe) and leave the mid and end ones installed. The bike was still quiet and the only power loss was 1/4 HP at full rpm. Sadly too many people removed the other 2 restrictors and the bike became much louder. People hear the word restrictor and they think horsepower loss not sound restrictor.

It was just too easy to remove the final restrictor. 2 screws and it was off.

In 2008 the mufflers were modified to make them tamperproof and now is it not a problem.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if you do not mind no power, the Reflex is the ninja of motorcycles. I had one idling on my lift and my son could hear the vibration over the exhaust. I laughed for quite awhile when he finally snapped the motor was running! Actually any stock Honda trials have always been very quiet, And yes the Beta 4T sounds just like a sewing machine.
  11. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    the Reflex is so quiet people can hear me fart while I am out riding it
  12. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  13. tenorjazz

tenorjazz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you don't mind if I open this Least Noisey Trialer question up just a little....

I'm riding an old vintage Bultaco, and it isn't very quit at all. I have been trying to come up with a way to make it as quiet as possible. Anybody else interested in making their vintage trails bike quieter?

I first took a stock exhaust and added an internal spark arrester which cut the DB's by about 5 then I modified the end of the pipe with a custom do-jiggy that cut it another 5-10 db. A lot better, but still not where I want to be. I had another muffler laying around so I cut it open and stuffed it with this ceramic fiber material that I use on the outside of my pottery kiln, it didn't work. I have an idea to build a custom muffler with all kinds of baffles in it and see if that will work.

One of the more interesting things is I found to help out were a couple of iPad DB meter apps. I just run the bike next to my iPad and can see how I'm doing.
  14. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The way to make any 2T bike less noisy is to fit a larger volume absorption type exhaust system, and make this out of aluminum rather than steel, which tends to reduce noise.
  15. Bob_M

Bob_M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be in the market as soon as i sell my Ducati.[/QUOTE] ??

WHHHHHAAAATTTTT?

Sorta like selling one's soul to the devil :D.
  16. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's ok,i have another track only Duc that is staying put.
    The one in the middle is for sale.
    [​IMG]
  17. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    The next thing you need to do is cut all the fins off the cylinder and head, then build a water jacket around those parts. you can mount a radiator on the fork tubes. That will make a big difference. You could probably coat the primary case with automotive bed liner or something similar for further sound reduction.
    By the way why don't you post a photo of your bike in the Vintage Trial thread on this forum. We like to see the old iron.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731048
  18. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    A snorkel that points the pipe down a bit can help with perceived volume, but may not fool a DB meter.

I have always thought my Gasser was as quiet as anything. If you work at it, you can be super stealth on the 300, as you can do most intermediate moves just barely off idle.

The Beta Rev3 ive spent time on is comparable in sound level, not bad at all.

My xr650r is deafening wide open, and I have to wear ear plugs when out touring. But on trail, at low throttle, is really isn't that loud, though it seems much louder to me than my old KTM 250EXC. Awhile back I was on a ride, met up with 2 ktm smokers, joined up and rode a trail around a set of hills. My dad was trialsing with the dogs on the hill (big hill, maybe 750') to him the XR was no worse than the KTMs, and none of them were very loud, which I found interesting.

That said, some of the really barky 4 strokes are just obnoxious no matter how you ride them.
  19. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Try one of these: http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/
    I've not used one personally but they're premade, ready to go. Might give you that next step you're looking for.