is it easy to find synthetic motorcycle oil in central and south america?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MoustacheMan, Jan 2, 2010.

1. MoustacheMan

MoustacheMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is it as cheap as in the states? rotella. I couldnt find any info on this. I might just stick with 20w50 mineral instead of switching over to synthetic. I dont want to drive around to motorcycle shops to find oil.
  2. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I saw synthetic a couple of places in Mexico...also half & half.

Finding motorcycle oil is also a little problematic... you'll probably have to hit the larger cities for that.

FWIW, I'd planned to do oil changes every 3,000 miles, and change the filter every OTHER oil change, so I only brought 5 filters with me (30,00 miles Rhode Island to Ushuaia, / 3,000 miles / every other)...but I've found my oil to be so very dirty each time I've changed it, I don't dare re-use the filter. So I have to add oil filters to my ever-growing list of hard-to-find parts in Central and South America...

[2003 DR650 SE]

~MAG
  3. MoustacheMan

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info. I got two stainless steel filters. saves me alot of space. I can clean them when they are both dirty. I have to do changes every 2000 miles or so, the bike wont be going freeway speeds most of the time but the drz400 is hard on oil. I think I will just stick with conventional oil. some 20w50 motorcycle oil shouldnt be too hard to find at an auto parts store...
  4. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20x50 ????? how about regular 10x40.. you will find filters most any town or village..... set out everything you plan to take,,,, stand back,, take a look at all that sh*t,,, and say to your self..WhereTF am I going to put all that????? Take,, Your coat, 1 pair pants,, 1 pair shorts, (to wear while you wash your pants...) 1 shirt,, 3 set of underwear,, 6 band aids,, 2 razors,, 1 bar of soap,, your shirt, belt, wallet full of $$$$$$ HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME...

Oh yes don't forget your full face helmet,, flip up best for the Police check points,, open it quickly,, BIG SMILE,, NO,,NO,,sunglasses,, the cops like to wear them,, but you will get along much better if the cops can see YOUR EYES...:1drink
  5. jlizarzaburu

jlizarzaburu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What kind of bike you have??? In Panama you can find everything you need. Oil, filters and spare parts.
  6. padalinskie

padalinskie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problema in Mexico! I have a BMW car here that uses synthetic oil and I can find it pretty much everywhere including the grocery store. Of course the cost is another question...as I can run as high as $10.00 per liter/quart.
    Good luck in your travels!
  7. SeaDog

SeaDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any problem using 15x50 syn., instead of 20x50 syn. in a GS 1150?
  8. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem in Costa Rica ! :thumb
  9. cu260r6

cu260r6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are a couple problems with finding synthetic in SA. You may be able to find it occasionally in the larger capital cities, but it is INCREDIBLY expensive. I saw over $15 per quart in several places. If you can really read spanish well you can buy the much cheaper car oil and read the label to see if it has energy or friction modifiers that won't work with wet clutches, but I did not understand spanish that well.

Weighed down you'll probably be putting a lot of load on your motor, and you'll be going through oil much quicker anyway. Synthetic's viscosity isn't going to last that much longer, so just plan on changes every 2-2.5k miles, and you'll be fine on mineral oil.
  10. MoustacheMan

Oddometer:
    i am running a stainless steel filter and I will just dump diesel oil in there...problem solved!