Three Months on a Husky TE610

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fishfund, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am the fortunate owner of two things. 3 months of free time, and a Husky TE610. For the last year now I have been dreaming of doing a long distance ride. I have read countless ride reports and studied the bikes. I grew up on dirtbikes so I wanted the most dirt capable dual-sport of the bunch. I ended up buying BigDog's old Husky in December in the middle of an ice storm and the next month I spent planning and gearing up for the trip. I have two planned stops. March 1-8th I will be in Cancun to meet up with my fishing buddy Butler and his family. The second stop is to the Island of Utila off the coast of Honduras. Other than that, it is all in the air. I was dropped off in Corpus Christi Sunday. Here is my story:
  2. Fishfund

Oddometer:
    Day one started out with a bang. I got stuck in the mud trying to get out to a "little island" to camp for the night in Corpus Christi right off the Oso bridge (Spanish for bear.)
    [​IMG]

Frank, the tow truck driver said he had never pulled out a Motorcycle before. A whale? Yes. Motorcycle? No. By the time it was all said and done and I had the gear loaded back on the bike it was 1:30 a.m. Time to find a cheap motel to wreck.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6 hard shell taco's and and 2 1/2 hours later, I was ready for bed. The next morning I spent cleaning up the bike at the local car wash. In the time that I had my bike cleaned an off duty cop only had vacuumed the inside of his truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There she is clean and ready to go
    [​IMG]

Now it was time to see the beach.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Earlier in the day I ate at a little restaurant in the town of Port Aransas. The waitress Patti asked me if my bike was a Kawasaki. She thought it was a KLR. I know, I know, but she had the right idea. Anyway, I was asking her if it was cool to camp on this beach, she said it was fine, but she had an old trailer that I could sleep in if I wanted to. No electricity or anything, just a bed. It was parked behind her little home. I took her up on the offer.
    [​IMG]
    Home sweet home.
    [​IMG]
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:lurk
  4. beerjonny

beerjonny Planning mode...

Oddometer:
    Different, I like it :lurk
  5. Juntura

Juntura Obsessive Lurker

Oddometer:
    We're watching and waiting.:lurk
  6. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pass the popcorn... Good luck on the ride and keep sending the reports.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  7. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    You're off to a great start.
    Enjoy your trip.
    Q~
  8. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read your prologue and thought you were a noob dickhead until I read about the fishing boat. You have the right character for adventure :thumb

Good luck with the ride and I'll be watching :lurk

Mike
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    subscribed

10. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    subscribed and waiting...this should be good.

I like the fact that your using a much more friendly off road bike. something like the te610 is going to take you to more unaccesable places easier than something big will. I look forward to reading this adventure. :clap
  11. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Any pics of Patty?
  12. Fishfund

Oddometer:
    I'm staying there tonight again. I'll try to nab a photo of her in the morning. Her boyfriend Brett is no so keen on me, so if he is around no photo. He's a little shaded out by me. Patty is just a really nice person down on her luck and willing to help people out. Her husband has been in prison for the last three years. Drug related is all I got out of it. A month after he was incarcerated, her mother passed away. They were best friends so Patty didn't take it well. In fact she had a panic attack and went to the hospital for a while. Three years later she is just trying to get back on her feet. Her "boyfriend" was dumped by a girl he was staying with and was homeless so she took him in her one room apartment. She told me to "Pay it forward"
  13. Fishfund

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Oh, and her electricity got turned off today because the place she is renting switched owners. She doesn't even have a shower in the house. She gave me her key and bad directions to a shower a few miles down the road. All this in the middle of a high tourist area. The locals don't have much. The visitors have everything.
  14. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes! Fishfund get outta there! :D

Too adventurous for me. I thought this would be just the normal "you get to score with the chick" type of story. Not something like she's got a jealous boyfriend living with her and a husband in prison. Does the husband in prison know about the boyfriend? Wait, don't ask her about that. Sleep with one eye open tonight and flee before sunrise! :rofl
  15. RacerXS

RacerXS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :2guns:velvt

Dude, get out NOW!

Subscribed.
  16. Fishfund

Oddometer:
    I Finally got my Mexican Maps on my Garmin. Not easy when you have a Mac and are running bootcamp to install Vista and you don't have the Leopard disk to install the drivers for Vista. Anyway for all you worriers out there. I'm leaving before sun up tomorrow morning.
  17. Mastros2

Mastros2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! I'm hooked!
  18. Agave

Agave El Corazón

Oddometer:
  19. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Gimme some... :lurk .

Hey Fishfund, post that pic of you getting ready to go on the trip with the innertube over your shoulder...I love that one!! :clap
  20. Incredulous

Incredulous Peanut Gallery Supporter

Oddometer:
    Already some adventure, cool! :thumb

I like how you got it stuck on the very first page, this should be fun.:lol3