Need a more aggressive tire in 17"

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JBruyet, Oct 5, 2010.

1. JBruyet

JBruyet Mountain chaser

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I replaced the original Battlewings on my F800 GS with some Michelin Anakee 2s. I'm starting to do a little dirt riding and find myself sliding around too much, especially when the dirt gets a little wet. I've looked at some tires that I liked but very few come in a 17" size and none of those in a 150/70 17. I was hoping to see some Heidenaus somewhere here in the states but I've about given up on them. So, what are some "more aggressive tire" recommendations for old, rutted dirt road/some single-track riding? Or, is it time to give Woody's a call and get setup with an 18" rear? FWIW my F800 is my commuter and my commute is about 15 highway miles one way. I had thought about TKC80s but after hearing about how $$$ they are and how long they last I would like some other options.

Thanks,

Joe B
  2. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I've run several Metzler Karoo Ts (longer lasting). There is a Karoo 2 which is more agressive. They have about the same life as the TKCs I'm guessing, I can't get more than 2k miles before they are destroyed.

Check out the extensive tire thread for all the options:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389662

:evil
  3. JBruyet

JBruyet Mountain chaser

Oddometer:
    Sigh. After reading that thread now my head is spinning. Maybe I will wait for the Heidenau tires to get in. My Anakee 2s are ok on the road, but off-road they're just not that much help.

Thanks,

Joe B
  4. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    from: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4790/766/

"Mefo Tire, DOT knobby, Stone Master rear (140/80-17) is a tube-type rear tire with a load and speed rating of 69R."

Load rating of 69 is same as a 150/70x17. The real question is does TwTh have them in stock? Same price as TKC's but better much life, according to Dr.Rock. YMMV

Cheers, M.

[​IMG]
  5. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mitas is a good choice. I just tried a D606 on the back of my F8, and I am really happy with it so far.
  6. switch

switch Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer:
    Mitas is generally hard, cold rubber. They're nice offroad but when cold or when the tarmac is wet, they're downright scary if not dangereous.

I recommend Heidenau K60 Scouts. 140/80-17, since the elusive 150/70-17 won't be available until the end of the year. Those tires have simply the best profile that I know of for mixed riding. I'd call them 60on/40off tires. Realistic lifespan of 10k-12k km (~6-7k miles).

A very interesting alternative, more expensive and more aggressive, is the Metzler Karoo T. Mind you, Karoo T and not Karoo or Karoo 2. The tires are great but can be a bit dodgy on wet tarmac. I'd call them 50on/50off tires. Similar lifespan to the K60; slightly shorter perhaps.

Mitas E10 (the new ones) would be the 40on/60 off, since they're good only on dry roads and where the tarmac ends. And even then, cold temps keep them too cool for perfect grip. Lower tire pressure slightly to facilitate heating. No idea on lifespan.
  7. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    i have the mitas e09 dakar on back. i can attest to the 'scary' aspect (or i just suck at riding a motorcycle). i was riding last Friday up to the color of the catskills event and it was raining all day. i had no confidence on the wet roads at all. even after the rain ended and the roads were just 'damp' i had no confidence in the traction.

it wasn't until the roads dried and i got the tires scuffed up that they started to feel like they wouldn't come undone under the mildest of cornering.

on the dirt, gravel, and stones going up the mountain they just grabbed tight and didn't let go. very happy with their performance in that environment.
  8. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    really don't understand why everyone is haveing such a hard time getting k60's bought 2 sets last time i needed them and 2 sets when i wore out the last 1 granted they are 140's but haven't had a terrible time getting them might have to wait a week but was able to get them by watching the threads on them. Think they are the tire for these bikes seemto work well everywhere and last
  9. JBruyet

JBruyet Mountain chaser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm trying to stay away from the DOT knobbies because of my commuting. I guess I could do a knobby and drive my Subaru more. But then again I prefer riding the bike. But then again, if I went with knobbies, I'd be better off in the dirt. But then again, but then again, but then again. Sigh.

I will say this, the Karoo Traveler T looks interesting...

tmex, any issues with the 130 on the 606? Any of you others have any problems putting a narrower tire on the rear?

Thanks,

Joe B
  10. OrcasKen

OrcasKen Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm running TKC80's front and rear. Rear is down to 3mm tread in the center with just over 3k on it (10mm to start) - got a new one ready to spoon on sitting here. The front barely looks like it has been used. I wound up running this set 80%+ on tarmac as I took a road trip with friends this summer and didn't take the time to change back to the original Anakees before leaving. Plus I like the flexibility of comfortably turning off onto gravel/dirt anytime more than wanting to double the mileage of the tire.

I've been waiting for the 150 K60 since April and the delivery date keeps moving out, but the 140 seems to be readily available. FWIW, you might consider adding a TKC to the front and a less aggressive tire to the rear for longer life on tarmac - many have reported the K60 140 or 150 rear with the TKC front to be quite good.

One note on the TKC (and other knobbies) - you'll notice some head wobble, particularly at lower speeds, when riding on tarmac. A couple of friends that rode the bike that come from street riding found it a bit unnerving at first. Until they got it on gravel.:lol3
  11. GSlite

GSlite Bothan spy

Oddometer:
    Shinko 700? :dunno
  12. giodog2000

giodog2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know you will not concider the TKC80's cause of what you heard but it's a darn good tire. I'll hit 10.000 Km with them (almost there) . I do not ride my GS like a racer and I'm 40% on tarmac.
    I do push them alot offroad but on tarmac I'm a rather smooth rider so maybe thats why they lasted me that long.

Heard good stuff about the K60's as well...
  13. JBruyet

JBruyet Mountain chaser

Oddometer:
    I just heard back from Moto Amore:

Hello,
    They are still not producing 150’s. We have gotten some good news recently about testing but no ETA yet.
    Our next shipment of tires will be available Nov 12, with plenty of 140's and 90/90-21.
    John B

I think I'll go with a 140 Heidi in back... I'm still not too sure about the front but I'll probably go with the Heidi in front too. That appeals to my anal side.

Thanks again for all the tips, and everyone needs to wait until I get my tires before you all order yours. Got it? :^)

Joe B
  14. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    I ride TKC's and Commute everyday. My last set I got 10K out of the rear and about 16K out of the front. I'm curious to see when people are tossing their tires.
    Here's a pic from my video on changing a rear tire.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZnqzLKfso
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozpLOqbO2U
  15. JBruyet

JBruyet Mountain chaser

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... 10k out of TKCs...? Is that because you're over there on the other side of the mountains where it rains all the time? :evil I may have to consider the TKCs and see what my mileage is with them. Or maybe I'll go with the Heidenaus. I think I have a coin I can flip...

Thanks,

Joe B
  16. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    No issues at all with the 130 size. The D606 is a very wide 130, and actually looks about the same on the bike as a 150.

BTW I am getting 3-4K miles out of a TKC80 when I use it 80/20 road/dirt and much less when 20/80 road/dirt.

Besides the F8, I own a GS12, an HP2, and a 650 Dakar, so I am always experimenting with tires. I have had very poor luck with the Karoo (all flavors). I had pretty much settled on the Mitas E09 rear and Pirelli MT21 up front, but I put a set of D606's on GF's Honda. She likes them so much I thought I would give them a try. We shall see.
  17. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've chewed through three rear TKCs in less than that. I'm getting about 4-5000 Kms out of each one. The fronts holding up OK though.
  18. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    If you ride both pavement and some off road...no other choice for us other than the Heidenau K60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over 18000 KM and we are just mounting our new sets this Saturday because our bikes are at the shop....convenient but they could go another couple of thousand if we really wanted to too!
  19. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    All I hear about the K60's is how long they last. I'm really not interested in riding on a rock on a motorcycle. I'd prefer something a little softer for grip/traction. I'll sacrifice getting a new tire a little more often...

That-said, I've never ridden them so I'm basically talking out of my ass.:wink:
  20. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    you get mileage if you treat the tires well...you can air down off road and on road and have your "softer" ride...but all I can say from now experience...is they are not like riding on rocks even with the pressure up...all about what your priorities are....we want a DS tire that we do not have to change every 10000 km or less....we need tire that can also take us to work everyday...so...the K60 for us is the perfect match and we feel very confident with them on our bikes.:wink: