Boxer Cafe Starter Cover

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Boxer Metal, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    An excellent plan. Starting from the engine rather than another product should remove any unintentional limits to your imagination.

While you are scanning, grab a full image of the front cover and internals as well. I suspect there are some interesting things you could come up with for that end of the engine . . . :wink:
  2. hbkramer

hbkramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    boxer cafes cover is a well made piece,don't think heat is an issue,but don't hv a lot of miles on itt yet.
    I beleve he would remedy the problem if it was.
    God Guy to deal with!
  3. Jon-Lars

Jon-Lars Jon-Lars

Oddometer:
    Hey, Chris, how about sending me some of your rearset kits and stuff so that I can copy them and sell them myself?
  4. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    I've had one ADV rider and one non-forum rider contact me to make them sidestands based on a pic they had of one. The pics were of what they wanted and at what cost. The pics they sent me were of my product!!! :eek1

There are those that believe plagiarism is a form of flattery!!!
  5. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    :photog

Exactly. I have some mills and lathes, too.

.. and actually having an aluminum foundry at my house, I've been thinking about casting my own cover. I wonder if he has the capability in his shop, or if he's farming it out. Here's an idea; once he makes his, I'll borrow it, cast a copy and sell them myself for a couple bucks cheaper. :lol3
  6. Other Bob

Other Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Low class move Chris. :ddog
  7. TDL028

TDL028 man of leisure

Oddometer:
    Who cares?! Why dont you give Chris the benefit of the doubt. Chances are the piece he comes up with will be better and closer than the shitty fiberglass one available. C'mon
  8. walkingbear

walkingbear airhead_motocave

Oddometer:

I second that.. Chris is a good guy ..lay off
  9. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't be difficult to draw one from scratch. Most of the required dimensions are there on the bike, just fill in the blanks with the magic autocad.
  10. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Did everyone complaining miss this post?

Seems to me a cooler head prevailed and he decided to go the right way.

But here's something to chew on.

If he takes and scans the data then makes a new product that is in trademark language
    "Substantially Different" then another part where is that theft?

It's not at all uncommon for aftermarket suppliers to take what someone else has done and make it significantly better.

A direct copy, that's a whole different story, even if it's in a different material. it's still copying the design and that's wrong.
    But I doubt that Boxermetal would do that
  11. Bmw4ever

Bmw4ever Caffeine Junky

Oddometer:
    I can't belive people have hijacked this thread to talk about theft, china, design copycatting and Chris' intentions on selling this cover. Flatracer sells a cast aluminum cover in the UK, boxer cafe sells a fiberglass version in the US yet no one in the US sells a cast aluminum version. So, what's the big deal here??

There is no need to reinvent the wheel if there are covers out there already. I mean it's not surprising at all to see a shop/supplier take this route. As for patents, Chris would only need to add or change a radius, curve length or any other small desgin feature to make it "unique" and not a copycat.
  12. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
  13. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    You ever seen a Ural? Be careful, you may have a meltdown.
  14. Kanticoy

Kanticoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris, some of us out here still support you. Carry on and I'll look forward to your posts. And due to the impeccable service you've given me in the past and the quality of the parts of yours I've used...and probably most importantly: your constant communication with all of us airhead nuts out here in internet land, I'll keep ordering from you and will look forward to your starter covers.

Not all of us are preachy and constantly filling out "hurt feelings reports" out here. When did every third person become so quick to find the "wrong" in every single thing in the world? One of the many ways that mass communication is killing the supportive side of humanity. I for one don't like the feeling of having to be on my toes constantly.

It's a 247/248 motor for cripes sakes! There are only so many ways parts can be made for them. None of us owned the intellectual property to them to begin with!

:beer
  15. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    +1.
  16. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    All of this.

+1
  17. Other Bob

Other Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And + another!

Chris, nobody deserves a "criticism-free pass" on this kind of thing. I hope, in the sincerity of your own mind, like every man honest with himself should, you're not giving yourself one either.

Nobody suggested you should leave and there is no need to ostracize yourself over this. We're adults: we may criticize sharply, but we also forgive.

Bob
  18. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to be so late in posting this, and hope that Chris will see it. So he wanted to copy BoxerCafe's starter cover. They copied it from a European company. In fact, everything they do is a copy of someone else's stuff. Fiberglass, after all, is the perfect medium for duplicating stuff-just ask one of the dozens of companies who built Cobra copies.

Chris' rear sets are a modified copy of San Jose BMWs, who improved upon Knosher's. Just try to buy a set of rear sets from SJBMW these days-or Knosher. The fact is, Chris is providing a service to his fellow hot-rodders.

Judge not...
  19. Bmw4ever

Bmw4ever Caffeine Junky

Oddometer:
    +1

Unfortunately that is not enough for some in this Forum. It's sad to see a good thread turn into a political correctness preaching contest, what a waste!
  20. 98kellrs

98kellrs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +2, it's a sad fact of modern society.

For one badly worded sentence people will criticise and mock and make the most extreme metaphors to blow things out of proportion. All that is really needed is just some clarification on the original meaning.

Sadly my generation (born in the 80's) is the one most commonly plagued by this, but others can be just as bad.

I wish Chris all the best for the future, he has some beautiful parts in his store that are helping keep the interest in these ageing machines as the new generations of riders discover the brilliance that is classic motorcycle ownership.