The Complete KLX250/KLX300 Long Term Review Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. kj7687

kj7687 KJ - just KJ - okay :)

Oddometer:

Yea that's pretty much why I ditched that Two Brothers setup. On my ride home after purchasing the bike (80 miles), I was paranoid as hell and felt like I couldn't do anything when a cop was around (ironically I saw THREE during that one trip lol). I couldn't accelerate or downshift/engine brake, because it would sometimes pop under decel. On my DR200, on the other hand, I can go fist full of throttle at 8,000 RPM right next to a cop and he won't even notice I'm there ;D. I like that! But I can't fault you for wanting that performance. I'm sure it's nice.
  2. zedro

zedro Dirt Nerfer

Oddometer:
    Loud pipes is why we are fighting to get our trail rights back. My 351 with power bomb pipe and Q4 can is a bit quieter than my stock KFX400 system. And the trail club next door in Ontario tests everyone for 96 db, no exceptions.

Oddly enough Quebec's new sound laws has a 100db limit on the roads, higher than their trail requirments I think.
  3. blackvans1234

blackvans1234 Talking to myself...

Oddometer:
    Does any have experience taking the plastic instrument housing off of their bike and putting it back on?I can't get mine to seat properly
    I noticed that it doesn't really fit around the bar properly to begin with...

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Here's the underside, you can see a 2mm gap that wont seem to close...
    [​IMG]
  4. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Inside the housing has a small plastic nipple that must fit into a little hole drilled in the stock bars. To move the switchgear anywhere else on the bar or to use aftermarket bars, you need to trim that nipple from the housing.

Oh, and after trimming the nipple off, you'll probably need to wrap some tape around the bar to get the housing to clamp tight enough to stay in place.

In my opinion, the OEM switchgear is crap.
  5. Wreckster

Wreckster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You get those guards on by yourself blackie?

You also have you rider course tomorrow if I remember correctly...
  6. blackvans1234

Oddometer:
    Wreckster- YES! and tuesday. So i'll be up and running by the end of the week.

I didn't notice a small hole in the bars. I was wondering why the frig it was not fitting... Nor would it slide after I loosened the two screws.

Im glad you think it's crap. Makes it easier to blame the equipment instead of the operator :D
  7. RockabillySlapMatt

RockabillySlapMatt Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    People building into our trails and destroying wildlife is why we are losing our trail :(:
  8. ZFenderguy

ZFenderguy quarter liter beater

Oddometer:
    Just to add to this, when I put my Pro Taper bar on my '13 KLX, I trimmed the plastic off on the instrument side as stated, but on the throttle side, I found it best to leave that on and drill into the bar. I just measured twice and hoped I got it right. It worked out well with minimal drama for me. The left side one is OK if it can move around a little with acceptable resistance, and maybe the bar will be a little stronger in a left side lay down than with a hole drilled in it. I would never remove that little plastic nub on the right side though. Hope this little bit of advice does somebody some good.
  9. taxonomy

taxonomy The Most Liberal Person in the World.

Oddometer:
    Seriously, loud pipes are why I am embarrassed to tell epople I am a motorcyclist. People always ask why motorcycles have to be so loud. Really, whenever someone with loud pipes go by I feel sorry for his family because it must suck to live with someone that inconsiderate.

Anyhow, I have a 351 with a Q4 and it's acceptable. The Supertrapp on the 250 was unacceptable no matter how few plates were in it.
  10. AGrant

AGrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do a lot of cycling as well and when some jacka@$ comes by me and roars his pipes, makes me wanna give him the middle finger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. OldGypsy

OldGypsy FoolForDirt

Oddometer:
    Patagonia, AZ - great area for Dual Sports
    Loud pipes is why we are fighting to get our trail rights back. My 351 with power bomb pipe and Q4 can is a bit quieter than my stock KFX400 system. And the trail club next door in Ontario tests everyone for 96 db, no exceptions.

Losing trail rights because of our behavior is something we can control, losing trails because of development is something entirely different and pretty much out of our control. :puke1
  12. RockabillySlapMatt

RockabillySlapMatt Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I suppose the problem isn't the loud pipes, its the people lobbying against them is greater than those lobbying to protect one's right to own them.

I look at it (since I ride on the street) if just one person looks over at my when I'm riding next to them and knows I'm there, then that's one less person that might run into my lane.

But if I were to ride on the trails behind homes, I most definitely would want a quiet exhaust, no one want to hear a dirt bike zooming past their neighborhood early in the morning. However, if you live in a cabin miles away from others, then that's not my problem, you chose to live in the wilderness where the trails are. You aren't going to lobby wolves to stop howling and bees to stop buzzing because you want "peace and quiet out in nature" :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  13. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    :huh That's a very ignorant viewpoint, sarcastic or not.
  14. zedro

zedro Dirt Nerfer

Oddometer:
    Is it the "I don't what to hear obnoxious ear shattering sounds" lobby that is the real threat to motorcyclists safety?
  15. sweetwater

sweetwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Focus gentelmen...in order to realign the KLX review thread, I offer this:

GREEN...
    [​IMG]

vs. RED...
    [​IMG]

All I need now is one like Matt's: Black and Blue 'tard!

I like these bikes so much that I have decided I will not buy another "big dual sport" this season and will instead be piloting Red and Green on every single trip we take whether short or long, street or OHV. A financial set back took my Sand Blast Rally plans away but NCRacer and I are gonna make up for it this summer :D
  16. palmstatecrawler

palmstatecrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bikers should be allowed to have loud pipes. If cars can have stereo systems that shake my house as they drive by I don't see why bikers can't have loud pipes. I have 2 fmf powercore4 pipes and an akra. They are not unreasonably loud. I have quiet cores in both pc4's. All my pipes range between 92 and 96db. The Harleys with straight pipes drive me a little crazy but it's their right to have them.

Now back to the KLX!

[​IMG]
  17. sweetwater

sweetwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of NCRacer, he managed to misappropriate one of my old VFR's panniers. I think I'm gonna make him tote our lunch everywhere we go:

[​IMG]

The funniest thing about this set up is watching him jump. His ass spends as much time touching that box as his seat. I gotta get a shot of that...

...and you can see he voted for Green over Red.
  18. AGrant

AGrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm partial to red. But my oldest son likes green!

And I hear what you're saying about these little bikes, road and dirt, vs a bigger bike. I love mine. So much fun. The only reason I would want a bigger bike is to make it more comfortable for my son riding on the back. However, we did almost 100 miles Sunday and he was quite the little trooper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. blackvans1234

Oddometer:
    With that camo, someone may not seem him there or on the back
    :rofl

Day 1 of the msf complete. It was weird not being on my klx2fiddy. It was nice being able to flat foot a bike though.
    As for the family jewels being crushed up against the tank.... I'll just have to suffer...
  20. mjs91882

mjs91882 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a KLX 250 with 6,500 miles. Can anyone tell me how many miles they have on there's and how long these bikes can last mileage wise? Thanks