Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. JDK111

JDK111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't say I haven't done that once or twice myself:ricky.... I guess us guys with quiet pipes gotta put ourselves in good position :lol3
  2. havocdog

havocdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Commuting home in the dark two nights ago. Made a quick stop and turned right-on-red into right lane of two eastbound lanes. I accelerated quickly to match speed of cars traveling in the left lane, but kept them ahead of me. Just before right lane ended, I noticed headlights come up behind me quickly in the lane to my left. Knowing that my lane would end shortly, I maintained a position just ahead of the headlights and then merged in front of them (slight pucker factor). Headlights tailgated me uncomfortably closely :eek1 for about a mile before lighting up the red lights - pulled me over for failure to yeild to him :huh. He asked if I would have done it differently if I'd known it was police car - I said absolutely - just being honest - he laughed and let me go with a warning :D. I'm still not sure what I did wrong or what got his attention (maybe the hi-viz).
  3. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    Both of these happened to me a few months ago on my commute from boblingen, Germany to Kelly Barracks, stuttgart Germany. Both on my Buell XB12X Ulysses.

#1 while heading in at about 7am The traffic was backing up and coming to a stop for a signal light, I was 15 or 18 vehicles back. I slid over to the left turn lane which was empty to slink up to the front and filter, hopefully catching the green and powering out in front (all legal there). As I slowed and slipped into the left turn lane, my right side case just rubbed/bumped the left rear corner of a BMW sedan, it was my fault so once in front of the vehicle, I turned sround and motioned for the driver to pull over so I could pay or do whatever needed doing to make it right. His girlfriend was yelling at him and giving him a truckload of grief over something. He just waved me on and made a don't worry about it gesture. SUPER COOL GERMAN DUDE.

#2 couple days later, on the way home about 1700hrs. two lanes stoped at light right lane ends about 20 meters after the intersection. I am in the right, BMW Z4 in the left, light changes and the Z4 floors it in an attempt to keep me from getting in front of him I guess. It worked, I slipped in behind him, 100 meters later road curves to right and comes to a congested stop about 25 cars from a stop light. I filter up to the front and leave easily, but not before I stop next to the Z4, raise my visor and say "Nice race car, too bad it's 6 feet wide." the driver says "I thought you were a German, what base are you from" like we were buddies now. I just kept going.

Haters Gonna Hate! They are jealous when we filter to the front in a bad traffic jam, but they gloat when it is very cold and wet. Just haters.

I'm not saying Americans are bad drivers, but after three years of not being passed on the right, everybody using turn signals and mirrors, it is very difficult to keep calm in Indiana.
  4. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Sent from a friend that lives in Mombasa, Kenya. He saw this on a drive the other day.

[​IMG]
  5. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    I left home this morning with clear skys and a temp around ~19F. No ice on the roads at all minus the minor little patches in corners and I am headed down a local highway climbing to 60 in the right lane and the limit is 65. I notice this state trooper off on some little pull-off watching traffic, but since I am under, I think no big deal. After I pass him, I notice him pull out in a rapid manner and ride up on my ass where he proceeds to stay for about 1/2 mile. He pulls into the left lane and passes me shaking his head looking at me.
    I mean WTF was that all about?
  6. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    He probably ran your plate to see if the bike was stolen. I think the head shake was because he thought you were nuts.
  7. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dont want to do damage. Just want to get their attention.
  8. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    Stolen because I was riding at that temp with full gear? It was actually fairly reasonable
  9. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    He probably thought that riding a motorcycle under those conditions is dangerous, and he was driving his 4,000 lbs vehicle mere feet away from you at 60 mph to inform you of those dangers.
  10. JDK111

JDK111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't figure out the answer to your own question?..... I think he was just wanting to have a front row seat at a wipeout, but he got dispatched to another call.
  11. SomethingClever

SomethingClever sick life

Oddometer:
    This. I always expect some dumbfuck to make this move without looking and plan accordingly when on the bike.

In my car I see the same thing all the time... but I'm not as careful to always leave myself an escape route. So of course a guy nailed me pulling the exact move. :rofl
  12. GaryM

GaryM Huh? What?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]as I was riding to work one morning. I would have flipped her off but I don't think she would have noticed.
  13. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    Agree. The last movie the rider should (IMO) have slowed down carefully and easy behind the SUV. I am willing to bet the rider saw it coming, but chose to continue. The first video looks like a classic blind spot case. Maybe its just me, but whenever possible, choose to be the defensive part of the equation. It always pays off on a bike.
  14. Larry Ferguson

Larry Ferguson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, years ago I'm driving my cage down the interstate, yeah that's what we call it here, and I'm following a slower driver. I checked my mirrors, put on my blinker, and double check my mirrors again and see a bike this time. He blows by me at about Mach 3 or so, making me glad I looked again. It just makes me think, sometimes Pogo was right.
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

What is a "blinker" ??? Is that like a wanker only different?

p.s. Where is "here"? (where you call it an interstate) Fill out your profile.
  16. Nitro_Fluffy

Nitro_Fluffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blinker is turn signal. If he was on an interstate, he's in the U.S.
  17. Larry Ferguson

Larry Ferguson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry. The land of Rushmore.
  18. Long Gone

Long Gone Objectivist

Oddometer:
    Bunk. The guy put on his blinker true, but he moved as soon as the other guy to his left passed his front end. That's a wide angle lens on the camera so there was no way he had a safe space into which to move. Despite what we see every day, blinkers don't give one the authority or space into which to change lanes.
  19. KLRKowboy

KLRKowboy clueless rabble

Oddometer:
    On the other hand, you shouldn't assume that someone using a turn signal is asking your permission move over.
    I use my signals as a courtesy to inform folks of my intention to change lanes. If they decide to speed up to cut me off (and they will) that's when the problem starts.

:evil:D
  20. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I got something strange today. I was driving to work with another vehicle in the lane beside me. We go over a hill, and there is a car on the shoulder a little ways up. No big deal right? Wrong, the car was going about 60 mph :huh And it stayed on the shoulder for miles :eek1 I have no idea what it was doing, but both myself and the car beside me were scared to pass it.

Anyway, very strange to see someone drive down the shoulder of the highway at 60 mph, no hazard lights or anything. Person inside looked like all was well (as well as a moran can look anyway).