Your favorite rides in Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by klr650goldwing, Mar 17, 2013.

1. klr650goldwing

klr650goldwing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'll be making like a horse turd and 'hitting the trail' for Alaska this summer (2013). We'll be riding KLRs and WRs etc. And we'd like to hear about some of those places that really, definately shouldn't be missed. From what I've learned from Alcan Rider the whole dang state is gorgeous, so this is perhaps an impossible request. In addition to the Alaska Highway, we'll ride the Glenn, Denali, Richardson, Haines, Tailor, Top of the World and Dempster; and a few side trails here and there.

This very well could be the only trip we take to Alaska, since most of us are retired and might just kick to old bucket at any moment. So if you have been there and done that and know of something really cool somewhere where we'll be we'd be grateful to hear about your tale.
  2. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Planning to do off road trails too ?..
    Most u got listed is nice. Ride to Hope & Ekultna is also nice.
  3. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Mostly Vertical

Oddometer:
    You might think of adding the road to McCarthy and the one to Manley Hot Springs. Otherwise you have it covered pretty dang well. Alcan Rider is the man to listen to. I assume you have discovered the "Alaska Primer" thread in this forum. If not, then check it out.

Surprisingly, we have little attractive true off-road routes up here, but the numbered routes are often so bad its like being off road. Most of the trails are beaten so hard by the 4-wheelers that they consist of muddy trails with big round rocks hidden in the puddles.

If you drive the routes you have named, you will eat up a good part of the summer. Take youir time and enjoy.
  4. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you come up after the first of July should ride from Palmer to willow via hatcher pass. It is hands down IMHO the most amazing place in Alaska. Palmer side is paved and twisty willow side is gravel and potholes. But we'll worth the time and effort.
  5. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Mostly Vertical

Oddometer:
    +1 on what he said. I forgot what is in my own back yard.
  6. klr650goldwing

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. This is just the kind of information I'd been hoping for. Your suggestions are going on my list. And, yes, we do hope to ride as much dirt as possible.
  7. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definately Hatcher pass. Also a fun ride is into the Wrangell St Elias park to Nabesna. There is a nice B & B type lodge called the Devils Mountain Lodge. Beautiful 50 mile ride off the Tok cut off road. Nice people and great food st the lodge. McCarthy is nice ride. Eagle, off the top of the world is a nice ride also. Circle is a nice scenic ride. The hot springs are closed but you can camp on the guys lawn next door for $10. You didn't mention Deadhorse. I would definately go there. And go to the Homer Spit and camp on the beach at the end of the spit. Have fun. I did two months up there last summer and want to go back.
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  8. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    As I was planning our trip up there in 2011, I had lofty expectations of hitting all those roads and then some. Then I got my copy of The Milepost and that all changed. Alaska is HUGE. And going from point A to point B might involve 300-350 miles..... easily. The Denali Hwy is only about 135 miles across, normally a 2-2-1/2 hour ride. We spent the better part of a day crossing it with stops. You make no mention of The Kenai which is just spectactular, especially as you go down to Homer. What I ended up doing is looking at where we really wanted to go and then figured how many days I would be actually riding in the state. We spent a total of 8 days in the state and put on about 2,500 miles. And that included a day and a half spent in Denali and included a fly in to the mountain as well. And one of the things to plan for and remember is that often the road into a place ( Valdez and Homer for instance ) is also the road out.
  9. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gezerbike
    I have never heard a trip explained so perfectly. I live up here, and am planning a trip to Prince on Wales Island (google it) It has approx 2500 driveable miles on it alone
  10. Tom327Cat

Tom327Cat T-Dub rider

Oddometer:
    What is the name of that campground at the end of the Jonesville mine road out of Sutton? Nice Trails of all types if you want to get off road a bit.
  11. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good post. I was fortunate enough to have 8 weeks to do my Alaska trip from Lake Tahoe. A little over a week to get there, and a little over a week to get back left me about 5 weeks in Alaska. Not really enough but enough to do a good sweep of the state and have some fun.
    Gezerbike mentions in and out of Valdez and Homer. I rode into Valdez and took the ferry to Whittier. In Scagway I took the Ferry to Haines. This avoided back tracking and I could cover more ground. There is almost always room for a motorcycle on standby on the ferries. You could probably take a ferry out of Homer, but I did ride in and out of the Homer Spit.
  12. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Original plan was to take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier. We were camped in Copper Center right on the river and decided to ride down to Valdez and then come back up. Just as well,because the fog in the sound was so bad you couldn't see 100 yds. And it gave us the chance to go to the King Mountain Lodge in Chickaloon. The place was a hoot ! I only had 2 regrets about the trip. First is I didn't know about Hatcher Pass...we could have rode it right after landing in Anchorage and second was not finding a way and time to go to McCarthy. But really, it is such a spectaclar and majestic place to see, and be in, it's hard to say I had any regrets. To be honest, I'm thinking of flying back up there and this time renting bikes and going to some of the places I didn't get a chnace to see.
  13. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just finished reading the adventure motorcyclists guide to Alaska. I was born and raised here and have traveled the state numerous times. That book is amazing the information and phone numbers It has in it. If your wanting to get a ton of useful motorcycle info for Alaska it's a great read.
  14. klr650goldwing

Oddometer:
    I have that book too. And almost have it memorized. Reading about Alaska gets me all excited and with a foot of snow on my lawn I NEED something to get excited about. I appreciate every single thought and idea you all have just shared. Our trip will be better because of you. Thank you.